War on Scientology

Discuss events that have an impact on you and the world today. A home for honest, serious, and open discussion.

Re: War on Scientology

Unread postby lessthanpleased » Mon May 19, 2008 4:43 am

Addressing Lexus' comments above from about a month and a half ago.

To my knowledge, the only newspaper in Lousiana that covered the Scientology protests was the one I work at - and that's because I assigned the story and the imminent protest to one of my columnists.

-neal
lessthanpleased
Love Swami

Unread postby Lu_Zhishen » Mon May 19, 2008 9:08 pm

Allright, I'll explain it
In a japanese series called "death note", it is said that if you write any name in it, then that person would die right after his name was written. The owner of that death note was the guy who scanned a death note page and posted it into the internet as "scientology signs up"; that means... he wanted to kill scientologists.
And right after it was posted into the internet, another character from "death note" series saw the e-mail and his assistant asked him like "Hey, shouldn't we be stopping him?"

Sorta like a joke, but it seems like hating scientologism is kinda a trend in the internet, right?
Lu_Zhishen
Tyro

Unread postby Antiochus » Tue May 20, 2008 12:09 am

Quick question thought, does anyone personally knows supporters of that group or any members?

For a group that is so present in the media, they are either not a lot of very quiet in the outside world...
If they can abolish fanaticism, let us pray for the advent of the sceptics.

Raymond Aron
The Opium of the Intellectuals
Antiochus
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Marc » Tue May 20, 2008 10:20 pm

That's a fair point, actually - I don't know and can't recall ever knowing any Scientologists. Do regular Scientologists (ie, ones that aren't actors) advertise the fact they're members? If not, I suppose it's possible one of us knows a Scientologist and isn't aware of it.
Roses are red, violets are blue,
Omae wa mo shindeiru
Marc
Robot In Disguise
Robot In Disguise

Unread postby Lu_Zhishen » Sat May 24, 2008 4:17 pm

Well, I never know any scientologists in real life... I've met some atheists, but not scientologists.
I can't really say it at 100% certainty because like Marc said; it is possible if I know someone who's a quiet supporter or believer of scientology.
Perhaps this belief is known throughout the world because a famous hollywood star became a scientologist..
Lu_Zhishen
Tyro

Unread postby Tigger of Kai » Sat May 24, 2008 11:13 pm

Lu_Zhishen wrote:Perhaps this belief is known throughout the world because a famous hollywood star became a scientologist..

A whole raft of them, actually. Recruiting celebrities is an explicit strategic goal of the CoS.
Last edited by Tigger of Kai on Tue May 27, 2008 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mithril! The dwarves tell no tales. But just as it was the foundation of their wealth, so also it was their destruction. They delved too greedily and too deep, and disturbed that from which they fled.
Tigger of Kai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby WeiWenDi » Tue May 27, 2008 4:50 am

Lu_Zhishen wrote:Allright, I'll explain it
In a japanese series called "death note", it is said that if you write any name in it, then that person would die right after his name was written. The owner of that death note was the guy who scanned a death note page and posted it into the internet as "scientology signs up"; that means... he wanted to kill scientologists.

Isn't that the same series that led to that murder / mutilation case in Belgium?
Some more blood, Chekov. The needle won't hurt, Chekov. Take off your shirt, Chekov. Roll over, Chekov. Breathe deeply, Chekov. Blood sample, Chekov! Marrow sample, Chekov! Skin sample, Chekov! If I live long enough... I'm going to run out of samples.
WeiWenDi
Hedgehog Emperor

Unread postby Frank » Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:35 am

Antiochus wrote:Quick question thought, does anyone personally knows supporters of that group or any members?

For a group that is so present in the media, they are either not a lot of very quiet in the outside world...

Anonymous isn't really a group, although I can see how you can think it is one, considering they've consistently organized monthly protests against the CoS.

Technically speaking, I'm a "member". But the only prerequisite of "membership" is to post on websites such as 4chan, 7chan, 420chan, and etc. We're not a group, and I'd say that a majority of people that post on those sites are opposed to the protests. Somewhat compromises the whole "anonymity" thing.

EDIT: I just realized that you may be talking about Scientology... oops.
/b/lackup has arrived.
Frank
Florida’s Finest

Unread postby Kongming's Prodigy » Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:06 am

Is there EVER positive PR for scientology that don't come out of scientologists' own mouths? :roll:
[Current System]
Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.63 GHz
EVGA Geforce GTX 770 @ 1241/3906 MHz
Gigabyte EX58-UD3R Motherboard
6GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 Triple Channel
500GB Hitachi 7200RPM
700W Cooler Master UCP
Cooler Master HAF 922 Chassis
Kongming's Prodigy
The Dragon Awakened

Unread postby Sun Fin » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:28 pm

4chan strike again:

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/com ... 43001.html

Personally I think its sick. I'm not a fan of Beiber and find much of the humour directed at him amusing but this is leading to young girls harming themselves. Genuinely appalled.
Interested in the history behind the novel? Find a list of english language Three Kingdom sources here.
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Current Affairs