U.S. criminal punishment

Discuss events that have an impact on you and the world today. A home for honest, serious, and open discussion.

Are prison sentences harsh enough in the U.S.

yes
23%
no
46%
other(please explain)
31%

Total votes : 26

U.S. criminal punishment

Unread postby Octavius » Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:25 am

I was looking at another forum website and i saw a thread that hade evolved into a knockdown dragout over whether or not punishment for crimes in the U.S. were not harsh enough now im not talking about cutting off fingers or shooting in the foot but i think if U.S. cops could be more like say russian police such as if there was a murderer/rapist held up in a building i think if the cops could go in and rifle butt him in the face a couple of times he would be less likley to reoffend when he made parol wich he more than likely would get also i think parol should be more restricted and sentences should be longer but thats just my opinion because whats the point of having laws if all someone is going to get is a slap on the wrist and a good talking to
peace is an illusion among men
Octavius
Assistant

Unread postby huaxiong » Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:40 am

I'm pro capital punishment...
huaxiong
Changshi

Location: In a pile of s***, and I ain't got the shoes for it

Unread postby Antiochus » Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:12 pm

I have recently seen a debate in which several people related to murder victims stated that althougth the initial need for vengeance is a legitimate feeling, obtaining the capital punishment does not actually make them feel any better.

It might be right to ask that, if the concept of an eye for an eye no longer pleases the families of murder victims, why should it still be used? Because the process of an execution is both costly and not really productive (by that I mean its a purely reactionnary measure), it might be the right time to wonder if its still an apropriate measure.

I am not completly against it myself, I just found this to be quite interesting and it made me think...
If they can abolish fanaticism, let us pray for the advent of the sceptics.

Raymond Aron
The Opium of the Intellectuals
Antiochus
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby huaxiong » Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:48 pm

They should use painful means to dispose of the criminals.
huaxiong
Changshi

Location: In a pile of s***, and I ain't got the shoes for it

Unread postby Roy » Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:24 pm

In some Cases the sentences and fines of certain crimes are a little low and these should be increased I suppose I'm against capital punishment
and alittle for it so I'm not going into that.
For those of you who play or have played nation states, I am the Infamous Lord Watkins.

Ha Ha Ha Ha,
Roy
Changshi

Unread postby Antiochus » Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:25 pm

huaxiong wrote:They should use painful means to dispose of the criminals.

While I do understand what you seem to believe in, a criminal system should never defend the notion of making someone suffer. It is both unnessesary and improductive, not to mention it would turn the system into something just has bad as the criminality its trying to destroy.

Death could be justified, but not torture.
If they can abolish fanaticism, let us pray for the advent of the sceptics.

Raymond Aron
The Opium of the Intellectuals
Antiochus
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Long » Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:32 pm

Because the process of an execution is both costly and not really productive

As opposed to incarcerating a capitol offender for 40+ years at the expense of thousands of taxpayers dollars? Not only that, but all of the court costs and wasted time used on appeals as well?

1 bullet costs less than a dollar...

I'm of the firm belief that with prisons being overcrowded, and crime being prevalent and seeping into even suburbia America, we really need to start bringing about harsher punishment to criminals. As a law-abiding tax payer, I find it outrageous that my tax money is being used to prolong the life of an individual who commits heinous crimes. I do not believe in rehabilitation, nor do I believe in turning the other cheek.
"Never argue with an idiot. They'll just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience."
"Censorship is a tool for the closed-minded and insecure."
Long
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Master Kong » Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:42 pm

Long wrote:I'm of the firm belief that with prisons being overcrowded, and crime being prevalent and seeping into even suburbia America, we really need to start bringing about harsher punishment to criminals. As a law-abiding tax payer, I find it outrageous that my tax money is being used to prolong the life of an individual who commits heinous crimes. I do not believe in rehabilitation, nor do I believe in turning the other cheek.

The majority of those prisoners are in for crimes that don't nearly warrant such harsh penalty. Perhaps instead of mass killings of the people in prison, we should rethink our laws so we don't get thousands of people whose only crime was partaking in some substance crowding our prisons and using our tax money.

Many people are in prison are there due to drug charges, and solely drug charges. The only reason they are criminals is because our leaders think that controlling the population is equal to being a free state. Others are in for crimes of survival. This wouldn't be the case had money gone to developing our neighborhoods rather than developing prisons for the criminals we created.

On the other hand, while I don't support Capital Punishment, I do support killing certain people. Its not punishment, and in no way should we aim to make them suffer. Its practicality, some people do not benefit society, nor will they. Rapists, should be shot. The folks who are addicted to killing and become serial killers, should be shot. But once again, this isn't punishment for their actions, its removal of them for society's benefit. But only the very worst, and no more. Even most murderers I wouldn't want this, so long as they aren't killing for the love of killing.
"Ford, you are turning in to an infinite number of penguins. Stop it."
Master Kong
Scholar

Unread postby Frank » Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:47 pm

Personally, I'm opposed to both capital punishment and life imprisonment.

Implementing the death penalty is very cost prohibitive, and we're running out of rooms in our prisons to even consider putting any more people in there.

Rehabilitation, in most cases, is the way to go.
/b/lackup has arrived.
Frank
Florida’s Finest

Unread postby Shikanosuke » Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:08 pm

I have no problem with harsher punishments or the death penalty here in the U.S.

I'm still unconvinced executions either do or have to cost more than life imprisonment. Furthermore, I also wonder which if the extra cost would balance out with increased deterrence to crime.
Shikanosuke
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Next

Return to Current Affairs