War on Scientology

Discuss events that have an impact on you and the world today. A home for honest, serious, and open discussion.

Re: War on Scientology

Unread postby Jordan » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:09 pm

It's not really funny, but it's the Internet. People need to have tougher skin.
Jordan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:38 am

Jordan wrote:It's not really funny, but it's the Internet. People need to have tougher skin.

How is 'it's the internet' a valid reason for this behaviour? Cyber bullying is just as bad as bullying IRL the only difference is that instead of the popular kids bullying the nerds now the nerds are fighting back.
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Jordan » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:13 am

Cyber bullying is just as bad as bullying IRL

Not really. Especially when the latter has the potential for physical violence.

I find people taunting others to commit suicide to be pretty sick, but it's the Internet and it's protected free speech.
Jordan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Korin » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:26 pm

It's free speech to make people kill themselves??? :rangry:
Soshi.
Korin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Erdrick » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:35 pm

Korin wrote:It's free speech to make people kill themselves??? :rangry:

"Make". This is the key word.

Korin, kill thyself!

Are you still alive? Okay, then how can you make someone kill themselves? Taunting, abusing, stalking, threatening, etc...? Quick, name which of these are CRIMES.

Part of the problem, I think overall, is that we comingling "bullying" and other crimes, like its an umbrella term- or a way to excuse certain behaviors in teenagers (mostly). If someone beats you to a pulp, that's assault (and/or a variantion on that, i.e., with intent to commit yadda yadda). If someone is cyber-stalking you, ya know, that "stalking" thing is a crime. Threats- same thing- and thanks for giving me a written record of your threats... That people perpetrate crimes in a online sphere doesn't make it less real, (presuming we are talking real interactions- getting ganked in WoW or the like, yeeeeeah...)

On the flipside, I do think people need to toughen up in general- not because of "teh internetz", but because we spend so much time worrying about kids "feeling good" instead of "being good", (not in a behavioral sense, but in being the best they can be- even when its hard, because hard doesn't necessarily feel good), and how to deal with difficult situations/people. People were bullied plenty a generation or two back, without the suicide levels that they are now, (presuming a similar methodology for reporting it, of course).

So, is the internet to blame by giving cowards the option to be "invisible" while being dicks, (and if you get criminal activity, we know invisible is significantly less see-thru when the right people start looking), or is it that people have been raised without the skillsets to deal with difficult people? Perhaps some of both, but I tend to think people lacking coping skills outweigh getting taunted over the 'net.
Between Mysidian Moments and MizuSoft, I have little time for MeeSelf...
Erdrick
Sage

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:23 pm

Apparently British Supreme Court has ruled that Scientology is a religion with the rights that gives them, government less then pleased with that one.
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Boydie » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:41 pm

So does that make it equal to other religions in the eyes of the British law? If so... I can't wait for the cartoons with God, Jesus, the Virgin Mary, The prophet Muhammad, Allah, the Buddha and .... Tom Cruise! :lol:
Boydie
Academic

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:42 pm

Boydie wrote:So does that make it equal to other religions in the eyes of the British law? If so... I can't wait for the cartoons with God, Jesus, the Virgin Mary, The prophet Muhammad, Allah, the Buddha and .... Tom Cruise! :lol:

Not entirely but as I understand, mostly and a big step forward. I suspect government will be extremely reluctant to let them open free-schools and Charity Commission is considering it's position on their arrangements so maybe a few lawsuits coming.
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Aygor » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:08 pm

Dong Zhou wrote:Apparently British Supreme Court has ruled that Scientology is a religion with the rights that gives them, government less then pleased with that one.

Saddening.
As an association promoting ignorance and brainwash it should be eradicated.
分久必合,合久必分
Ἀτύφως μὲν λαβεῖν, εὐλύτως δὲ ἀφεῖναι
Aygor
Langzhong

Unread postby SunXia » Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:29 am

I do find it saddening that there are certain aspects of religions that we don't approve of but we can't stop people practicing their religion regardless of how we dislike it or other such things!! I think when it becomes hate preaching and hateful actions (bullying attacking etc) then yes that should be condemned but not that they are willfully practicing what they believe in!!
If becoming enlightened or an intellectual means I must become arrogant and coldly cynical about the world around me then I'd gladly remain a fool for the rest of my life!!

I'm Out4Marriage!!!Are You??

It is a CHOICE!!
SunXia
Warrior Princess
Warrior Princess

Location: Keeping Evils from this world at bay...with a smile!!

PreviousNext

Return to Current Affairs