Baby Drop Box

Discuss events that have an impact on you and the world today. A home for honest, serious, and open discussion.

"Baby Drop Box"

Great idea
57%
Horrible idea
43%

Total votes : 7

Baby Drop Box

Unread postby Jason » Fri May 18, 2007 11:07 pm

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/asiapcf/0 ... index.html

Kind of shocking that someone would do this. What are your thoughts on this one man's actions, and your thoughts on even having a "drop box" existing? Please explain why.
“I always wonder why birds choose to stay in the same place when they can fly anywhere on the earth, then I ask myself the same question.”

― Harun Yahya
Jason
Legendary

Unread postby Gabriel » Fri May 18, 2007 11:20 pm

I can't say that I agree with the man's actions, but I do like the idea of a drop box. It's better then dumping a new born in a dumpster right?
You don't need to go to church to be saved, and you don't need to go to rehab to get off drugs. You just need to make the right decisions.
Gabriel
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Kristina » Fri May 18, 2007 11:59 pm

Honestly, I dont think its a bad idea. As said before, it's better than babies in a dumpster. I'd kill the guy who did that to his toddler. . Like the article said, that kid could end up having mental issues for that.

Something like that would have to have an age limit. . .It's got alot of room for screwing up, but it is a step up from people leaving the kids around in public places, leaving them on doorsteps, and/or killing the children.
Kristina
Certified Zombie Killer Harlequin

Unread postby Adam » Sat May 19, 2007 2:53 am

Kristina wrote:Something like that would have to have an age limit.

If you read the entire article you would have seen that there is an age limit.

The issue that didn't appear to be addressed:
Was there someone supposed to be monitoring the drop box?
If yer going to set up age limits on it, you should have someone there making sure that this kind of thing doesn't happen in the first place.
If you can't do it properly, then it's a bad idea, and they apparently can't.
Adam
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Kristina » Sat May 19, 2007 4:18 am

Adam Sisemore wrote:
Kristina wrote:Something like that would have to have an age limit.

If you read the entire article you would have seen that there is an age limit.

I did read the entire thing, it was a would of agreement that they had an age limit. GAH! Thats one thing I hate about the net, it's impossible to show the correct emphasis on teh right words 100% percent.

It was more like somehting like that -would- have to have an age limit

Ah well.

And huh, I didnt think of that. . .I kinda assumed that they would have someone monitoring it. . .But when you do think about it apparently they didnt. . .
Kristina

Unread postby Lady Wu » Sat May 19, 2007 9:33 am

The point of not having someone monitoring the drop-off is to protect the anonymity of the parents. These are people who couldn't bring themselves to a proper adoption agency in the first place, and who prefer to ditch the baby somewhere when people can't see them (like in a dumpster in the middle of the night). The baby drop-box gives people an option where they won't have to worry about being judged by a bystander.

What the father did was wrong, but it was probably better for the kid to be dumped and adopted than to be abused or neglected at home. Of course, the father has some serious parental issues to sort out, and cannot be excused for abandoning a knowing child like that.
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Unread postby Adam » Sat May 19, 2007 11:36 am

I'm not saying someone should be standing out there watching the people, but someone should be inside watching said box, assuming of course there's no way for the person doing the dumping to be seen. I never said they should be glaring out a window at people who come up to it.
Adam
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby English_Druid » Sat May 19, 2007 12:25 pm

I don’t know whether I like this idea or not. In theory it could be a good thing for the reasons mentioned, but creating this box and making it easier for people to make the decision to abandon their child kind of gives it social 'approval.'

"If you dont want your child please place him in their.... Next!"

I think it will encourage parents who are thinking to take this drastic step in doing so. If they are intend on abandoning their child there are a myriad of ways of doing it. The process of dumping your offspring should be stigmatised as it currently is. Not to make he parents feel like shit or to force them to keep the child - as I think in some rare cases it is the best decision - but to make them think long and hard about it. Bringing up a child is hard and you can often become overcome with stress and depression. In these moments of lapsed judgement you could do things you regret. The social stigma of the whole thing makes you think long and hard about it.

Plus, the article makes it clear the box is intended to discourage abortion. For this reason I am wholly against the box. I’ve never been in institutional care, but from what I gather it isn’t that great. Society needs its generations brought up on love and care. Not at the feet of a cold distant employee.
English_Druid
Scholar of Ying Guo

Unread postby Kristina » Sat May 19, 2007 2:41 pm

English_Druid wrote:
Plus, the article makes it clear the box is intended to discourage abortion. For this reason I am wholly against the box. I’ve never been in institutional care, but from what I gather it isn’t that great. Society needs its generations brought up on love and care. Not at the feet of a cold distant employee.

The article also mentions that it's also to discourage babies being left in public places. It's run by Catholocs, so of course they'd want to discourage abortion as well.

How much love and care do you think these children (minus those who who you mentioned could just be feeling really depressed ansd hopeless) would get if their parents were so ready to dump them?
Kristina

Unread postby Lady Wu » Sat May 19, 2007 9:24 pm

Also keep in mind that Japan is suffering from an aging population crisis right now, and the government is actually encouraging people to have kids.
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu

Next

Return to Current Affairs