UK Politics

Discuss events that have an impact on you and the world today. A home for honest, serious, and open discussion.

Re: UK Politics

Unread postby Sun Fin » Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:18 pm

Sorry for the late response – term has started again and I’ve been so busy that I’ve barely had time to read your daily posts and articles, let alone respond to a significant reply :haha:

Dong Zhou wrote:I agree with the first line. I also agree that MP's (among others) have got themselves into this mess and it must be tempting for May to say "told you so" and she would be absolutely right. There has been very little awareness from those opposing Boris at how badly they have played their hands since Brexit vote and till they own up to those, mistakes will be repeated.

Obviously I disagree with the last bit, certainly proroguing has always been used tactically (Major did it to avoid cash for questions scandal as PM) and Remainers are certainly capable of rank hypocrisy. However there is reason constitutional experts have condemned it (not just remainers) and given nobody has done something like this for a long long time and never to such length, I'm not sure it sticks that Remainers would have done the same. Other tricks? 100% but not suspending parliament for a record time.

I think the reason I don’t view this as being too bad is that Boris attempted to use the delay to allow legislation that MPs had already passed to come into force. That to me isn’t an attempt to undermine parliament. We may have to disagree on this, and I do see I’m in a minority. But I think that is quite different to trying to force Parliament to accept something it hasn’t voted for.

Dong Zhou wrote:Hansard Society condemn Boris move, Lord Kerskale former head of civil service condemns, Lord Laverne former clerk of Commons condemns it, constitutional experts condemn it but the Speaker, the man who has to protect the Commons independence from the executive, is wrong to stand up for the Commons against the executive? I don't get that.

Bercow should go afterwards becuase, fair or not, he is now tainted by this crises and new blood will be needed. He should have gone earlier over culture of bullying and it says a lot about opposition and several Remainers that they protected him. There have been one or two calls where Bercow has been on the dodgy side but not this one

Since when has anybody suspended parliament in a moment like this and for this amount of time? Closest anybody can find is 1948 on the first one, nobody has found comparable for the sheer time scale.

This is taken from the article you posted:

There was no need for this, of course. With a different person in the chair, you could expect the speaker to stay above the fray in such matters. Just as the Queen hasn’t knocked out a quick press release from Balmoral giving her two cents, so previous speakers would have kept quiet. Even if they did stick their oar in, other speakers might have given a more rounded view of where this planned prorogation sits in parliamentary precedent. Bercow could have pointed out that there is always a recess during September and October for party conferences; that the Queen’s Speech is long overdue; and that the PM’s plan will lead to the loss of just a handful of sitting days.

There was, however, no chance of any such approach. Bercow is someone who has always loved being the centre of attention. As his biographer, I should know. For him, supporting a cause means being the loudest voice in the room. When he was a Eurosceptic, Bercow was so fervent in his beliefs that he even vowed to carry on using French francs on his holidays, in protest at the introduction of the euro. Now he’s decided that Brexit needs to be stopped, his personality drives him, inexorably, to take up the fight more fiercely than anyone else.

The one speaker convention is that he is meant to stay impartial. Can you really say that he has done that? Instead, as the author says he has become the loudest voice opposing Brexit. I don’t have an issue with him criticising Javid for breaking convention, but it is hypocritical when he has been doing it himself. Like utterly changing the way SO24 can be used. I still think that the way Bercow is using the seat of speaker is fundamentally a greater break with convention.

Anyway, to move beyond this… I find the Johnson purges chilling. The cleansing of his own side makes Corbyn’s half hearted attempts to do the same look friendly and I’ve been criticising him for them. Thatcher never through her wets out of the party, and the sheer hypocrisy after so many of them defied May’s government for so long. Taken alongside the police speech, I do find the direction this government is moving in worrying. I hope that calmer heads prevail and they pull back soon.
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:02 pm

Will respond tomorrow but I share much of the concerns you have in last paragraph. The amount of centrist Tories that are walking away is really really alarming

No elections for awhile, Benn bill passes, Boris struggling, row with police, Rees-Mogg apologises, more retirements
-Papers on the brother split and election chances, Telegraph saying Labour and SNP have agreed to no election till after October 19th. Europe's press on Boris defeats

-Opposition parties agree to vote down Monday's election attempt, possibly ruled out till November, Thornberry leans towards no election ic October given Boris is a serial liar and the sweary Cummings, Blackford says they don't trust Boris and parliament must determine timing rather then Boris and no confidence may have to wait till after proroguing

-Benn bill passes Lords and will be given Royal Assent Monday

-West Yorkshire Police & Crime Commissioner Mark Burns-Williamson (Labour) is furious Boris used his police like this when he thought the speech would be about police but turned into political one about Brexit, Cooper says she will be writing to cabinet secretary and the police commissioner to complain about police being dragged into political speech. Chief constable of West Yorkshire police John Robins says Boris speech was not what was agreed, it was meant to be about police recruitment and disappointed it turned into party political broadcast. Boris says his spech was meant to be about public services but felt he had to bore on about Brexit but didn't want to, felt very bad about the fainting but she was fine and staff checked on her.

-Rees-Mogg apologises after number 10 backed hastily away and chief medical officer for England Professor Sally Davies wrote to complain. Afterwards Hancock, who as Health Secretary has said zilch while row was going on, welcomed the apology and says he stands up for doctors (having utterly failed to do so)

-Gove thanks Benn for calling one of his answers very Sir Humphrey

-Vadaker says there is no such thing as clean break Brexit, says he believes there will be a period of no deal but when talks restart the same issues will be placed on the table, open to backstop alternatives that are realistic but they have not heard any proposals from Boris, sees no upsides of no deal and fears it but is prepared.

-Damien Collins backs Bury returning to football via League 2 next season and Culture Committee will hold inquiry

-Notes(released via court) from Boris show he saw parliament's recall in September as a rigmarole created by "girly swot" Cameron and he had made decision to progue weeks earlier, he warned cabinet high chance talks with EU would fail. Hugh court rules proguing is legal but I would expect an appeal to supreme court

-Boris visits Aberdeen to promise £51.4m for Scottish farmers over the next two years in what is seen as a blatant pre-election bid, SNP point out the row this funding is sorting (EU agricultural policy funding spread) was brought up three years ago so a bit late. Boris says we are going out, he is not going to resign if forced to ask for extension, part of him still yearns to believe Loch Ness monster exists, will use powers of persuasion to get deal, can get US trade deal on meat without having to accept hormone laced beef, will unleash a golden age of infrastructure investment. Is a sense Boris is struggling and exhausted after more stumbling and chaotic answers

-Seems to be a strong belief Boris is going to try to culture war the north

-McDonnell warns if bankers don't get act together, Labour may do something about their bonuses

-Boris hires Tim Montgomerie as adviser on social justice to work out of cabinet office

-N.Ireland Minister Nick Hurt retires, birth of two children and Brexit are the reasons given so going for a new challenge. From old Tory family, a Green Cameroon who was trusted by successive governments in junior posts though didn't always come across as in touch with the public.

