British Monarchy

Discuss events that have an impact on you and the world today. A home for honest, serious, and open discussion.

British Monarchy

Unread postby Sun Fin » Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:19 pm

Since the Queen just became the oldest ever ruler Britian hve ever had I thought it would be a good time to see what your views on her and her family are. For example who should get the throne next, if anyone and why you think that. also if you think the monachy is a goo thing, a joke or a bad thing. I'll give my opinion at some point but I want to see what the rest of you think..
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby English_Druid » Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:27 pm

The Monarchy is a marvellous British institution that is bloody-good value-for-money.
I don't mind Charles taking the throne, but I think that he shouldn't for the sake of the Monarchy's continued presence in the commonwealth. He should immediately abdicate in favour of his son.
But no one dies in the right place
Or in the right hour
And everyone dies sooner than his time
And before he reaches home.
English_Druid
Scholar of Ying Guo

Unread postby Long » Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:56 pm

I admire the limeys for having such a long lasting monarchy, and as far as succession, I think that William should be made king when ole Queen Elizabeth steps down.
"Never argue with an idiot. They'll just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience."
"Censorship is a tool for the closed-minded and insecure."
Long
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Tigger of Kai » Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:26 pm

A hereditary head of the state, the church, and the armed forces? What a great idea! Let's sail around the world and inflict it on some brand new countries too, that'll make it even better!

preexisting topic here:
http://the-scholars.com/viewtopic.php?p=130461#130461
Mithril! The dwarves tell no tales. But just as it was the foundation of their wealth, so also it was their destruction. They delved too greedily and too deep, and disturbed that from which they fled.
Tigger of Kai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Shikanosuke » Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:34 am

Since from my knowledge the royal family has little influence on politics or at least the decision making, I don't see the harm.
Shikanosuke
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby English_Druid » Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:29 am

That’s right. Most of the Queens political powers are wielded by the Government on her behalf. She also has the right to advise and warn the Government of the day. Apart from that, she is a Tourist attraction, Ambassador and a fundamental piece of the UK's unwritten Constitutional system.
But no one dies in the right place
Or in the right hour
And everyone dies sooner than his time
And before he reaches home.
English_Druid
Scholar of Ying Guo

Unread postby Shi Tong » Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:15 pm

Yeah Tigger, where did you get that idea from? You think that Queen makes our decisions for us? :lol: :lol:

Ever heard of Tony Blair or Gordon Brown (ugh...)??

I actually think that, despite the fact that it's a total waste of money in terms of what the British public have to stump up, it's quite cool to have a Monarchy. I dont think the Queen is particularly amazing, but I guess I just like the idea.

William would be a good King too BTW, he's much more young and dashing than his dad, so maybe more people would think that tourism to Britain is a good idea for the younger prince. :lol:
Shi Tong
Stupid Egg of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Tigger of Kai » Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:18 pm

Shi Tong wrote:Yeah Tigger, where did you get that idea from? You think that Queen makes our decisions for us? :lol: :lol:

No, that would be too much like having a real job. (By "us", I hope you mean to include your overseas cousins?) In addition to being notoriously work-shy, these non-British, non-nobles are an embarrassment that won't go away. This holds true for both their sordid personal lives and for the anti-democratic, sectarian religious hierarchy they represent.
Mithril! The dwarves tell no tales. But just as it was the foundation of their wealth, so also it was their destruction. They delved too greedily and too deep, and disturbed that from which they fled.
Tigger of Kai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Shikanosuke » Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:32 pm

Tigger of Kai wrote:
Shi Tong wrote:Yeah Tigger, where did you get that idea from? You think that Queen makes our decisions for us? :lol: :lol:

No, that would be too much like having a real job. (By "us", I hope you mean to include your overseas cousins?) In addition to being notoriously work-shy, these non-British, non-nobles are an embarrassment that won't go away. This holds true for both their sordid personal lives and for the anti-democratic, sectarian religious hierarchy they represent.

They are figure heads. Relics from the past. I don't see why you're so opposed to them existing. They simply reflect a past tradition. They are mere novelties. Not being British I certainly have little objection.
Shikanosuke
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Ranmaru Mori » Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:51 pm

Well there nothing more than a glorified tourist attraction and they must attract a certain amount of tourist money but does that out way the amount used in the upkeep of an antiquated figure head.
Ranmaru Mori
Apprentice

Next

Return to Current Affairs