British Monarchy

Discuss events that have an impact on you and the world today. A home for honest, serious, and open discussion.

Unread postby TsaoTsao » Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:36 pm

Ranmaru Mori wrote:Well there nothing more than a glorified tourist attraction and they must attract a certain amount of tourist money but does that out way the amount used in the upkeep of an antiquated figure head.

Yeah, I was wondering that too.

Personally, I'm not fond of monarchies, but I do have a few questions.

Who pays for their living expenses? Do you think its fair that they (and their friends) have tax havens outside of England?
TsaoTsao
Master

Location: The Canadian city every other Canadian not living here hates

Unread postby English_Druid » Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:08 pm

The Monarchy costs the public purse about £37m, a paltry figure.

Anyone who watched the BBCs recent Queen documentary would have seen how much she works her arse off. Getting bounced from one engagement to the next, having to walk around a room, shake the hand of, and feign an interest in, over 200 people. Then stand up and make a long-winded speech followed by a walk around the town smiling for 2 hours at all the people. Then she gets on a plane and does it all over again.
But no one dies in the right place
Or in the right hour
And everyone dies sooner than his time
And before he reaches home.
English_Druid
Scholar of Ying Guo

Unread postby Tigger of Kai » Sat Dec 22, 2007 3:23 pm

Shikanosuke wrote:They are figure heads. Relics from the past. I don't see why you're so opposed to them existing. They simply reflect a past tradition. They are mere novelties. Not being British I certainly have little objection.

As I say, they are embarrassing. Their main activity is squabbling with one another — the welcome death of Diana Spencer has provided a respite, but only a temporary one. They are only going to get crazier.

You can tell a lot about a nation from the symbols it chooses. Here in Canada we have a disgusting, very current tradition of political patronage, and it goes hand-in-glove with our penchant for keeping and celebrating these glorified zoo animals. Church and state are not separate in this country, and never will be while our head of state is also chief of the Church of England. Relics these people are indeed, and the veneration of relics is something our species ought to have outgrown long ago.
Mithril! The dwarves tell no tales. But just as it was the foundation of their wealth, so also it was their destruction. They delved too greedily and too deep, and disturbed that from which they fled.
Tigger of Kai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Ranbir » Sat Dec 22, 2007 5:29 pm

God Save the Queen.

An anthem that makes sense. And clearly an agreement with God that's working given she is our longest lasting Monarch.

It helps us avoid silly anthems like having the line, "Our home and native land!"

Strange! Given for most, their native land would be England or France! No mention of the people that put them there either. Tut!

Our Head of State is awesome. The Head of an Awesome State. Rule Britannia! Britannia rules, yes you got it, the waves.
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby Shikanosuke » Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:29 pm

Tigger of Kai wrote:
Shikanosuke wrote:They are figure heads. Relics from the past. I don't see why you're so opposed to them existing. They simply reflect a past tradition. They are mere novelties. Not being British I certainly have little objection.

As I say, they are embarrassing. Their main activity is squabbling with one another — the welcome death of Diana Spencer has provided a respite, but only a temporary one. They are only going to get crazier.

You can tell a lot about a nation from the symbols it chooses. Here in Canada we have a disgusting, very current tradition of political patronage, and it goes hand-in-glove with our penchant for keeping and celebrating these glorified zoo animals. Church and state are not separate in this country, and never will be while our head of state is also chief of the Church of England. Relics these people are indeed, and the veneration of relics is something our species ought to have outgrown long ago.

I'm not British so I'm not speaking with authority, but do the British hold their royal family with the highest honors? Do they take them extremely seriously or merely as a public spectacle? Petty drama aside I would figure the royal family stands for national stability and tradition. But hey, you guys don't like it, alright by me.
Shikanosuke
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Ranmaru Mori » Sun Dec 23, 2007 1:25 am

TsaoTsao wrote:
Ranmaru Mori wrote:Well there nothing more than a glorified tourist attraction and they must attract a certain amount of tourist money but does that out way the amount used in the upkeep of an antiquated figure head.

