UK Politics 2020-Cummings lockdown scandal

Discuss events that have an impact on you and the world today. A home for honest, serious, and open discussion.

Re: UK Politics 2020-Boris out of hospital

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sat May 23, 2020 4:56 pm

So tempted to say government says ignore lock-down given government's handling of the Cummings scandal but fear that would be wrong
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Re: UK Politics 2020-Cummings lockdown scandal

Unread postby Sun Fin » Sat May 23, 2020 5:19 pm

That's absolutely the message the treatment of Cummings is communicating. However its irresponsible of them to do that, and so your right, it would also be irresponsible of us to promote doing so too. We've gotta be the bigger people than our government...
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand and my tumblr to see if I have reviewed it!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sat May 23, 2020 5:50 pm

Sorry, that was an attempt at despairing humour rather then a serious suggestion

It is such a bad message on so many levels. Are people who obeyed the rules bad parents? Is the Attorney General saying Durham police are politicising the story and are those saying the police were not involved saying Durham police lied? Lockdown was struggling to be held, government has just blown it apart.
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Mon May 25, 2020 6:50 am

The longer the Cumming's stuff rolls on the angrier I'm becoming about it. Its the defence that he was being a responsible father implying all those who obeyed the rules were irresponsible. Any minister who has defended him on those terms has already lost any integrity that they had. He needs to be fired and fined by the police.
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand and my tumblr to see if I have reviewed it!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Mon May 25, 2020 10:45 am

Sun Fin wrote:Its the defence that he was being a responsible father implying all those who obeyed the rules were irresponsible.

That is possibly the thing that has gone down the worst. I mean the one rule for us, another for you clearly really bad (usually the left think this has more impact then it does but in lockdown, oh it certainly matters) but it is the father defence, it leaves a sickening taste. It is that very nasty implication that your a bad child/parent/sibling/lover if you took a different path despite it being exactly what the government (and medics) told you to do, it is a cruel thing to do to those mourning. Even if one goes "they didn't mean it like that", it is still a dagger to the heart and soul for those who will know feel their staying back was all for nothing.

All stories blow over/run out of steam and to some extent this will but I don't think this will be forgotten by many many many many people. This will hang like a cloud over Boris regime for a long long time

Sun Fin wrote:He needs to be fired and fined by the police.

There are times where a government needs to take a stand against the police though it will cost them dear. Other times it is an act of utter stupidity, I suspect questioning the honesty of the Durham police a few days ago may come back to bite government.
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Previous

Return to Current Affairs