U.S. criminal punishment

Discuss events that have an impact on you and the world today. A home for honest, serious, and open discussion.

Are prison sentences harsh enough in the U.S.

yes
23%
no
46%
other(please explain)
31%

Total votes : 26

Re: U.S. criminal punishment

Unread postby DreamGoddessLindsey » Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:09 pm

Honestly, I think that is more a correlation rather than a causation, but humans are difficult to understand.
DreamGoddessLindsey
Banned

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:50 pm

DreamGoddessLindsey wrote:Honestly, I think that is more a correlation rather than a causation.

That would by my feeling to an extent.

How many prisoners are black or poor? I think that is more of the issue about society and justice system. In and itself, I don't think single parent families are the problem, there were single parent families after wars and that didn't seem to be a problem. The difference between then and now, where there may well be a problem leading to a life of crime, is that the wider family could step in. Father or mother died (or whatever the case may be), well there were aunts/uncles, cousins, grandparents and even neighbours would be expected to help step in, relieve the strain on the single parent.
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Shozuhn » Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:16 pm

Dong Zhou:
Rarely (in the US at least) are single parent families the result of a parent death. They are the result of reckless sex mixed with no desire to create a family environment within which to raise a family to begin with. We have Mothers raising 5 kids who have 4 different Daddies. This is not good for our society. Mix that with the fact that many are having that first kid before the age of 18, and you can understand why this is a problem. Kids are raising kids... this isn't good.
Shozuhn
Initiate

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:32 pm

I didn't mean to imply it was due to deaths.

I agree it would be far better if being a parent came about when people were more ready and prepared. Things like better sex-ed, more sense of responsibility on the male part, change of sexist culture would go some way to doing that. I still think the lack of wider help within family/community is also a problem
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby James » Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:26 pm

Shozuhn wrote:If you go to Harvard and poll the students as to how many parents they had in their life, the almost unanimous answer will be 2. If you go to a prison and you find out how many parents the inmates had in their life, over half will be from 1 parent upbringings.

I hope he had a point beyond this, because the comparison of Harvard students to prison inmates draws on such extremes of society that you could derive virtually no useful information from it.

Shozuhn wrote:Rarely (in the US at least) are single parent families the result of a parent death. They are the result of reckless sex mixed with no desire to create a family environment within which to raise a family to begin with. We have Mothers raising 5 kids who have 4 different Daddies. This is not good for our society. Mix that with the fact that many are having that first kid before the age of 18, and you can understand why this is a problem. Kids are raising kids... this isn't good.

Sure, I can take that first observation at face value. I haven't looked at the statistics but I absolutely believe it. But for the remaining conclusions, are you perhaps projecting a little? Humans are a pretty crappy lot. People can have more than one parent—people can become single parents—for perfectly good reasons like separating over alcohol, abuse, or bad financial decisions. To characterize a majority here in the light of mommy sleeping with all manner of daddies and pumping out children because ghetto is something you should probably be backing with studies.

A big part of the issue for young pregnancy is a failure on the part of parents and our education system (thanks, politics and parents) to educate our children.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby bodidley » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:35 am

FoxWithWings wrote:I never meant that all rape victims are reduced to frightened hermits too cautious to leave their homes, I just meant that it is very traumatic and not easy to live with. I also agree with you that "innocent until proven guilty" is fair, and yes, slander can be harmful.

Other than what I discussed above, I don't see your point.

Wait, so other than agreeing with everything I said, you don't see my point?
"We can't mortgage our childrens' future on a mountain of debt," - Barack Obama
bodidley
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby FoxWithWings » Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:12 pm

I didn't see where you were going with your argument. Thats all.

And that post was too long ago for me to remember what the hell I was trying to say.
"There's no one I'd rather be, than me" -Ralph
FoxWithWings
Master

Previous

Return to Current Affairs