Yeah, I was wondering that too.

Personally, I'm not fond of monarchies, but I do have a few questions.

Who pays for their living expenses? Do you think its fair that they (and their friends) have tax havens outside of England?

As an American I am not the most knowledgeable person regarding the British monarchy but any form of tax havens for them seems unfair. They also used to have a law exempting the monarch from any and all prosecution I don't know if thats still so but thats rather amazing IMO.
Ranmaru Mori
Apprentice

Unread postby Tigger of Kai » Sun Dec 23, 2007 5:25 am

Ranbir wrote:Strange! Given for most, their native land would be England or France!

Actually most Canadians, myself included, are not of predominately British or French descent.

Nevertheless I am a huge Anglophile, and I am puzzled as to why such people, not to mention my own countrymen, continue to be ruled by a family of Germans. The uncomfortable fact that the "House of Windsor" is really the House of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha caused Britain no end of trouble in the last century, much of which was spent at war with Germany. Even after the royal surname was cynically re-branded in 1917 to something lifted from Shakespeare's comedies, the biggest embarrassment was still to come: Edward VIII and his awful Mrs. Simpson were ardently pro-Hitler throughout World War II! Poor Harry the Nazi was just doing what's in his blood — and isn't that what hereditary monarchy is all about?

So, in answer to Shikanosuke: do not make the mistake of thinking that the prevailing, rather fatuous and giggly attitude toward the royals can be maintained forever. The humiliations are just going to keep on coming.
Mithril! The dwarves tell no tales. But just as it was the foundation of their wealth, so also it was their destruction. They delved too greedily and too deep, and disturbed that from which they fled.
Tigger of Kai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Kong Wen » Sun Dec 23, 2007 5:25 am

Ranbir wrote:It helps us avoid silly anthems like having the line, "Our home and native land!"

Strange! Given for most, their native land would be England or France!

I can't speak for the rest of the country, but I was born in Canada.
"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back."
— Roland Deschain, Wolves of the Calla
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby Jebusrocks » Sun Dec 23, 2007 5:38 am

English_Druid wrote:The Monarchy costs the public purse about £37m, a paltry figure.

Anyone who watched the BBCs recent Queen documentary would have seen how much she works her arse off. Getting bounced from one engagement to the next, having to walk around a room, shake the hand of, and feign an interest in, over 200 people. Then stand up and make a long-winded speech followed by a walk around the town smiling for 2 hours at all the people. Then she gets on a plane and does it all over again.

nuff said! And if you think 37million pounds is a lot of money, watch how Athletes are paid nowadays!!
It is curious that the Americans, who calculate so carefully on the possibilities of military victory, do not realize that in the process they are incurring deep psychological and political defeat.
Jebusrocks
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Ranbir » Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:13 am

I can't speak for the rest of the country, but I was born in Canada.

I'm sure the actual natives (The people not descended from outsiders) lap that up everytime the anthem comes on. :)

Nevertheless I am a huge Anglophile, and I am puzzled as to why such people, not to mention my own countrymen, continue to be ruled by a family of Germans. The uncomfortable fact that the "House of Windsor" is really the House of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha caused Britain no end of trouble in the last century, much of which was spent at war with Germany. Even after the royal surname was cynically re-branded in 1917 to something lifted from Shakespeare's comedies, the biggest embarrassment was still to come: Edward VIII and his awful Mrs. Simpson were ardently pro-Hitler throughout World War II! Poor Harry the Nazi was just doing what's in his blood — and isn't that what hereditary monarchy is all about?

Better than a hereditary presidency, I hope you'll agree.

The Royal Family is Germany, but think about it this way. By Queen Vic's time, every royal family in Europe was related to each other. If good ol' Vicki didn't spread around her haemophilia, Rasputin might never have managed to get in the Tsarina and help bring about Revolution.
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

PreviousNext

Return to Current Affairs