-Claire Perry to retire, a sparky and fun performer in Commons and media but able to adjust the mood and hold her own when it got heated, held ministerial posts under several governments and may have reached cabinet over time (though May allowed her to attend with energy post), part of the centre-Remain wing

With election on mind, MP's standing down is fair enough. The sheer amount of centre Tories going however is scary

=====

-Sir Major urges Boris to get rid of his over mighty advisers (element of medieval times going on here with court vs Cummings) as always ends badly and a change of tone is needed and abuse of doctors, business and half the country must stop, a weaker EU will leave UK more vulnerable to strong and hostile world powers

-Lisa Nandy northern towns are not intolerant little Englanders as Westminster leaders imagine

-Plaid won't back election vote, Farage says Boris can't win without backing of Brexit party but a pact would make them unstoppable

-Jess Philips with a devastating attack on Tories sitting on there hands while Boris does the equivalent of sacking Harman, Vaziey says he may consider standing as an independent against Tory, Harman jokes her human rights committee may have to intervene but warns Tories should be worried by loss of likes of Dame Spelman

-Boris team give lobby "JFC: Totally Spineless Chicken" buckets

-Umunna to stand for Lib Dems in The Cities of London & Westminster seat, Lib Dems already have candidate in his own seat of Streatham (and this may be more winnable)

-Holly Rigby came across badly on polticslive

====

-Iain Watson election manoeuvring

-Kuessenberg ] Boris strategy off to bad start

-Lynsey Hanley Labour till Corbyn and Boris misread working class meaning of community

-Professor Meg Russel Boris shows we need constitutional reform

-Solon Solomon time to form a centre-right party
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:45 pm

Best of luck with the next term!

Brexit, purge, cabinet rumours
-Papers on Boris trapped by election dilemma, Mail rails against MP's for failure to have election

-Some rumours cabinet demanding plan B and some moving against Cummings

-Boris writes to Tory members saying Labour have left him no choice but to seek an election, Jenrick says people are sick of watching politicians bicker so should be election

-MP's preparing legal case for if Boris tries to ignore law demanding he seeks extension

-Foster rules out running for Westminster seat

-Vadaker not optimistic Monday meeting with Boris will lead to breakthrough

-Boris says he will talk to the purged and try to build bridges

-Police Federation says all will reflect that Boris political speech using police was wrong decision

====

-Political Thinking by Nick Robinson sees Alistair Burt speak powerfully about the purge, what it means to those purged and the real dangers this means

-Clive Lewis Labour now leads Remain

-Sir Bone says party better off without Burt (really? Famed as one of the nicest figures in Westminster, a man who held foreign office posts with distinction and has served the party so loyally?), Sir Fallon warns purge sends wrong message to five million Tory Remainers and hopes they can appeal

-Gyimah to stand at next election

-Claire Perry says she still backs Boris brave election strategy

=====

-Freedland three questions that will decide election

-Chris Whiting feels Lib Dems should have refused Dr Lee

I think the reason I don’t view this as being too bad is that Boris attempted to use the delay to allow legislation that MPs had already passed to come into force. That to me isn’t an attempt to undermine parliament. We may have to disagree on this, and I do see I’m in a minority. But I think that is quite different to trying to force Parliament to accept something it hasn’t voted for.

Ok I think I see where your coming from.

Your right that the logical consequence of parliament's deadline is no deal if a deal isn't agreed but that isn't the same as parliament backs no deal. However It is fairly well established they oppose no deal even if they faff about on getting an actual deal, so using tricks trying to rail road them into no deal was not going to go down well

The one speaker convention is that he is meant to stay impartial. Can you really say that he has done that? Instead, as the author says he has become the loudest voice opposing Brexit. I don’t have an issue with him criticising Javid for breaking convention, but it is hypocritical when he has been doing it himself. Like utterly changing the way SO24 can be used. I still think that the way Bercow is using the seat of speaker is fundamentally a greater break with convention.

Speakers are meant to 1) be quiet (which was never likely when Bercow was elected to be fair to all sides), 2) neutral, 3) protect parliament against the executive. In proroguing, given that the experts including those who had served in the Commons, felt Boris was endangering to the legislature, number 3 trumps number 2 for a Speaker I would think.

Bercow is known to not backed Brexit (in this day and age, the days of not knowing the likely political stance of a Speaker is gone for better or worse) but he hasn't been loud. Bercow has always been willing to go against convention to strengthen parliament against the executive (Javid went against convention that stops executive abusing their time so fits) which made him popular (outside of government and a few Tories) until he strengthened parliament's hand on Brexit then that willingness became more divisive though the Brexit MP's who are constitutional players have tended to disagree with calls rather then complain about bias.

Where I did have issue and felt (bar the bullying culture issue where he should have been sacked, that is in post shows all parties do not care about bullying) he crossed the line was there was a traditionally unamednable bill, Bercow ruled it was amendable (which both sides of backbenches expected he would) but Brexiteers were not told till too late so their planned amendments had been pulled. That was wrong, Bercow should have given them 24 hours (or some appropriate time) to lay down amendments, failure to do so was biased

Anyway, to move beyond this… I find the Johnson purges chilling. The cleansing of his own side makes Corbyn’s half hearted attempts to do the same look friendly and I’ve been criticising him for them. Thatcher never through her wets out of the party, and the sheer hypocrisy after so many of them defied May’s government for so long. Taken alongside the police speech, I do find the direction this government is moving in worrying. I hope that calmer heads prevail and they pull back soon.

Yeah I have been critical of Corbyn's Labour for the stuff they have put their own MP's through. Leaving aside the abuse, Corbyn's supporters on deselection have been perhaps more talk then action (or successful action) while Corbyn has rarely acted himself. Jess Philips has spoken powerfully of how Tories have worried and commiserated with her on the potential Labour purges but watched silently as Boris has gutted a wing of the party.

