UK Politics

Discuss events that have an impact on you and the world today. A home for honest, serious, and open discussion.

Re: UK Politics

Unread postby Sun Fin » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:03 am

Good article, makes some good points. However he puts all the blame purely on "the right". I'm sorry but the Corbynista's are just as guilty of using violent and inflammatory language that has long crossed the line.
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:23 pm

Sun Fin wrote:

Good article, makes some good points. However he puts all the blame purely on "the right". I'm sorry but the Corbynista's are just as guilty of using violent and inflammatory language that has long crossed the line.

In fairness to him, he is a Tory I believe and he tends to concentrate on his own side more with this sort of thing.

-DWP Committee looking at railway pensions black hole

-Papers weep for Notre Dame

-Speaker of the US House of Representatives Nancy Pelosi warns no chance of trade deal with UK if Brexit damages Good Friday agreement

- Hunt says absolute priority to complete Brexit deal before MEP elections and though Labour talks have been very constructive if that fails they will have to try DUP again, admits indecision is harming our standing but hopes Japan would roll over EU trade deal to UK even if no deal with EU (signs are not promising), not happy at Begum getting legal aid but is right decision.

-Number 10 says walking holiday will not lead to election

-Corbyn says Begum has every right to seek legal aid and is an important principle in justice system

-Scottish Human Rights Commission wants right to food

-Unemployment remains at 44 year low of 3.9% and employment joint record high of 76.1%, pay up 3.5% (3.4% without bonus but real pay only 1.5%)

-Corbyn and Leadsom says Norte Dam reminds of need for Westminster to finally get work done

=====

-Toynbee sees MEP elections as big moment for Remain

-Lammy's comments have proved divisive, Sunny Hundal backs Lammy while against (sun) Brendan O'Neill says insult to those that were killed by Nazi's

-Gracie Bradley lessons not learnt from Windrush
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Sun Fin » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:09 am

Dong Zhou wrote:
Sun Fin wrote:

In fairness to him, he is a Tory I believe and he tends to concentrate on his own side more with this sort of thing.

Ah I didn't realise that. He writes for the guardian so I had certain expectations :lol:. In which case fair enough!

Dong Zhou wrote:-Corbyn and Leadsom says Norte Dam reminds of need for Westminster to finally get work done

Hopefully this will be the spur needed. The public have been opposed to it due to financial situation but can you image the backlash if a Notre-Dame style event did happen? Hopefully this is a reminder that it's not a purely academic issue. Might be able to piggyback onto the Notre-Dame fundraising to get funds to renovate Westminster so it doesn't all come out of the public purse too?

I keep reading statistics about the number of Brexiteers who have changed their minds etc, but I don't know a single one. Of course it is anecdotal but it does make me deeply suspicious of the optimism that the Remain campaign seems imbued with.
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:57 pm

The problem is that by time various stages are gone through, Notre Dam will off the British minds and it will be back to media complaining about the excess, complaints of the public, MP's getting nervy. I think it will happen but not without considerable delay and fightback

I keep reading statistics about the number of Brexiteers who have changed their minds etc, but I don't know a single one. Of course it is anecdotal but it does make me deeply suspicious of the optimism that the Remain campaign seems imbued with.

I know a few and a few more that "forgot" they vote Brexit but those I wouldn't automatically say would switch to remain. In terms of polling, as I understand there has been a switch towards Remain but not "and Remain would win" swing, more it would be even tighter defeat, and there aren't public support for rerun of referendum or outright cancelling.

