U.S. criminal punishment

Discuss events that have an impact on you and the world today. A home for honest, serious, and open discussion.

Are prison sentences harsh enough in the U.S.

yes
23%
no
46%
other(please explain)
31%

Total votes : 26

Re: U.S. criminal punishment

Unread postby FoxWithWings » Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:13 pm

In my view, rape is worse than murder. It's horrendously traumatic and leaves the victim broken. I also find the fact that rapes don't get reported horrifying, and I absolutely abhor the fact that people love to cry "she's faking it!". Not only is this an arrogant and stupid assumption, it harms the victim and discourages others from coming forward.

Rapists and murderers both should get the death penalty, I don't say this because it will make anyone feel better, I say this because these monsters have done grievous harm and they need to pay their dues.

I think prisons in the United States are horrible. They suck up taxpayer dollars while the absolute worst of our society shelter behind their walls and plan the crimes they will commit when they get out. These "rehabilitation" crap doesn't work. Most of the time, the criminal will go along with it, and completely forget about it when he/she is released.
"There's no one I'd rather be, than me" -Ralph
FoxWithWings
Master

Unread postby Jordan » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:41 am

These "rehabilitation" crap doesn't work. Most of the time, the criminal will go along with it, and completely forget about it when he/she is released.

And you base this on what exactly?

No disagreement from me that rape (under very strict definitions and in brutal cases) is worse than murder. I feel that you are making assumptions on a lot of things though.
Jordan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby FoxWithWings » Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:31 am

The rehabilitation raving was an assumption, for the most part. But I have heard prisons called "crime colleges" because (apparently) inmates will often learn nifty tricks on the inside that they use when they get out. The reason I said rehabilitation doesn't work is because the inmates tend to gain interest in crime rather than lose it, but this most likely isn't the case in most prisons. This also isn't the case with every inmate.

If I had a good source I could access, I would give it to you, but I'm honestly not sure if I would be able to find it.

One last thing "these rehabilitation"---"this rehabilitation" I hate it when I mess up my grammar...
FoxWithWings
Master

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:04 am

Sure, prisons can be crime colleges or a good place for radiclization. Particularly if overcrowded or not very well run prison service. One doesn't have to run prisons to be that way though
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Shen Ai » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:06 am

However bad it is in the US of A, it's way worse in Canada. I didn't even know we had criminal laws until just the other day.
I've a brave warrior in my army. Shen Ai is his name, and he can slay this Hua Xiong.

Wei has no more famous commanders, Shen Ai takes lead of the vanguard!

Even a commoner on the street knows what Shen Ai is thinking!
Shen Ai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:11 pm

Your kidding Shen Ai? I assume your exaggerating but not entirely sure what your particular criticism is?
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Gray Riders » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:38 pm

Dong Zhou wrote:Your kidding Shen Ai? I assume your exaggerating but not entirely sure what your particular criticism is?

I can't speak for him but there have been complaints that criminals get off too easily sometimes up here. There was controversy a few years back when it turned out notorious serial killer Clifford Olson was getting about a thousand CAD a month from government benefits in jail. They put a stop to it, and I think we even had a rare case of all three major parties agreeing on something.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby bodidley » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:07 pm

Fledgling Dragon wrote:In my view, rape is worse than murder. It's horrendously traumatic and leaves the victim broken. I also find the fact that rapes don't get reported horrifying, and I absolutely abhor the fact that people love to cry "she's faking it!". Not only is this an arrogant and stupid assumption, it harms the victim and discourages others from coming forward.

Rapists and murderers both should get the death penalty, I don't say this because it will make anyone feel better, I say this because these monsters have done grievous harm and they need to pay their dues.

As horrible as rape is, it's clearly not as bad as murder. When someone is murdered, that's it. If you're raped, then you have a chance to get on with your life, which is what many people choose to do. I think that your characterization of rape victims is inaccurate. You'd be amazed how many of the people around you are rape survivors. The vast majority of rape survivors go on to lead productive lives. I also don't think it's irrational to assume guilty until proven innocent in the case of people accused of rape. The justice system theoretically exists to protect the innocent above all else. It would be naïve to assume that people never see the advantages of accusing someone of a crime. Even if you're proven innocent of a rape charge, it still destroys your life and the accuser doesn't face any consequences. People commit calumny all the time.
"We can't mortgage our childrens' future on a mountain of debt," - Barack Obama
bodidley
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby FoxWithWings » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:45 pm

I never meant that all rape victims are reduced to frightened hermits too cautious to leave their homes, I just meant that it is very traumatic and not easy to live with. I also agree with you that "innocent until proven guilty" is fair, and yes, slander can be harmful.

Other than what I discussed above, I don't see your point.
FoxWithWings
Master

Unread postby Shozuhn » Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:36 pm

The idea that society is accepting of ideals that can lead to criminal behavior is kinda a touchy subject. I'mma try not to offend anyone here, and if anyone is offended, I'll just apologize and drop the discussion.
For instance, I've heard Spike Lee say something similar to this on shows about the state of black America, and I completely agree...
If you go to Harvard and poll the students as to how many parents they had in their life, the almost unanimous answer will be 2. If you go to a prison and you find out how many parents the inmates had in their life, over half will be from 1 parent upbringings.
Now Spike backed this up with actual stats or studies or whatever, and I'd have to go looking for those stats if anyone wanted to argue that this wasn't true. I kinda doubt anyone would tho. When Spike said this however, the rest of the panel basically jumped him. It was if he had dared to speak on a taboo subject that we aren't suppose to talk about.
Now I can understand that you may be from a single parent household and turned out just fine. And I'm not at all trying to belittle the working single mother who is doing her best to provide for her family. But facts are facts.
Any attempt to reform the criminal justice system will fall short if we can't first reform our society as a whole. We need to put the focus back on family. This isn't just a black issue, it knows no race. It just may be a bigger issue in black America then other demographics. But our societies turn from family as the focus is a dangerous one.
Unfortunately, I'm unsure how we can fix this.
Shozuhn
Initiate

PreviousNext

Return to Current Affairs