British Monarchy

Discuss events that have an impact on you and the world today. A home for honest, serious, and open discussion.

Unread postby English_Druid » Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:07 pm

But when people try to pass them as being the best thing to happen and their empire as being the most benevolent boon to civilization and trying to justify or gloss over what they did, then yeah, I have a problem with that.

Good job no one has said anything of the sort..

Yes the British Empire did some terrible things, but it was hardly one of the worst. Take for example the freedom fighters in east Asia who rose up to evict their British masters in the face of Japanese conquest. Boy did they regret that.
But no one dies in the right place
Or in the right hour
And everyone dies sooner than his time
And before he reaches home.
English_Druid
Scholar of Ying Guo

Unread postby Tigger of Kai » Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:03 am

English_Druid wrote:Take for example the freedom fighters in east Asia who rose up to evict their British masters in the face of Japanese conquest. Boy did they regret that.

"Look out, it's the Battle of the Fifty-Foot God-Kings! Anglicans vs. Shintoists! George VI vs. Hirohito!"

TsaoTsao wrote:I don't care much for the Monarchy, but the point is they're Britain's monarchy and only the British have the right to say if they should be removed or not

You're killing me over here, man, just killing me. Have I not drawn enough attention to the fact that the old bat reigns over a total of 16 different countries? Why bemoan those poor abject boo-hoo "Third World" nations, who are so wretchedly powerless to throw off the crushing manacles of colonialism etc., when "First Worlders" like Australia and Canada and the U.K., who clearly can change, are still clinging to the harmful institutions and practices of our undemocratic past?
Mithril! The dwarves tell no tales. But just as it was the foundation of their wealth, so also it was their destruction. They delved too greedily and too deep, and disturbed that from which they fled.
Tigger of Kai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby TsaoTsao » Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:57 am

Tigger of Kai wrote:
English_Druid wrote:Take for example the freedom fighters in east Asia who rose up to evict their British masters in the face of Japanese conquest. Boy did they regret that.

"Look out, it's the Battle of the Fifty-Foot God-Kings! Anglicans vs. Shintoists! George VI vs. Hirohito!"

Hehe, you beat me to it.

Tigger of Kai wrote:You're killing me over here, man, just killing me. Have I not drawn enough attention to the fact that the old bat reigns over a total of 16 different countries? Why bemoan those poor abject boo-hoo "Third World" nations, who are so wretchedly powerless to throw off the crushing manacles of colonialism etc., when "First Worlders" like Australia and Canada and the U.K., who clearly can change, are still clinging to the harmful institutions and practices of our undemocratic past?

What? I'm confused. I think you misunderstood. What I meant was, if the British like their monarchy, let them keep it, but it doesn't mean we have to.

I'm not a fan of being one of "her majesty's" dominions either, and we can cease whenever we want (why we don't I don't know why). What I meant was, even if we and the other dominions stop worshiping her as our head of state, the British monarchy is still going to be around in BRITAIN and if the British people wish to continue performing whatever rituals they perform to appease their queen, then let them, just don't expect us to do it.

I know, I'm probably not explaining it clearly. Let me put it this way: Theres this Dominatrix club located in Britain in which Oz, Moose and Alfred likes going to. Lets say Moose decides to stop going cause, well its getting boring and the dominatrix is now dried up like a prune and no longer wearing leather but granny pants and we prefer a little more hair on our beavers. Even if Moose stops going, the club is still going to be around in Britain and if getting spanked by granny is what gets Oz and Alfred off then so be it. Moose doesn't have the right to tell Britain to tear that club down just because Moose canceled his membership nor does he have the right to tell Oz and Alfred to stop going.
TsaoTsao
Master

Location: The Canadian city every other Canadian not living here hates

Unread postby Ranbir » Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:30 pm

are still clinging to the harmful institutions and practices of our undemocratic past?

Because it is in no way undermining our democratic present or future.
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby English_Druid » Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:48 pm

Nor, as far as I can see, has anyone established that it is a 'harmful institution.' On the contrary, the myriad of charitable organisations and trusts to which the British Monarchy contribute may think otherwise.
But no one dies in the right place
Or in the right hour
And everyone dies sooner than his time
And before he reaches home.
English_Druid
Scholar of Ying Guo

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:09 pm

I would change the anthem, love the tune but not so much the words while some parts of the monarchy and people's attitudes to it will need to change to survive. I'm reluctant to let go of the Monarchy, it does some good things, is part of our long history (even if the dynasty itself is only 100 years old) and I would miss the monarchy if it went.
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Ranbir » Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:15 pm

Change the anthem?

But we have the finest national anthem in the world. It's the only sensible anthem that exists.
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby SunXia » Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:10 pm

Oh don't change the British Anthem!! It's funny!!
If becoming enlightened or an intellectual means I must become arrogant and coldly cynical about the world around me then I'd gladly remain a fool for the rest of my life!!

I'm Out4Marriage!!!Are You??

It is a CHOICE!!
SunXia
Warrior Princess
Warrior Princess

Location: Keeping Evils from this world at bay...with a smile!!

Unread postby TsaoTsao » Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:19 am

SunXia wrote:Oh don't change the British Anthem!! It's funny!!

:lol: That was classic. He had some pretty good suggestions :lol:
TsaoTsao
Master

Location: The Canadian city every other Canadian not living here hates

Unread postby Shi Tong » Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:14 pm

What I meant was, if the British like their monarchy, let them keep it, but it doesn't mean we have to.

Exactly, I'm not suggesting that anyone else has to keep the monarchy, not at all, in fact, I couldn't give a rats arse about anyone else's adoption, or ..... unadoption of the British Monarchy.

Does it do any harm to Britain? Not really, you could say that some people are put off because they dont like them, you could also say that some people like them, so they're not put off.

Does it cost too much to keep them? Not really.

Should they have tax havens? Probably not. Should anyone? Probably not, but it's not like we have a fit every time we hear that Richard Branston Pickle has put aside millions of pounds in a tax haven is it?

German? What you mean that people were born before outside of the UK, and that they came here and became British afterwards? What? Like the fact that 40% of London's gene pool is French? Never.. that's scary.

That's almost as much BS as someone who's Canadian or American claiming that because they were born in Canada or America that they're "natives", whereas the actual natives were the ones that their ancestors managed to kill most of.

Classic.

So why does it concern anyone else but the Brits if the Brits like or dislike their own monarchy?

TBH, I think they're human. Some of them I think are ok, some of them I dislike. That's what they are, humans, not Gods representative on earth who should be obeyed.

I think that it's comfortable and to no detriment to the UK to have a British Monarchy, so that's fine by me.
Shi Tong
Stupid Egg of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Current Affairs