Got religion? Here, let me shove some down your throat...

Discuss events that have an impact on you and the world today. A home for honest, serious, and open discussion.

Unread postby Admiral_Barton » Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:47 am

Personally I like Evangelism, when done correctly. I evangelize to people, but only on a personal level myself. I do believe that there is bad evangelism, such as trying to forcefeed religion to people. However evangelism is essential for those who may not know or understand a religion, and is someone is there to talk to them about it, it helps.

Evangelism done correctly is good. The one time I went door to door handing out the Book of Hope if someone said they didn't want it I left them alone, no big deal. However I had an incident where a lady yelled at me from a window and asked me if I was handing out books of hope and wanted one badly enough to run downstairs to the gate to get it(and we weren't even stopping at the house).
"History does repeat itself, we just don't care to notice."
"I have a political statement on everything, even cookies."
“To know everything is to have missed the point."
Admiral_Barton
Sage

Location: I'd kill for you, I'd die for you, but most of all I'd live for you

Unread postby Rhiannon » Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:21 am

I'm of the feeling that evangelism should be done between friends - friends who have an established and respectful relationship.

Those who are seeking new religious or spiritual experiences will go out of their way to find them (or be brought out of their way to find them).

It's important to realize that religion is pretty much an accident of birth. A great deal of us were born in a Christian household, and remain Christian or at least maintain many of the same concepts. Transport us elsewhere, and we could say that most of us are Hindu, or Buddhist, and so on, and usually retain what we were raised with. That's why I'm opposed to evangelism at its core - it maintains that the evangelized religion is the "right" one, and all others are "wrong." This puts a great deal of strain on the portions of the world in which this evangelized religion is not the common religion, as the common religion is embedded into culture and not detached from it.

James: In regards to out-of-state versus Salt Lake Mormons ... I was speaking with a Mormon once (a previous co-worker), who had lived in Utah for several years on and off, but had otherwise lived in California, and had grown up Mormon. He explained that in every ward he'd experienced in California, the rules were by far more fundamentalist and most children growing up Mormon had truly done a total-rebellion of the faith by age 15 (and by total rebellion, I mean doing the whole drugs-sex-booze-rebel reaction), and were physically ousted from their families from their homes to go live elsewhere. The behavior of these youth was quickly detected and pushed out of the churches immediately. In addition to this, the evangelism portion of the religion was just as strict, and he'd even heard rumors within his own congregation that failing to convert someone was almost equivalent to sinning.

On the other hand, he said, the Salt Lake Mormons were very warm, welcoming, inviting, and forgiving, and he'd never heard of a case of a child being ousted from their home, even if they did the total-rebellion. He said that they're far more tolerant of member's mistakes, rather "drawing back into the herd" than shoving them out. He also indicated that the evangelism portion seemed to be a much more tolerant and respectful one in Salt Lake than elsewhere.

Of course, out-of-Salt-Lake Mormons are another topic entirely.
"For us to have self-esteem is truly an act of revolution and our revolution is long overdue."
— Margaret Cho
Rhiannon
Joy & Oblivion
Joy & Oblivion

Previous

Return to Current Affairs