I don't recall any leader of the right taking out a wing of the party like this. There has always been a few whip removals here or there but as you say Thatcher to her wets, Sir Major to his b words, Cameron to the hard wing, May to those who constantly undermined her. If your not the winning faction, one expects some exiles to backbenches and bar a few token figures, not getting into the big ranks, that is politics and they have to wait for their time in the sun again but not to be purged.

This does reek of Cummings burn the world, break the system and the power then rebuild it to our liking but whatever his advise, the final call is with Boris. While some objections are being raised in cabinet apparently, one wonders how much of this is only happening becuase Boris looks like a loser right now. Very worrying that this idea now creeps into others heads as acceptable, that the big church policy is being wiped away and I don't expect calmer heads to prevail, Boris has power and will do only he (legally) can to keep it. We rely on conventions which rely on everyone acting properly and goodwill, this becomes a problem when someone is willing to ignore those and use the executive power to their full extent
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:11 pm

Rudd resigns Tory party, Brexit, Labour reitrees
-Papers on Rudd with Sunday Mirror doing best headline, suspicions Boris will try to sabotage EU and ignore the Benn bill, Sunday Telegraph backs the purge

-Rudd resigns as DWP Minister and the Tory Whip in show of support to the 21. Doesn't believe Boris main goal is having a deal anymore (though believes Boris wants a deal), she can't stand by while MP's are purged. Says much more effort going into no deal rather then deal and updates she has got haven't been reassuring, the purge was an attack on decency and democracy and an act of political vandalism. In interviews sye has asked for progress report and got one page summary, is no evidence of a deal, purge was a symbol government rejects moderates, was refused access to government legal advice on proroguing and they were only told on the morning Boris tried it. Tone of government is wrong, leaders not to unite and calm rather then stoke divisions, Rees-Mogg rebelled 100 times and stopped Brexit so why is he in cabinet and usually loyal figures purged, doesn't know Cummings and better to hold leader then adviser to account.

Number 10 says sad to see a talented minister go but willingness to go no deal is a requirement to serve, accuses her of seeking headlines, Labour says Boris government is falling apart, rebels praise her bravery while the cowardly Hancock says he is gutted. Morgan, Buckland and Hancock have made clear they will stay on, rumours Rudd will run as independent but not in her current seat

Devastating for Boris in terms of Westminster (it may not matter so much to public). Rudd was the (along with Morgan) "look I'm moderate, I have the centre-right Remainy support", a big name in Westminster and she has walked not only from his cabinet but from his party. She has handed his doubters ammunition about if he really is looking for deal as he told the soft-Brexit wing and what exactly the progue legal advice is, it is another drip drip drip against Boris authority.

-The purge has impacted Treasury Select Committee chair race as has to be a Tory so Greg Clark, Greening, Stephen Hammond and Gauke are out, expected Stride, Baldwin, Hollinrake and Garnier remain in running

-Government to stand a candidate against Bercow as Leadsom rails against Bercow. This is going to be a problem and fuel distrust though I'm not against the idea as such (I feel there needs to be a better way for speaker to be free from threat while giving voters in seat a chance to have their say)

-Barclay says doing everything they can for deal but EU is being impossible on backstop, seems Soubry was advised by police not to speak at a Remain rally so pulled out with arrests made on both sides, Raab says Brexit delay draws us further into quicksand, rebels knew the consequences of their actions, having a careful look as to what law requires (ie how they can get around Benn's bill).

McDonnell says signals from EU are they would extend, would campaign for remain and best to be hones about Labour splits on Brexit. Spanish acting cabinet meeting weekly for no deal prep, Baroness Chakrabarti says Boris is being un-British and is "testing the law" what one should tell kids and the poor to do, French foreign minister Jean-Yves Le Drian says UK needs to tell EU what it wants and threatened veto. Vadaker floats N.Ireland only backstop

-Javid says there are meetings that show they want deal but can't cite any proposals and Benn bill not helping, Boris will obey the law but neither seek extension or resign, hopes they can bring back the purged into the party. Don't need electoral pact with Brexit party but doesn't rule it out

-Boris writes to Corbyn saying back him for election, if not he will go on regardless. Javid (sun) makes an election pitch

-Defence Select Committee launches inquiry into Cobham takeover with Dr Lewis known to be concerned

-Therese Coffey replaces Rudd, big promotion from environment, part of the Remainer wing of the party so Boris trying to show he has not abandoned that wing of the party, Rudd has welcomed her choice. A competent junior minister, well versed in Brexit prep give Defra role, only thing that has really come across as DWP interest is backing free enterprise report on pensioners paying national insurance and I expect Labour will push on this.

-Chief whip Mark Spencer told Greening of expulsion by voicemail and refused to call her back.

-McDonnell stands by Scottish future is for Scotland to decide but wouldn't be in early years of Labour and will be no deals with SNP, confirms he is looking at allowing renters to buy the homes they are in

-Eyes (including number 10) on N.Ireland Secretary Julian Smith on if he will resign, has had major row in cabinet over proroguing and the lack of legal advice given to cabinet

-While Buckland has said talks of resignation are wide of mark, he has pointedly said he has had a talk with Boris about obeying the law which, as Lord Chancellor, he is duty bound to uphold

-Lord Lexden, official historian of the Conservative party, says never have the Tories removed the whip from so many at one time and combined with hinting at breaking the law, this isTories 4th great crises in it's history.

======

-Lidington says would be dangerous precedent for Boris to ignore Benn bill and the law and tyrants would be able to use British refusal to obey law to do justify own actions, Sir Grieve and Lord MacDonald says it could become a prison matter, Hollinrake would resign the whip if Boris ignores law.

Hammond when Hancock urges one nation Tories to fight on "Sorry Matt, I’m afraid the Conservative Party has been taken over by unelected advisors, entryists and usurpers who are trying to turn it from a broad church into an extreme right-wing faction. Sadly, it is not the party I joined.", Lord Young says language needs to calm down a bit and May's deal is best way forward.

-Grieve defends parliament's actions and urges Boris to obey the law

-In bad timing Angela Smith joins Lib Dems, again adds to sense of Lib Dem momentum with a three new addition in a week (even if Smith is perhaps the least biggest splash), Lib Dems highlighting her opposition to anti-Semitism and Remain. Messed up at ChangeUk's launch but a regular committee member and a good backbench campaigner

-John Mann retires to become anti-Semitism tsar (one of May's last appointments) and was given such abuse on Thursdays, says he will never forgive Corbyn for allowing party be taken over by anti-Semitism and hijacked Labour's soul, can't ask his people t back someone who has failed on anti-Semitism and sexual harassment, urges Corbyn to resign as the main block to a landslide.

