British Monarchy

Discuss events that have an impact on you and the world today. A home for honest, serious, and open discussion.

Re: British Monarchy

Unread postby Bush Leagues » Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:38 am

I read a big article on Queen Elizabeth, and what would happen on her death. It's gonna be a big deal. Like, seriously big. Princess Diana times 100.

One thing I'm curious about - how much do the other nations of the commonwealth (India, Canada, etc) play into...I don't know...like, English thought, I guess? Will Canada pay close attention and enter a period of mourning like England will? Will the nations of the Commonwealth reach out to England, or vice versa?

I'm guess I'm curious what kind of connection these is between the mother nation and her former colonies.
Currently playing: Android: Netrunner LCG , Shadowrun (tabletop), and Warhammer Ancient Battle.

Pan Feng can destroy this Hua Xiong! A Han Fu ROTK IX After-Action Report.
One of the best posts ever about Pan Feng.
Bush Leagues
Sage

Unread postby Sun Fin » Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:02 am

I don't think anyone is really sure because it's been so long since the last monarch has died and the world has moved on so much in that time people won't be sure. Will be a fascinating time but hopefully not something we'll need to face for a while yet. The bigger issue will be to do with Prince Charles and I'd rather stay away from that controversy!
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Bush Leagues » Fri Sep 11, 2015 4:29 am

Sun Fin wrote:The bigger issue will be to do with Prince Charles and I'd rather stay away from that controversy!

Marry him off to a distant relative, give him some land far away, then plot to murder him once he has an heir.

Oops, been playing too much Crusader Kings 2. :lol:
Currently playing: Android: Netrunner LCG , Shadowrun (tabletop), and Warhammer Ancient Battle.

Pan Feng can destroy this Hua Xiong! A Han Fu ROTK IX After-Action Report.
One of the best posts ever about Pan Feng.
Bush Leagues
Sage

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:37 pm

Bush Leagues wrote:I read a big article on Queen Elizabeth, and what would happen on her death. It's gonna be a big deal. Like, seriously big. Princess Diana times 100.

I really hope we don't get the Princess Diana hysteria. I'm also hoping that the praise for the Queen doesn't go much above what is now (will be up of course, one expects that about the dead) as it is already simpering and fawning. Popes are more critical of Jesus then the British establishment (press, BBC and politicians) are about the current Queen.

One thing I'm curious about - how much do the other nations of the commonwealth (India, Canada, etc) play into...I don't know...like, English thought, I guess?

We don't care really as a populace. Sports fans for Commonwealth games, there are a small percentage who thrill in the history of Commonwealth, Royal Family love Commonwealth, Whitehall and PM's/Foreign Office tend to love it as they see it as another way of building up trade and influence.

Individually, I think Commonwealth history plays a part in our thinking about India and some of the countries we have degrees of bonds, some we love, some we have no idea who they are. I think media attention can be drawn to certain countries (Zimbabwe for example) that they might not if not for once controlling it.

Will Canada pay close attention and enter a period of mourning like England will? Will the nations of the Commonwealth reach out to England, or vice versa?

Some of the smaller ones may out-British the British and do something big, most like Canada will do what most countries will do. Send someone to the funeral, appropriate sad words, any governor-general will go into mourning but I doubt Canada itself will. After a discreet interval, some countries may seek to stop having Queen as head of state
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby DragonAtma » Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:33 am

It's always possible that Elizabeth II will outlive Prince Charles. Yes, it's unlikely, but keep in mind that Louis XIV of France outlived his son, two of his grandsons (the third became was King Philip V of Spain), AND his eldest great-grandson, so his successor was his second great-grandson.
Unless I specifically say otherwise, assume I am talking about historical Three Kingdoms, and not the novel.
DragonAtma
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Kayzr » Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:38 am

The House of Hanover, aka Saxe-Coburg-Gotha..... :roll:

Where did the Stuarts go? :P
Let us begin with Zeus, whom we mortals never leave unspoken.
For every street, every market-place is full of Zeus.
Even the sea and the harbour are full of this deity.
Everywhere everyone is indebted to Zeus.
For we are indeed his offspring.
Kayzr
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby SunXia » Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:25 am

The House of Hanover ended in 1901 and I think you know that.

I think the topic on "houses" should go to Charles, technically he's of the House of Greece and Denmark (or properly the House of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg) if we go by traditional Houses and marriages but Windsor has seemed to have replaced them all!!
If becoming enlightened or an intellectual means I must become arrogant and coldly cynical about the world around me then I'd gladly remain a fool for the rest of my life!!

I'm Out4Marriage!!!Are You??

It is a CHOICE!!
SunXia
Warrior Princess
Warrior Princess

Location: Keeping Evils from this world at bay...with a smile!!

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Thu May 04, 2017 12:25 pm

Prince Philip essentially retiring in August

He isn't dead, Sun jumped the gun there (given Sky News got in trouble for speculating May was about to retire a few weeks ago, bit stupid) and won't be popular with the Palace.
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Previous

Return to Current Affairs