Combating the obesity crisis

Discuss events that have an impact on you and the world today. A home for honest, serious, and open discussion.

Combating the obesity crisis

Unread postby Mistelten » Thu Feb 17, 2005 3:53 am

It's obvious that obesity is a tremendous problem today. What steps should we take to kill the problem at its root? The low carb fad is on the way out. I don't see any major exercise trends coming into play.
What should we do to stop this problem?
Mistelten
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Jimayo » Thu Feb 17, 2005 4:14 am

I've always been partial to the 22 gauge solution. I don't know how we can make it work this time, but I'm sure we could find a way.
98% of the internet population has a Myspace. If you're part of the 2% that isn't an emo bastard, copy and paste this into your sig.
Jimayo
Lord of the Thirteen Hells

Location: Nothingness. And that's where I'll be returning in oh, about 15 minutes.

Unread postby Kong Wen » Thu Feb 17, 2005 4:16 am

People have to take charge of their own health.

Eat well, get some exercise, get a good amount of sleep, and stop blaming their problems on McDonalds.
"If I had to do my life over, I would change every single thing I have done."
— Raymond Douglas Davies, 1967
Kong Wen
Golden God
Golden God

Unread postby Mistelten » Thu Feb 17, 2005 4:21 am

No one should blame their self imposed illness on any organization. I drive a lot, and I eat fast food. There are some good things you can get at fast food restaurants if you're careful(if anyone wants, I can put up the list).
I think maybe that if pop stars and the like would start stressing fitness instead of sluttiness or whatever they're on about at the moment, their sheepish fans might just follow.
I also think that another reform the public school system should try is making PE into an actual productive class period and not such a joke.

And again, the solutions for everything: Good parenting and individual choice to improve.
Mistelten
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Shortyafter » Thu Feb 17, 2005 4:37 am

Some PE classes have already done just that, they actually have excercise equipment such as treadmills and excercise bikes. If students are given a good work-out for 8 weeks, then there body will start to need excercise for it to feel right, so they'll actually want to keep doing it. If we get that going in a young age then it should persist later in life. There's really not much the government can do about excercise after people are out of school.

Well that's the excercise part, but eating is not as easy. The government can't really force anyone to eat something, so it's totally up to the person. Some fast food resturants have stepped in to help out, notably Wendy's. They've got fruit cups, salad, milk, baked potatoes, etc. Sometimes it's not just about the food, it's about getting something quick to eat, and what better than a salad? :wink:
Shortyafter
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Mistelten » Thu Feb 17, 2005 4:54 am

I'm so glad you mentioned Wendy's. Their Chili is full of protein, and great for you. Their frosty is the best(healthwise) ice cream to go you can get.
Mistelten
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Coxix » Thu Feb 17, 2005 8:50 am

people should be responsible for what they eat and what they do to consume the energy they take everytime they eat. And perhaps try to trim on eating a lot of junkfood, since this stuff contains a lot of calories.
<a href="http://coxix.blogspot.com/">My Bunk </a>
Coxix
Scholar

Unread postby Mistelten » Thu Feb 17, 2005 2:53 pm

I'd be more on the lookout for things like saturated fats and 'hidden' fatteners that are in everything(like corn syrup). Calories and carbs are essential to our lives. Well, maybe not in today's world of deskwork and suppliments, but I prefer to stick to natural foods first(as opposed to supplemental diets that require you to spend ridiculous amounts on specific items).
Mistelten
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Xiao Gui » Thu Feb 17, 2005 7:37 pm

People have to take charge of their own health.

Eat well, get some exercise, get a good amount of sleep, and stop blaming their problems on McDonalds.

That got me thinking... The number two killer in US is heart diease and US has one of the fatest country in the world (Canada is pretty high up there as well). Does this mean Americans are the most unhealthy and laziest people in the world? I think not. Perhapes there maybe other reasons.

Blaming things on an individualistic level, you can never really get to the bottom of a national problem. When there is a social problem, it would be more wise to look for social factors that causes it.

Here is somewhere we can take this discussion:
1. I don't have this stats: who are the "fat" people in America? Race, gender, social class, etc etc etc...
2. I notice that my weight tend to go up a lot when I eat out frequently or eat other fast food such as instant noodle, craft dinner. Why is that? Who tend to eat out more and why? Who can afford the time and money to cook nutriential and healthy meals three times a day?
"...pia fraus, the heritage of all those who have 'improved' mankind....ever doubted their right to tell lies. Nor did the doubt their posession of other rights..."
Xiao Gui
Cannibalistic Kitten

Unread postby Lucifer » Thu Feb 17, 2005 7:50 pm

Xiao Gui wrote:That got me thinking... The number two killer in US is heart diease and US has one of the fatest country in the world (Canada is pretty high up there as well). Does this mean Americans are the most unhealthy and laziest people in the world? I think not. Perhapes there maybe other reasons.

Correctamundo (I hate that word, why am I using it?). Stress is a major cause of illness- including heart disease. It's not about the fat, necessarily, it's about how many stressors Americans deal with on a day to day basis and how they cope with them.
Lucifer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Next

Return to Current Affairs