An independent minded figure and Brexiteer, pushed for Brown to go, headache for Miliband and strongly opposed to Corbyn on anti-Semitism and fundamental disagreements on policy, a regular on Treasury Select Committee where his pugnacious style had it's moments, a capable media performer

-Paul Farrelly to retire, holds a slim majority but has had the seat for eighteen years and feels it is unfair on his young family to continue. A local lad and a Remainer in a Brexiteer area, been a select committee member including long standing on Culture committee and was a good questioner though perhaps not always got on with everybody

-Lord Young, former Leader of the Commons, wants Reees-Mogg sacked as a way of restoring trust and restoring a voice of the Commons in cabinet

=====

-Fintan O'Toole Boris weaknesses are being exposed

-Beth Rigby on Boris has lost family and party but will continue scorched earth Brexit
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:48 pm

Bercow to retire, Brexit, another government defeat
-Bercow retiring at end of month as speaker and will retire at election, against tradition of electing new Speaker at start of a parliamentary term, one suspects Leadsom move has paid off. He thanks staff and says he always tried to be champion of the backbenches, Commons filled with those with a sense of public duty, Speaker has been greatest honour and he wishes his successor good fortune. Given applause when finished, Corbyn says Bercow has changed way job is done like the way he has gone to schools to explain parliament, Gove says Bercow was a tenacious backbenchers and Speaker, he acted in the best tradition and held executive to account, Benn praises a reforming Speaker, Sir Bone says he disagreed with some of his rulings but felt he was an outstanding speaker but some on Tory benches left rather then listen while one suspects some (with far more reasons) current and ex-Common staffers may also have wanted to turn off.

Bercow as an MP was before my time but I do remember him having a reputation for flamboyance, charisma, an acid tongue and arrogance, a man who had gone from hard-right to those who wondered if he was better suited to Labour having strongly disagreed with Michael Howard on many things, was sacked twice from shadow cabinet with IDS and him disagreeing on LGBT figures adopting children with Bercow for and IDS whipping party against. Worked cross party on issues like LGBT rights and autism (of which he had a personal interest). Fair to say when Michael Martin was ousted in disgrace following his bad handling of expenses scandal, Bercow was not the Tories pick (though George Young would surely have been an excellent speaker) but Gordon Brown and Labour cheated convention, Bercow was a Tory so fitted but was a controversial choice given track record and it took Bercow a long time to shake off "Labour's pick" and "not a true Tory".

Bercow was not a traditional speaker, refusing the outfit and was never going to be quiet, for his opponents the arrogance was always there, they felt he made events about himself and to quick to jump at likes of PMQ's, the enjoying the trappings of office more then they felt he should, they felt he was harsher on Tories then Labour. Cameron's government had a fair few who resented him but notable an attempt to reform voting rules to secret ballot was seen as a coup against Bercow and Tory MP's rallied to Bercow. Whatever his failings, he had support among backbenchers to help select committee's, families and the like with a his reforming agenda, because he held ministers and executive to account with urgent questions, longer sessions if MP's wanted it and flexibility. His work behind the scenes like going to schools to explain parliament was, for many, worth it even if it led to show-boating on Trump and other occasions.

Where Bercow has been an issue is his acid tongue, while can be funny when cutting the over-powerful down to size, has led to hurt and anger with lesser ministers and he has always seemed too ready to use it, he made enemies including with his own clerks. Bercow faced allegations of bullying and worse, at the very least he oversaw a toxic culture and should have gone as the head for that, he was kept in office by opposition and Remainers because they felt Brexit battles were more important then bullying in a stain on the Commons though understandable critic Leadsom became a lot more formidable after that as she pushed for reforms. Then on Brexit, those who had loved his willingness to drop convention if need be to hold executive to account where a tad less keen when he did it to hold executive onto account on Brexit, he made some controversial calls and Brexiteers suspected he was trying to fight Brexit. The Brexiteer press wanted his head for "defying the people" and he was losing support among certain Tory Brexiteer MP's (not always without reason, once he allowed a Remainer amendment on an "unamendable bill" but didn't tell Brexiteers that which felt horribly unfair), he had been an increasingly divisive figure

Early runner is Lindsay Hoyle but likes of Wishart, Harman, Bryant, Dame Laing, Sir Leigh known to have an eye on the job. My concern at the moment is that with Brexit being so divisive, the Boris issue and a feeling conventions were somewhat cheated last time, this may get an ugly fight that may damage the next Speaker and Boris may try to force his way and getting someone he considers reliable in the chair given the way Boris has gone against convention.

=====

-Papers unsure of Boris next move but a sense Westminster's outrage is being met by public being pleased Boris is being bold and trying to get things done

-Morgan backs Boris and no deal must remain an option with public frustrated by delays but wants him to show he is serious about getting a deal, Raab says Benn bill is lousy and allows EU to impose whatever vindicate punitive measures they like in talks, Paschal Donohoe (Ireland’s finance minister) says they would back extension but are concerned at potential for direct rule in N.Ireland. Number 10 rules out seeking extension despite the law, after talks Vadaker and Boris admit major gaps remain despite a positive meeting that laid some groundwork. Plaid floating impeachment (this is not being taken seriously), Foster reminds Boris he has promised not to do a N.Ireland only backstop

-Vadaker/Boris press conference: Vadaker says no such thing as a clean-break Brexit as UK will have to negotiate trade and new terms at some point, still believes Brexit deal is possible, won't replace legal certainty of backstop with a promise and Boris has yet to give an answer, opposed to direct rule, would need good reason for EU to grand another extension given how long this has gone on. UK and EU have herculean task to get a trade agreement in three years that will be ratified by all 31 parliaments.

Boris says Ireland and UK are close, there is lots of trade and history, been far worse situations and harder problems for Irish and British leaders to meet, no deal would be a failure of statecraft with all parties deserving of blame, UK has to provide answer to three questions and he is certain he has the answers 1) can they keep movement of goods free and unchecked, 2) can they keep Belfast agreement maintained, 3) can they protect econimic unity of Ireland. Refuses to say if he has seen the border as PM but suggested trusted trader schemes and unity with Irleand on some issues can be two key points on the border problem, EU leaders want to know Ireland situation has been settled so incumbent to talk to Ireland first. People and EU want Brexit done which parliment will come to understand, won't be breakthrough today, still thinks he can solve backstop in 30 days as has abundance of proposals

Is a feeling Boris change of tone has been surprisingly drastic (to EU or to his domestic audience?) and body language between the two were not... warm with suspicions Vadaker not holding back on UK's problems. Ian Dunt quipped "Quite painful to watch. Varadkar conducting himself as a leader and grounding his comments in reality. Johnson looks like a child who won a Willy Wonka ticket to appear alongside him.".