====

-Papers on Notre Dam and fears that Palace of Westminster is extremely vulnerable

-ChangeUK now formerly a party though logo has been rejected, aren't allowed to run for local elections this time but can for MEP elections

-Burgeon says he regrets saying Zionism is the enemy of peace (full quote "The enemy of the Palestinian people is not the Jewish people. The enemy of the Palestinian people are Zionists, and Zionism is the enemy of peace and the enemy of the Palestinian people.") back in 2014 before being elected, he initially denied it back in 2016 but now footage has emerged. Anger seems as much about the long denial as the comment

-Tusk says UK will take part in MEP elections and UK MEP's could be there for months with full rights and say while EU should not give in to some scaremongering about UK MEP's will do as they have always been cooperative, Verhofstadt says six months was a bad choice of delay and fears UK MEP elections could poison EU parliament, Germany's foreign minister Heiko Maas warns there will be no extension beyond October. Rudd says finding Brexit deal is harder then people thought and May right to try something different

-Rudd doesn't rule out running for leadership but doesn't plan it

-Labour would scrap Sats which got Corbyn a standing ovation from a local teachers union

-Inflation holds at 1.9%

====

McFadden fearsMay has created some of the anger

-Bryant says he will stand for Speaker role once Bercow steps down, saying MP's need some tender care to heal wounds of Brexit, would use Speaker's House to host international guests and do events for MP families. De Peiro and Nicky Morgan want a female speaker

====

-Stanley Johnson feels new British MEP's could get Withrawal Agreement reopened (no words on pigs and flying)

-Frank Younge concerned about no fault divorce plans

-Patrick Vernon on Windrush

-Lewis Goodall rejuvenated Farage is playing game far more effectively then Remainers
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:42 pm

-Papers not happy with climate change protestors disruption, Times notes Farage's Brexit party leads two MEP polls

-Sorry for the Corbyn family that climate change protestors changed themselves to his name and did other disruptive things. Gove (not referring to Corbyn's house) says some of the action was over the top but their cuase is legitimate and government is listening

-Culture department reveals journalists email addresses in email about age verification (a subject of which there is concern about data leaks)

-Blunt seeking to axe Speaker due to Brexit bias. Probably not the wisest way to try to oust Bercow

-Irish government to offer to fund EHC for N.Ireland citizens

-Retail sales up 1.1% in March (had been expected to fall)

====

-MSP candidate Neil Findley on Scottish Labour would change things

-Rosindell accuses police of surrendering to the climate change protestors and giving them the streets

-Wings Over Scotland blogger Stuart Campbell fails in defamation suit against Dugdale, judge says Dudgale was wrong to call Campbell homophobic but Campbell is more then willing to use insults himself so can't complain when others do.

====

-Timothy Garton Ash tries to rally Remainers for MEP elections

-Ed Hall leaves Tory party

-Jayne McCormack on damaged relations between N.Ireland unionists and Ireland
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:24 pm

-Concern at rise of credit card defaults to 22.9% in the first quarter from 12.7%

-Public Accounts Committee unhappy at ministers relaxed attitude on delayed Crossrail and the costs

-Papers on climate change protestor chaos with a sense police have lost control

-Javid calls for firm stance against climate change protests by police

-Facebook bans British National Party and Nick Griffin, the English Defence League and the National Front among others while Cooper wonders what took them so long and can only be a first step

-Carl Benjamin refuses to apologize for rape comments to Jess Philips and says media is smearing him, UKIP Swindon have asked him to stand down as their region's MEP candidate. Jess Philips remarks "Carl Benjamin will forever have whatever career he has defined by me, he will hear my name wherever he goes."His whole political life defined by little feminist Jess, that my friends is comedy."

-Jarod Kirkman jailed for 42 weeks

-Martin Selmayr, secretary-general of the European Commission, warned MEP's in 2018 that no deal means hard border and due to impact it would have on Ireland, they needed to do everything to avoid it

===

-Athian Ake knife crime due to austerity rather then black culture

-Younge Tory MP's, media and leadership have wrong attitude to it's members

-Aditya Chakrabortty excited at protest of Jamie Driscoll becoming Newcastle mayor

-Olive Wiseman says Europe has four political tribes among voters
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:26 pm

-Press on journalist Lyra McKee being murdered (seemingly by republican dissidents who claim it was an accident because firing guns is a safe activity) during Londonderry riots, summer heating up, Telegraph saying ministers are trying to get Bercow to allow Trump to address both houses of parliament for sake of relations with US

-Derbyshire Tory party, as explained by council leader Barry Lewis refusing to support MEP elections.

