UK Politics

Discuss events that have an impact on you and the world today. A home for honest, serious, and open discussion.

Re: UK Politics

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:30 pm

-EU "removes" punishment clause from draft which can count as a UK win, will be reworded

-UK government accuses Russia of being behind NotPetya ransomware attack, Russia denies it

-Stormont talks collapse with DUP saying there is no prospect of agreement, Sinn Feinn says DUP seemed to have agreed to one then pulled out. Bradley says talks will continue, not sure any N.Ireland party agrees

-Boris says of Brexit "That is surely not some reactionary Farageist concept,", Farage says his immigration policies are popular

-Gerry Adams attempts to have conviction for escaping prison overturned have failed

-Welsh government looking at Scotland's laws banning wild animals in circus

-Commons Work and Pensions Committee says constant failings have led to lack of trust in Pip and ESA system while they say regulators failed to protect Tata Steel workers from vultures over their pensions

-Sun claims that Corbyn met with Soviet spy and warned of a British intelligence clampdown a smear, Labour calls it a smear, says he did meet with Czech diplomat but didn't disclose confidential information. Gavin Willamson about the only figure to be pushing on this

-Ruth Davidson defends international aid target

-Goldsmith on MP's giving up single use plastic for lent

-Plaid warns it's members they could be punished if they are abusive on social media

====

-Bush on Labour's party political broadcast strategy and Labour views on bad polling and preparing for local elections

-Andrew McQuillan on collapse of Stormont talks

-Anne Perkins says mayors could be key to post-Brexit UK

-Simon Lambert would welcome a interest rate rise

-Helen Lewis despairs at the state of our politics

-Owen Jones wants Labour to be far more ambitious on taxes
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Sun Fin » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:39 am

Dong Zhou wrote:
Sun Fin wrote:Just because a charity has been proven to not be perfect doesn't mean we should stop giving, it just means we need to reform the system.

There are some that just disagree with the 0.7% aid target and some that have wider issues (bias, the holier then thou attitude so and so forth) with the sector and wouldn't mind it being hit. I wouldn't stop the 0.7 target, might not wish for Oxfam to get government funding till it reforms and takes full responsibility

Morduant has basically used the money threat to force Oxfam to conform and accept the reforms she demands.

I understand that some people want the 0.7% commitment to be reduced, I don't :lol:.

I do, however, share the other concerns and would like to see the foreign aid charity sector reformed to be a better use of our money. But we should use the 0.7% as an inducement to make them want to reform - like Moduant is doing at the moment. That said I'm worried that we might see an attack on charities that have a Christian ethos even if they are efficient with their use of money.
Interested in the history behind the novel? Find a list of english language Three Kingdom sources here.
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:46 pm

Sun Fin wrote:
I understand that some people want the 0.7% commitment to be reduced, I don't :lol:.

I do, however, share the other concerns and would like to see the foreign aid charity sector reformed to be a better use of our money. But we should use the 0.7% as an inducement to make them want to reform - like Moduant is doing at the moment. That said I'm worried that we might see an attack on charities that have a Christian ethos even if they are efficient with their use of money.

I don't want it reduced either and I think May is aware doing so would play into the fears of the social liberals+lead to backlash abroad

I'm not seeing an attack on Christian ethos charities, more Oxfam and the wider aid sector (one is a little surprised Haiti isn't being sued for not being suitably grateful :wink: )

=====

-Corbyn denies the youthquake is a myth

-Sarah Champion claims May is taking less interest in child abuse as she doesn't have children whereas Cameron did....

-May to meet Merkel to discuss Brexit

-Justice Committee says prison inspectors need more funding

-Sinn Feinn says there was a draft agreement last week while Foster having to deny she lost control of her party and says she opposes language act

-Leak inquiry into if Welsh government leaked the new Sergeant would be sacked has cleared Welsh government

-Russia claims the blame for NotPetya ransomware attack being laid on them is Russiaphobic

-Morgan has written to 33 finical firms that haven't signed gender diversity pledge

-January retail sales up 0.1% which was rather less then expected 0.5% over December, over last January up 1.6% rather then 2.4%. Food sales down but sports equipment up

-Courts order UKIP to pay £670,000 legal bill after three Labour MP's (Sir Barron, Healey and Champion) successfully sue UKIP MEP Jane Collins for libel, Collins has refused to pay up and while initially that isn't UKIP's problem, that the party deliberately delayed the case for electoral advantage has made them responsible for legal costs during that delaying period. Collins still owes money to the three MP's.

-Ex-Assembly Deputy Presiding Officer David Melding has spoken of debilitating panic attacks

===

-Bush on shifting power in N.Ireland led to talks collapse and argue stories like the Sun Soviet spy one is wrong way to attack Corbyn

-Eaton on Brexit trade delusion

-Mark Davenport on the collapse of Stormont talks

-Owen Jones wants radical reform of housing market. I think he dislikes neo-liberalism, he is very very subtle about it in the article but I just get the hint

-Sean O'Grady argues millennials have lost perspective and don't realize the good things in their life

-Owen Meredith says Tories must welcome international students to be a global Britain
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:54 pm

Dong Zhou wrote:I'm not seeing an attack on Christian ethos charities, more Oxfam and the wider aid sector (one is a little surprised Haiti isn't being sued for not being suitably grateful :wink: )

Sorry, I didn't intend to imply that was happening yet. But if it becomes a general charity witch hunt I can imagine that is something that might be used to attack some charities.
Interested in the history behind the novel? Find a list of english language Three Kingdom sources here.
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:11 pm

-May says to EU that if they allow ideology to get involved with Brexit then it risks damaging people's security

-Oxfam to stop bidding for government funding till it regains trust and meets the required standards, Morduant warns they have a long way to go

-Bradley says she will consider all routes on N.Ireland

-The spy Corbyn is alleged to have met says Corbyn knew he was a spy and Corbyn divulged information but Czech records don't have Corbyn down as a collaborator while Labour denies the spy's claims.

====

-MEP David Campbell Bannermann argues EFTA is wrong route for UK

-Heidi Alexander wants Labour to talk to it's members about Brexit

-Farage says Bolton is UKIP's best hope but admits it may be too late to save the party

====

-Tony Yates argues Brexit is fundamentally a mess and not a reflecting on May's abilities

-Gabby Hinsliff on guilt tax

-James Graham is concerned at loss of civility and gentle language

-Forsyth (sun) on EU pragamists need help on trade from May, Boris speech, reaction to polls, Merkel
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Previous

Return to Current Affairs