-Andrew Griffiths cleared by parliamentary watchdog while Tories won't pursue matters due to his mental health

-D'Arcy on a short but busy day ahead

-Economy grows 0.3% in July, better then expected

-Thornberry is a very good media communicator but even she wasn't having an easy time on polticslive to explain lack of election agreement and that has to be a concern for Labour, the explanations may be accurate but they require too much explaining for an election or clear message that has cut through. The Tories corwads and dodging people line does cut through

-Julian Smith denies he is going to resign

-Proroguing confirmed for tonight, Benn/rebel alliance bill gets Royal Assent which means Boris can skip Liaison Committee hearing due on Wednesday though Dr Woolostan has challenged him to meet them as planned anyway, Corbyn calls proroguing a disgrace

-Sir Sedwill tells public administration and constitutional affairs committee says losing no confidence does not oblige PM to recommended alternative to Queen and can just run out the 14 days, Brexit talks would continue during election

-Opposition parties confirm no election till Brexit is delayed

-Talk of N.Ireland backstop being Boris solution is refusing to die. DUP would hate it, would enough Tories and others rally round it to get a deal through?

-Sir Grieve standing motion demanding government publish yellow hammer and number 10's private correspondence on proroguing has passed by nine 311-302. Will cover information from 23rd July (when Boris became PM) and meant to be handed over by 11th September

Sir Grive suspects Cameron's "girly swotishness" was meant to contrast with Boris manly idealness, Boris has dodged questions on this as PMQ's and can't be trusted, worried about government ignoring convention, whistleblowers have complained to him of scandal and that none would back government claims in recent court case. Sir Cox opposed on grounds government can't force all those involved to comply by giving personal emails and messages, Gove says court cases meant unusual amount of information in public domain anyway, needs to be a safe space for advisers and motion was an unprecedented fishing motion, could breach rules on privacy and undermines conventions, is going to release a version of operation yellowhammer report anyway. Cherry asks why government did not provide witness statement in recent court cases on proroguing, Paterson felt this was a witch-hunt of junior officials (nine figures listed as subject to the orders)

====

-Creagh warns Brexit will takes years of hard slog, Farage says Boris is now going for May's deal

-Stewart thinks 30-40 Tory MP's are sympathetic to the rebels but loyalty to Tory party, fear of Corbyn and job security prevent them from rebelling, his deselection as a leadership rival feels like another country would do. Hunt warns divided parties don't win elections and suggests "a cold shower of generosity and magnanimity from all". Baker says some of his wing fear there are many too preparations for a deal though he is comfortable with it so Boris has difficult balance while Rudd knew what she had signed up for so shouldn't have resigned. Gordon Brown says no deal Brexit could be biggest econimic own-goal in our history and UK is losing control

-Mann says Labour activists will find voters in the north who backed Brexit and oppose Corbyn's direction, they wonder what Labour is for.

-Lord Sumption, former supreme court judge, warns rumoured plans of asking EU for extension with joint letter (as being rumoured) asking for it to be ignored would not be legal work-around for Boris. Other legal experts like Lord Falconer and Gauke are saying the same. Not legal expert Nigel Evans says Tory Brexiteers like him have got 20 options they can get around the law and suggests two (no confidence vote or a one-line bill setting out election bill)

-Might not have been 100% wise that one of the first domestic policies Brexit party announce is scrapping inheritance tax

-Baker very testy on PoliticsLive

-Richard Benyoun retires says the continued uncertainty about his status does not serve his local party well. The former solider had a big interest in environment affairs, serving on committee's and in government on such matters, an early Cameroon supporter but one whose wealth made him an easy target for the left, decent performer in Commons but not always with media.

-Mark Prisk retires, not related to Brexit but at this stage is in his life wants to do something else but makes clear concern at decline in public discourse and rise of narrow ideology. A remainer who voted for May's deal three times. The businessman wrote on housing and served in shadow economy roles then served in business role in government but his sacking for fresher face infuriated retailers as Prisk was leading on efforts to revive.

-Jim Cunningham retires, been an MP for 27 and served as councillor for a long time, nobody can blame him for retiring from long time of public service and has made clear he wants a local candidate to replace him. A robust critic with a firm interest in local matters, the former engineer was a regular on committees and known to be a restrained figure with expenses

====

-John Harris people are exhausted and death of conservatism

-D'Ancona feels purging the moderate face of the Tory party will backfire

-Dominic Lawson says public don't care about the purge and Boris is right to get rid of the hypocrites

-Robert Peston Boris strategy is unchanged

-Mujtaba Rahman EU fine with lack of backstop plans so far but are worried by other aspects of Boris plans
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:13 am

Session ends in bad temper, heated failure to get election and a bitter proroguing met with protests
-Opposition parties, led by Corbyn, issue motion demanding government obey law which passes without vote since government wasn't going to exactly say no to the idea. Corbyn takes Boris to task over his provocative language like surrender bill when negotiating with allies, dead in ditch and trying to get around will of Commons though Corbyn refused to answer what he would do if EU country veto's extension, Blackford launches stinging attack on Boris and Cummings attack on democracy. Government frontbench causes confusion as no Boris and seemingly no law officer with Bercow noting none were stepping forward so likes of Sir Bone had to hold till the line until Raab (though a lawyer, not exactly in his brief) takes it. He promises government will obey law but law can be complex and contradictory so sometimes government reads it wrong and has to be corrected by judicial reviews, slams parliament severely weakened government negotiating hand.

-Government says they will carry out Sir Grieve's instructions but they need to consider implications of the unprecedented scope

-293 MPs vote for election vs 46 but mass abstaining means it misses 3/3rds majority mark again

Boris lays into Lib Dems for being arrogant enough to seek to revoke democratic decision and attacks Corbyn as a coward who is afraid of facing election that Boris would win and keeps shifting goalposts, Corbyn says no election till no deal is off table, why doesn't Boris seek a referendum to get a no deal mandate and is scapegoating migrants to deepen divisions, his obsifications have been caught at home and abroad.