-Marina Hyde Remain are messing their chances up
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:52 pm

-Anne Milton says, as apprentices minister, they will have to rethink how to measure targets on it as set to miss target

-Watson article about Labour failing to offer referendum is aiding Farae has got a lot of attention. Farage says referendum would be total insult to voters and will tackle Labour lies in weeks ahead, Watson responds "He offers divisive opposition not responsible leadership. He changed his position on how we leave the EU. He still can't explain where his chum Aaron Banks got the cash for the biggest ever political donation. I will take no lessons in lies and dishonesty from Nigel Farage."

-Mail on Sunday says 40% of Tory councillors polled will vote Brexit party and three quarters want May to go, Sunday Telegraph says Tory activists oppose HS2 and would back someone who promised to scrap it

-Javid on tackling crime

-May says UK must fight for people's right to freely and safely worship including Christian across world, Corbyn focuses on Jesus being a refugee and attacks government failure to obey Dubs amendment+Javid for using navy on refugee crises.

====

-Rentoul May is trapped and Corbyn will likely be in PM within next few years

-Nick Cohen bemoans lack of leadership among Remainers
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:05 pm

-Papers on the Sri Lanka attacks

-Baroness Lawrence on first Stephen Lawrence day

-Thornberry warns backing deal with PM without public vote would breach party policy- Morgan bemoans MP's fighting proxy battles rather then solving issues, backstop is solvable

-D'Ancona senses a generational change represented by climate change protests
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:20 pm

-Papers on Sri Lanka, independent says Tory MP's seeking to block Boris from leadership. I'm getting the strong impression some of Tory press and their columnists are trying to oust May

-Hancock pledges to end ban non-disclosure agreements in NHS

-Trump to have a state visit on June 3-5, attempts to tie this in with D-day memorials doesn't seem to have stopped opposition from other parties with 50 MP's setting out early day motion objecting

-Sturgeon to make major statement tomorrow on Brexit and independence referendum to Hollyrood, number 10 says Labour aren't going as fast on Brexit talks as they want though Labour's attitude has been serious and constructive, Labour says May is just repeating the same old things.

-Lord Bates resigns as Dfid minister, not clear why, Cameron's former aide Baroness Sugg moves over from transport and whip Baroness Vere goes to transport.

-1922 open discussions over changing leadership rules so May can be ousted turning into row as turns out some aren't happy with "we botched coup first time, we demand a second referendum... I mean coup" as good reason such rules are there.

-Christopher Davies found guilty of submitting fake expenses invoices, not jailed but fined with community service and faces recall peition

====

-Evans says May's handling of Brexit has been frustrating and time for fresh leadership. Lord Adonis only Labour can defeat Farage and running for MEP, Jenny Chapman admits she doesn't think she has ever read an MEP election manifesto

-Farage says they are really going for Labour vote, Brexit party won't do policy discussions till after MEP elections and better thy do the less chance of MEP elections, points out most known Tory ladership candidates signed up to withdrawal agreement at some point

-Heidi Allen says her party is unlikely to vote no confidence in May as they don't think now is time for election, expect Labour to seize on that with their ex-MP's now being "pro Tory" for it. Greens accuse them of being one-issue and an attempted rebrand by politicians

-Brexit party (trying to show diverse and common touch figures) and Change.UK (lots of political figures like Stephen Dorrel, Neil Carmichael ) but any attention will be Rachel Johnson for Change.UK given Westminster bubble and the Boris thing

===

-Tom Peck inept ERG already wasting breathing space EU gave us

-Ross Clark (sun) May must go

-Edward Davies social justice must be the priority for next Tory leader

-Sabrina Huck says labour need to be more involved at grass-root social campaigns

-BBC reality checks council cuts

-Hinsliff on why Boris worries some Tory MP's
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

PreviousNext

Return to Current Affairs