Climate Change (a.k.a. Global Warming)

Discuss events that have an impact on you and the world today. A home for honest, serious, and open discussion.

Climate Change (a.k.a. Global Warming)

Unread postby Nightfire » Mon Oct 31, 2005 2:57 pm

The world has to find some way of repairing the ozone layer in some way, we are burning way too many fossil fuels at an accelerated rate, this could have a serious impact on the future generations, i believe we are merely the 'lease holders' of earth and we don't own it, it's mans duty to maintain the planet, but it's being filled with carbon monoxide, the polar ice cap is melting and the rainforests are dying, in my opinion we need to act upon this, Mother Nature is already showing signs of this from the natural disasters ocurring over the past 2 years from the devistating tsunami in 2004 to the most recent earthquake in asia, we must do something about this - Quickly! :?
--- Nightfire ---
Nightfire
Tyro

Unread postby Duncan » Mon Oct 31, 2005 3:35 pm

There is more on this subject here.
Suffice to say, I agree with you. There is a TV ad in the UK telling people that they should use 20% less power (switching off lights, turning the TV off rather than leaving it on standby, adjusting the thermostat a notch and so forth), all of which would help if everybody did it.

I walked to work this morning (feels virtuous).
Duncan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Sun Hua

Unread postby Nightfire » Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:06 pm

i know what you mean, i've seen that advert, i prefer to cycle from a 2 b unless it's quite a far way i i have no alternative but to travel by car. I feel some guilt when i know that man is ruining our planet.
--- Nightfire ---
Nightfire
Tyro

Unread postby Cao Chao » Mon Oct 31, 2005 6:28 pm

Although I think that Global Warming will and can become a major problem, I greatly dislike how it has been over-hyped by the media. As a whole, global temperatures have fallen for the last 200 or so years, although temperatures have risen in the last 100 years as the world is warming itself from the "little Ice Age" that we experienced. The ozone layer over Antartica has been restored.

Global Warming is an issue of grave importance, but scientists, especially those studying weather patterns stretching back many years do not have an accurate picture of the temperature cycles that the Earth naturally undergoes. Unless we know this, we cannot completely say that Global Warming is a result of human waste, although pollution definitely plays a factor.

Another problem that I find troubling about Global Warming is the fact how useless all efforts have been at trying to reduce pollution. The Kyoto Protocol, the much-hailed protocol that many say America should have remained as a signee of, was useless. The total effect of 5% reduction of greenhouse gases would only have resulted in approximately a .2 degree Fahrenheit reduction in the rise of temperature by 2010. This miniscule reduction is nothing, in the grand scheme of things.

Unless the world truly wants to tackle the issue and unless we find out more about the temperature cycles that the Earth undergoes, Global Warming does not deserve to be as big an issue as it is today.
曹操曰:宁教我负天下人,休教天下人负我!
Cao Chao
Langzhong

Unread postby Ranbir » Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:54 pm

The ozone layer over Antartica has been restored.

No it hasn't. The rate of depletion has just slowed down thanks to the CFC ban from 1996. And that said, the ozone has little to do with global warming.

Ozone protects the earth from the sun's harmful UV rays.

And scientists have plenty of evidences of the temperature of the earth whatever years ago. It's amazing what dirt can show us.

Just like it's shown that the amazon rainforest acts like a giant 'heat sink'. The more deforestation, the greater the release of it, causing sharp rises in temperature, not those of steady rates that make this problem so unimportant.
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby Duncan » Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:49 am

Cao Chao wrote:Although I think that Global Warming will and can become a major problem, I greatly dislike how it has been over-hyped by the media.

I'm sorry, but I can't let this pass. Wrong on oh so many counts. Ranbir has already pointed out the ozone layer error.

Cao Chao wrote:As a whole, global temperatures have fallen for the last 200 or so years, although temperatures have risen in the last 100 years as the world is warming itself from the "little Ice Age" that we experienced.

Global Warming is an issue of grave importance, but scientists, especially those studying weather patterns stretching back many years do not have an accurate picture of the temperature cycles that the Earth naturally undergoes. Unless we know this, we cannot completely say that Global Warming is a result of human waste, although pollution definitely plays a factor.

Our last ice age was about 10,000 years ago. Since then we have had a warming cycle that lasted up until around 4000 years ago (when it was on average warmer than the 20th century). Since then we've had slow fluctuations of global temperature, with mini cold snaps and so forth.

All of this can be demonstrated using evidence from ice cores, peat bogs and alluvial deposits. There is masses of research into climate and environment change, global temperature modelling and so forth. We know enough about global temperature cycles to recognise what is happening.

The difference with the changes we've been aware of over the last 50 years are that global temperature is changing faster than in any recorded time period ever. The change is exponentially all in one direction, and all the indicators are that we are making it worse with just about everything we do.

Cao Chao wrote:Another problem that I find troubling about Global Warming is the fact how useless all efforts have been at trying to reduce pollution. The Kyoto Protocol, the much-hailed protocol that many say America should have remained as a signee of, was useless. The total effect of 5% reduction of greenhouse gases would only have resulted in approximately a .2 degree Fahrenheit reduction in the rise of temperature by 2010. This miniscule reduction is nothing, in the grand scheme of things.

The only thing that has attempted to make a difference internationally is the Kyoto protocol. The advances made by all the signatories were counterbalanced by the increase in pollutants from one country that refused to sign - the United States. President Bush has promised to share technology with a range of developing and developed Pacific nations to assist with the control of greenhouse gasses. Interesting, since the United States seems particularly poor at controlling its own.

Cao Chao wrote:Unless the world truly wants to tackle the issue and unless we find out more about the temperature cycles that the Earth undergoes, Global Warming does not deserve to be as big an issue as it is today.

The world does want to tackle the issue. Some people and in particular some countries like to pretend it isn't happening, or that it has nothing to do with them.

If some people don't reckon Global Warming deserves to be a big issue they should move to the Maldives. They could then sit on a beach and announce to the sea that it should go back and not engulf the whole archipelago in the next 25 years - I'm sure it will take notice. :roll:

Anyone who doesn't act to control global warming now has effectively declared war on the Maldives, New Orleans, Holland and many other low lying parts of the world. Have you read John Wyndham's "The Kraken Wakes"?
Duncan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby zhangliao100 » Tue Nov 01, 2005 3:05 pm

its a problem but there is nothing WE can do except play along even if everyone here did what they say it wouldnt help
im back

again
zhangliao100
Master

Unread postby Duncan » Tue Nov 01, 2005 3:27 pm

A 20% reduction in harmful emissions can be achieved by reducing unnecessary waste. Every individual can contribute and make a real difference - government action can achieve even more.

Turning off a TV rather than leaving it on standby, walking, cycling or taking a bus rather than driving short distances, turning all the lights off in a government building that would otherwise be left on overnight - each action makes a slight difference, which in total could make a huge difference.

Direct action by people on the ground can make a difference, and can also have a political effect on governments. Do not assume you are powerless to make a difference, especially on this issue.
Duncan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby zhangliao100 » Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:46 am

not unless the goverment gets involved and that wont happen
im back

again
zhangliao100
Master

Unread postby Starscream » Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:29 am

According to the UN Global Compact, it is essential to get the involvment of companies for any environment activities to see greater improvement. It is pretty true in the sense because manufacturers use a great quantity of fuel and resources. Sometimes such substances are toxic in nature and usage and disposal of such materials have to be done carefully or it will contribute to greater pollution. Therefore, it is important to involve more companies in eco-activities. :)
”太慢了。“
Starscream
Decepticon Air Commander

Next

Return to Current Affairs