Blackford condemns behaviour and Paisley accusing opposition including SNP of shouting nasty things about Boris, Selous wants election so new parliament will actually vote for a Brexit route forward rather then just object, Holliranke slams Corbyn for campaigning for Brexit for decades and stopping May's deal for party political reasons, Ivan Lewis says so called progressives are firing up extremism by ignoring democracy, Plaid call for citizen assembly to try to restore calm and democracy

-Bercow calls prorogation “This is not a standard or normal prorogation. It’s one of the longest for decades and it represents an act of executive fiat.” as a last protest during ceremony, MP's chant shame on you at Tory benches and applaud Bercow (who is heckled by some Tories) while some try to stop Bercow leaving, opposition MP's hold up placards saying Silenced then begin to sing. Welsh MP's Bread of Heaven judged to have beaten Scotland's Wha Hae and Labour's Red Flag, both sides claiming scenes showed the other disrespect democracy and the people.

This is not how the ceremony usually goes
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:40 pm

-Most news sites seem to have the full and passionate speech of Bercow, papers very much of Bercow or parliament votes

-Lib Dems confirm they will run on policy of revoking Brexit, Foster says no PM could accept a N.Ireland backstop that separates it from UK, BMW's Mini factor will do two day shutdown on Brexit day. Phil Hogan, Ireland’s European commissioner, moved from agriculture to trade (had been rumours he would replace Barnier but this may not be much more helpful to number 10) and says he believes penny is finally starting to drop in UK and hints backing for N.Ireland backstop and if deal happens then trade talks should be quicker then usual

If we end up with a N.Ireland backstop, DUP should be laughed at in every comedy, political and news show around the world.

-Javid says government will reintroduce duty-free purchases of cigarettes and alcohol with immediate effect if no deal (doesn't quite link up with past public health moves)

-May's retiring honours list include Nick Timothy and Fiona Hill getting CBE, a knighthood for Olly Robbins, Sir Kim Darroch becomes crossbench peer (Boris will be delighted..) as does Mann (Corbyn will be delighted...) and former SDLP leader Margaret Ritchie, Barwell becomes Tory peers. Sir Leigh becomes companion of honour, Hollingbury, Lidginton and Charles Walker becomes knights, Brandon Lewis, Julian Smith and Seema Kennedy gets CBE's. Greens nominated former leader Natalie Bennett for peerage. Usual cries from Labour of Tory donors and cronies while Lord Fowler notes it is unusually smaller, Labour have called for Geoffrey Boycott's impending knighthood to be overturned

-Commons' Transport Committee wants a ban on parking on pavements due to impact it has on those with disabilities

-Harman confirms she is running for Speaker

-Basic pay growth at 3.8%, up to 4% if include bonus which is biggest since recession and unemployment at 3.8% but concerns at rapidly shrinking number of job vacancies

-Corbyn says most are distant from Westminster knockabout and he wants to give power back to people, Boris is the establishment and trying to portray himself on side of people is absurd, Boris will use no deal to make wealthy wealthier and a one sided deal with US. Will call for referendum and would bring about biggest expansion of workers rights ever including a minster of employment rights with sectoral collective bargaining and repeal Tory trade union act within 100 days. A new workers protection agency with real teeth and Piddock fleshes out some of the ideas like a new joint advisory council and employers would be legally obliged to enter pay discussions with trade union

-Boris told cabinet next five week will be a return to summer focus of NHS, crime and cost of living and attacks are extreme, put to one poll showing Boris more trusted on NHS then Corbyn which shows public doesn't believe he is extreme, according to the stories he argues he is most liberal PM in decades

-Cummings tells press to get out of London and their Remain sphere

-Number 10 say a version of Operation Yellowhammer will be published, denies rumours of a number 10 backstop, Boris won't face Liaison Committee

-Hanock tweeted "I’ve now attended Cabinet, off & on, for five years. Today’s Cabinet on the domestic agenda and Queen’s Speech, was the most energising I can remember. #LetsMoveForward"

I wish my better nature had reacted with "how nice, good to see someone so happy" rather then what I actually thought.

-Home Affairs Select Committee doing informal sessions on Brexit wih Cooper explaining what they heard, Dr Woolostan says Boris broke agreement and that Boris changed date from Monday to Wednesday for Committee hearing

=====

-Bridgen says N.Ireland only backstop would only be acceptable if passes a referendum in N.Ireland, Sir Lewtin wants referendum if Boris can't get deal and Boris has always been flexible so can't be ruled out, Blair says referendum is better way to answer Brexit issue then an election.

-Austin on Labour "These people are a million miles away from the traditional, mainstream politics of the Labour party,” he says. “They have poisoned what was once a great party with extremism. They cannot be trusted with the institutions that underpin our democracy.” and gets in very public row with McInnes who demands he defect to Tories

-Nick Robinson (before it became six) "How to sum up last few days for @BorisJohnson? 5 days in Commons + 5 major defeats - 21 Tory MPs = 0 majority + 0 election + 0 plan for Brexit + 5 weeks of Parliament suspensed"

-Mayor Street welcomes spending review and has idea's for next one

-Sir Grieve says government has to decide if they are bunch of hoodlums wrecking conventions or a respectable government, Sir Hague says the purge was an act of disgusting hypocrisy and while all leaders make mistakes this is one of the biggest acts of political self-harm he can think of

-Caroline Lucas apologises to those watching parliament for game playing and braying of Tory benches during time of national crises

-Sir Duncan hopes Fixed Term Aliment Act is abolished after election

-Richard Chambers tots up defeats "Thatcher - 4 in 11 yearsMajor - 6 in 7 years
Blair - 4 in 10 years
Brown - 3 in 3 years
Cameron - 10 in 6 years
May - 33 in 3 years
Johnson - 6 in one week"

====

-Felicity Lawrence on chicken trade row

-Peston Boris can't lose Cummings and Grieve's attempts will fail

-Toynbee rebels should keep united with Corbyn

-Nicolas Watt on backstop speculation

-Mark Devenport N.Ireland Brexit situation

-D'Arcy on Bercow, an important speaker

-Kuessenberg Boris has had bruising time but a long way till Halloween
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:17 pm

Courts get involved with prorogue, no N.Ireland only backstop, Brexit, Boris moves on students
-Papers on all sorts of things including backstop and Boris easing restrictions on foreign students

-Well the courts are having fun English high court rules the proroguing was legal as is a political matter but only several hours after Scottish Court of Session with unanimous opinion ruled it was illegal in surprisingly strong language as was executive trying to avoid parliamentary scrutiny but enforces nothing on government, expect both sides to take their cases to the Supreme Court where the major legal battle will be. The politics on the other hand have started, opposition parties call for recall of parliament right way, number 10 says wait till supreme court on Tuesday and had pointed out the case had failed in English courts and speaker's Office says only government can recall parliament.

Benn has pointed out rules allow for a Royal Proclamation to recall but I really doubt the Queen is going to enact that rule from 1797, Lord Sumpton feels prorogation is lawful if politically disgraceful and Scottish judges were pushing back against executive, 40 MP's turned up for work including Benn and Swinson. Grieve says if Boris misled the Queen then he should resign, he is backed by Lib Dems

Number 10 got in trouble as "sources" were perceived as badmouthing impartially of the judges and thus picked by opposition lawyers as route to try to press (they may have been talking about different constitutional attitudes to be fair) which went down badly, Lord Chancellor Buckland quick to say he has full confidence in impartiality of the judges and they are renewed across the world for it (quicker to defend judges then Truss was against Mail when she held the post which may earn him legal goodwill) and number 10 backs Buckland as does Gauke and Lidington

-Boris rules out N.Ireland backstop , he sense mood is changing in EU and ice is cracking

-Carney says the core finical system is prepared for Brexit, pound is now like the currency of a developing country due to Brexit uncertainty. Union leaders back Corbyn rather then likes of Watson and Thornberry and say Labour should go into election promising new deal to be put to public rather then enter it as a Remain party.

Watson argues referendum must be priority rather then election which may solve nothing and is risky as Boris will make it single issue but Corbyn gently disagrees saying that is Watson's view rather then his, Corbyn says his stance is seeking to bring together Remainers and Leavers. Owen Smith says no such thing as a good Brexit, Snell doubts there are the numbers in parliament for a referendum and wants another go at May's deal

-Leadsom says one advantage of leaving as it can make us more attractive to the best migrants across the world, immigration is becoming more popular thanks to sense of control public now have, public wouldn't benefit from hearing worst case no deal scenario in a surprisingly candid answer "I actually do not think that it serves people well to see what is the absolutely worst thing that could happen. The worst thing that could happen to me is I could walk out of here and get run over. It is not a prediction, but it is something that could happen. And simply putting out there all of the possible permutations of what could happen actually just serves to concern people."

-Boris declares international students will be allowed to stay in the UK for two years after graduation to find a job. This to be fair to Boris is something he has long disagreed with May on but timing is useful to show him as a liberal figure when he is under attack

-Government launches £200m genetics project at the UK Biobank to help researches fight diseases

-Labour activists in Norfolk North advised to go in pairs for their own safety due to threats

-Leadsom live on TV when Hong Kong Stock Exchange bid to merge with London's broke, says they welcome foreign investment but would have to look very carefully at anything that might have security implications

====

-D'Arcy next speaker faces great challenges to restore order to Commons

-Behr Boris pulled between two directions

-Beth Rigby Boris may come to regret his culture war and predicts a winter of ugly discontent in Westminster

-Poppy Trowbridge rebels and Boris can still unite before election
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:05 pm

no deal scenario is not pretty, Brexit, Kwarteng causes unease
-Operation Yellowhammer (aka predicated no deal reasonable worst case scenario) published bar paragraph 15 which has been redacted which have inevitably got the interest of others, assumptions as of August 2nd, However those who had seen the earlier draft says at the time it was called base scenario so will be a row over which is the case, Gove has written to Sir Grieve they won't publish internal communications as breaches the rights of civil servants and advisers to privacy and right to reply.

May's Yellowhammer were dismissed as a Remoaner cabinet who hadn't done proper no deal prep, once Boris got in charge the potential risks would be reduced due to his proper preparations but when Gove cancelled the publication, it raised suspicions. Forced published by parliament, is Boris hiding that his glorious future would only bring us one unicorn each or that May wasn't the actual problem?

Warns of rising civil disorder and tensions with police being tied down by protests, the poorest will be hit hardest by food price rises and fuel, timing given school holidays isn't great, loss of law sharing data, medicine supply lines disrupted, higher risk of disease outbreaks due to veterinary medicine supply issues, social care providers in theory should be ok but so fragile it could collapse Fresh food availability decreases, less food options. Sunday Times figures remarking this is the same one they got which was dismissed by number 10 as rubbish and out of date.

Will struggle to get bilateral agreements to keep things going with EU countries unsympathetic and only got one with Ireland so far but a few areas might get covered due to disruption to countries (energy in Ireland is one example they want), public and business readiness is low due to lack of details to work with and they are suffering Brexit fatigue. Seasonal issues like floods and flu are going to have an impact in trying to handle no deal, civil servants really seem to wish this had been done in March, expects France to hit us with mandatory controls on UK goods from the start, immigration checks may lead to passenger delays at the border. agricultural food supplies with growing season ended and Christmas coming is an issue, UK nationals in EU are in legal limbo, the no new checks policy is unsustainable long term and a disaster in N.Ireland within days

Good news: energy supplies will be fine. HUZZAH! No food shortages as long as it isn't fresh and one doesn't mind having less options then one does now and it will only be fine if there isn't panic buying or something else hinders. HUZZAH! Water will be fine. HUZZAH! Well maybe, is a low risk some areas could be hit with unclean water but what kind of modern country expects clean water? EU will uphold UK pensions. HUZZAH!

Sunday Times Rosamond Urwin got an earlier report which she says is pretty much the same everywhere else (bar base scenario turning into worst case while SNP says their copy also has base scenario) says the reacted paragraph, if the same as the unredacted earlier one she has, basically says our petrol industry will be decimated and may be disruption of supply for a fortnight, may take lorries two and half days to get through ports.

I don't see this as a game changer, parties will maintain their stances, public will ignore this. They either don't believe this as they didn't believe the NHS over Boris, they have tended to dismiss such warnings in past as Operation Fear despite their own unease and uncertainty. They just want Brexit over with and either don't care about the damage or they don't believe that there will be any real damage or problems

=====

-BBC with registering for election guide

-Papers on no deal papers or court ruling with accusations Boris lied to the Queen

-Opposition using Yellowhammer and courts to call for recall, BMA and Retail groups say it shows their concerns were not of date, Bertie Ahern says any Brexit deal needs Irish unionist parties support but Sinn Feinn argues that would give DUP a dangerous veto.

Gove says considerable steps to deal with the issues in Yellowhammer and is worst scenario possible, Barnier says still open to concrete proposals, Kent Council leader says if one or two issues sorted out (including being able to draft police from across the country) they can avoid disruption, David Sassoli the new president of the European parliament says no credible backstop alternate been proposed by UK and open to extension if an election. Xavier Bettel, the prime minister of Luxembourg, sees no reason for EU to grant an extension when there are no concrete proposals

-A belief Boris team putting out feelers to some of the rebels for way back for rebels

-Concern as Kwarteng says many people think judges are biased against Brexit though he says he believes them to be impartial with Jenrick backing away and words like unwise being used, Boris calls them independent and one of the countries great glories with politicians proper duty to let Supreme court decide. Lord Hope, a former lord president of Scotland’s courts warns MP's they can't use the ruling to re-enter parliament and condemns attack on judges impartiality

-Culture Committee says in-game spending should come under gambling laws and loot boxes for children banned while should help fund research into gaming addiction and have age verification systems, questions some gaming industry figures honesty in answers and industry of being reluctant to take responsibility

-Government rules out election pact with Farage as Farage and Banks is not suitable, he is disappointed his hand of friendship and Brexiteer unification has been rejected with the insults petty and points out Banks is not party of Brexit party and his name was misspelled.

-Javid says change on student migrants should have happened years ago and Jo Johnson welcomes success at last

-Boris says to schoolchildren he didn't do enough at university and urges them to use the time there better, also don't get drunk. Later denies he lied to queen, very hopeful of Brexit deal, accelerating preparations for no deal to tackle issues Yellowhammer raised, wants N.Ireland-Scotland bridge which he believes would cost 15 billion

-Laurence Sleator & Daniel Kraemer the bills killed by prorogue

-Mail attacks the neutrality of the judges and brings in their family members, even the Brexit party mocks the Mail for this.

-N.Ireland courts ignore prorogation as being dealt elsewhere but says Boris current handling of event doesn't undermine Good Friday agreement

-Public Accounts Committee accuse government of being overly secretive about money spent on Brexit related consultants which they calculate as at least £97 million

-Information Commissioner concerned at reports government centralizing all user data from those that use government websites

======

-Lib Dems been using Lord Menzies Campbell in last few days, not sure why the return

-Farage says judges are judicial interference and part of establishment stitch-up

-Nigel Evans fears if recall we may see a repeat of the antics on final night

-Harper says Yellowhammer shows May's lack of no deal planning, Co-op stockpiling, Sir Grieve and Sandbach calls for referendum, Sir Letwin thinks majority would back referendum before election should Boris fail to get a deal. Gordon Brown says Yellowhammer downplays risks to medicine

-Rudd wants proportional representation, impressed by the rebels discipline, cabinet should speak out if they have Boris concerns, Boris confrontational attitude towards Commons is a mistake and Tories should seek to compromise

-Lewell-Buck would rather have pact with Brexit party then Lib Dems due to Lib Dem's wanting to revoke article 50

=====

-Kuessenberg Boris exploiting divide

-Garvan Walshe Brexiteers may cost Brexit and that would be damaging

-Chris Morris state of Brexit talks

-Kettle on Lib Dems

-Frances Ryan Labour and others need to work to get out those who don't usually vote
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:14 pm

Bercow, Brexit, Hartlepool, Boris
-Papers on all sorts of issues, DUP franticly denying Times claims they are relaxing on N.Irish backstop

-Bercow gives speech, Commons have becoming willing to hold ministers to account with revival of urgent questions and use of emergency debates having been key, backbench committee ensures issues neither government or opposition are keen on or interested in can be raised, in a democratic society Boris must obey the law and ask for extension and is ridiculous such a question of obeying the law is raised and sets terrible example to society. Had his doubts but is coming round to idea of a written constitution and feels we are moving towards it so wants Royal Commission on the subject, Brexit must be one voted for by Parliament.

-Scottish judges full reasoning released, they consider Boris to have lied about why he prorogued whule he sought to block debate and parliament, government failed to give a proper reason to court, won't publish redacted parts of evidence. Plenty point out that Boris saying he didn't lie while telling a... misleading statement (English court didn't clear Boris of lying despite Boris claim that court agreed with him)

-Public Accounts Committee slams Network Rail and Transport Department for bad sale of Railway Arches without protecting taxpaper or tenants

-Tory attack ad shows what Lib Dems would do on Brexit by quoting Swinson, the Lib Dem leader responds "Oh no! They’re telling everyone! Whatever will I do..." then shrugs. Barnier says unclear if will be deal in time due to lack of concrete proposals, President of the European Parliament David Sassoli open to N.Ireland only backstop but has to be a backstop, Sammy Wilson says some flexibility about rules if N.Ireland has a say and senses EU is shifting, Vadaker says gap is very wide between EU and UK and while he thinks Boris is acting in good faith but what he is suggesting falls far short of what is needed. Boris to meet Juncker on Monday for a working lunch and then Luxembourg PM Xavier Bettel with Boris carefully avoiding being seen in Brussels, footage suggests Javid was quite isolated at EU finance ministers meeting

-Boris promises to have a new domestic abuse bill after they killed the last one off in proroguing, seems he had a difficult time in Doncaster on streets (though I thought he handled confrontation pretty well) and heckled during speech but promises northern mayors devolving of transport, denies what he actually said about historical crimes investigation

-BBC Reality Check on Operation Yellowhammer

-Sir Jenkins says Speaker has too much power and is in a " majoritarian dictatorship position", fails to protect the minority in parliament (ie Leavers), is partisan and unthinkable for any Speaker to make a speech like Bercow's that attacks the PM and may seek to use his committee to restrain the power of any future Speaker, suggests Bercow resigned before Commons looked into past cases of treatment of staff.

-Corbyn urges people to register to vote before Boris can make it harder

-Speaker election on 4th November and overseen by Ken Clarke

-Police says Leave.EU did technically breach electoral law but not enough to justify further investigation but investigations remain on two other Brexit groups, Aaron Banks ignores the breaches part and demands the resignations of his foes like head of electoral Commission and Damien Collins with a full inquiry

====

-Lib Dems and Plaid in talks for election pact

-Brexit party now control Hartlepool council after nine defections and a pact with Tories in a boost to Farage as their first council (didn't run at local election)

-Swinson says Corbyn and Boris are unfit to lead and says won't offer even informal support after election to Corbyn

====

-Francesca Gillett how to discuss Brexit calmly

-Ayesha Hazarika concerned at good MP's leaving and what may replace

-Alian Tolhurst purge has led to some appetising seats for Tory candidates to run in
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

PreviousNext

Return to Current Affairs