UK Politics

Discuss events that have an impact on you and the world today. A home for honest, serious, and open discussion.

Re: UK Politics

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:54 pm

-UK has taken part in strikes on Syria. May says Russia has closed off non-military solutions and nobody should be surprised at what Assad did, chemical weapons can not be allowed to become the norm, strikes not about regime change, Williamson says strikes were military successful and was about sending message on chemical weapons. Sturgeon says Syria strikes should have been decided by parliament rather then Trump, May needs to explain how this will stop Assad from doing it again and she worries it will escalate tensions. Corbyn says airstrikes were legally questionable and risk escalating things while making gathering evidence harder, UK taking instructions from Washington, should push for investigation in UN.

Later May says they are confident strikes were successful in degrading Assad's ability to use chemical weapons in future, have tried diplomacy with Syria and others and will keep trying, strikes have helped defend international order and were legal. DUP backed May, Sir Cable says parliament should have been recalled and failure to do so has undermined the integrity of the strikes. Corbyn says UK should act as the honest broker in the UN to get agreement between USA and Russia (I think I spot a flaw in that plan), bombing could have hurt civilians and should have waited for the weapon inspectors to do their work and he thinks the strikes were illegal. Ruth Davidson then backed May, Corbyn then asks for May to publish legal advice she got and she should have consulted with Parliament rather then Trump and take diplomatic lead. Government then published a summary of the legal advice

-Abbott (before strikes happen) seems unsure if Russia or USA currently bigger threat to world peace but decides on Russia, doesn't really have answer to there has been no investigation into Syria chemical weapons due to Russia vetoing it so what to do about that (having dodged around why no investigation), how Assad should be punished she can't answer, strikes without parliament would show May was afraid she would lose the vote. That to give up on political solution to Syria is to give up all hope, interventions end up open ended like it did in Afghanistan

-UN's secretary general Antonio Guterres bemoans return of cold war

-Government release figures behind Raab's claims that immigration led to 21% house price rise, Labour accuse him of shifting blame while the modelling seems out of date and wasn't meant to be taken as a clear insight

-More claims of Vote Leave breaking spending rules have been published

-Labour refer Hunt to expenses watchdog though Cabinet Office and Company House unconcerned at the error

-Thornberry says May should apologize as PM for UK's past failure with its colonies at next Commonwealth summit (funnily enough she mostly seems to concentrate on Thatcher rather then longer standing issues) and change stance on the Chagas Islands

-D'Arcy's busy and chaotic week ahead

====

-I think I'm going to get very sick of the "Trump puppet" lines very quickly

-Cameron backs strikes

-Baroness Jones says May's comments are nonsense, things may well escalate and Syrian civilians will suffer, Caroline Lucas says these strikes do nothing to help bring peace with things like "stronger sanctions, more peace building, end arms sales to Saudi Arabia etc" would help

-Lansmann says when Corbyn was sent to fight leadership election, he said "you’d better make bleeping sure I don’t get elected"

-Scottish Labour leader Richard Leonard says strikers dangerously escalate the war, lacked parliamentary or UN support, poltical avenues had not been exhuasted and May was rushed into "legally, morally and democratically questionable air strikes at the behest of Donald Trump"

=====

-Freedland says no good option in Syria though has a proposal of his own

-Hinsliff tackling parenting key in education

-Bush argues against airing Powell's speech

-Forysth (sun) on purpose of Syrian strikes, opposes being in custom unions, argument between Barwell and Julian Smith
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:36 pm

-Some in cabinet wanted Parliament vote on Syria strikes and there is a sense in media May has badly erred

-Corbyn says if chemical inspectors report who was behind the attacks in Syria, the UK should confront said faction with the evidence and ask them to dismantle their chemical weapons. Says humanitarian intervention is legally dubious reason for intervening, wouldn't military intervene in Syria without UN support, Lavrov claims of UK being behind chemical attacks needs to be either backed up or withdrawn, seems unconvinced Russia is behind the spy attack and disagrees with McDonald's comments that is was a state attack, wants chemical agency to have powers to investigate who is behind an attack. UK was immoral and brutal on Chagas Islands, is a fan of Commonwealth and suggests a Commonwealth Education program, Commonwealth should be allowed to decide it's next head is.

-UKIP choose Gerard Batten for leader unopposed but he will resign in 12 months so full contest can happen. Says UKIP are the only real opposition and needed more then ever

-Lord Adonis not a fan of Syria strikes

-Chris Heaton-Harris tweet “A bad workman blames his fools. I meant tools. Stupid phone.”

-Frank Field denies Philip Green's claims that Field's public protests caused delays of Green being able to pay on pensions

====

-Professor Marc Weller looks into legality of Syria strikes

-Rentoul on history since WW2 of who decides military action and why May didn't go to parliament
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:13 am

Has anyone been following the Hither Green burglary case? The situation just keeps escalating.

Two people attempted to burgle the house of an elderly couple, apparently as part of an ongoing crime spree targeting the elderly. The wife had dementia and according to what I've read the husband stabbed one of his attackers when threatened with a screwdriver. The stabbed burglar died form his injuries after being abandoned by his accomplice who has fled into the night.

The pensioner was then arrested for murder before being released with no further action being taken. That should have been the end of it. However his family, obviously in mourning wanted to lay flowers to remember him. But provocatively they decided to do so outside the house of the attempted burglary, often infringing on other local residents rights by attaching them to their walls, fences and hedges. This has provoked vigilantes into ripping the flowers down only for them to have been restored several times. Meanwhile the elderly couple have been moved into protective custody as they have faced ongoing death threats. The family of the man who died are meanwhile saying that the reaction of the police, media dn locals is racist and they are being discriminated against because they are a traveler family.

The situation seemed to burn out a little but now its escalated again over three issues:

1) The police, on the local council's instructions, directed another party of mourners on Sunday (the dead man's birthday) further down the road to a lamp post where a kind of formal shrine has been set up, to the outrage of the residents who were friendly with the burglary victim.

2) Rumours that the funeral of the deceased burglar is going to cost an extravagant £100,000 and will include a march down the street of his death. Too which many locals have threatened to hijack and attack.

3) Most of the vigilantes who have attacked the flowers have masked their identity. One however has been loud and proud in his attacks on the travelling community. Supposedly he was visited by the police last night (the police have refused to confirm or deny this) who informed him that he was the victim of death threats, they suggested he moved and said they were unable to protect him.

It's an awful situation. I do have sympathy for the family of the man who died, death is always tragic and it is always awful to lose someone. It is important too see that for those mourning their relationship and image of him isn't one of a criminal, it is as a father, husband and son. I'm sure we all have a friend who has done awful things, seriously hurt others, but we still care deeply about. However the family also need to realise that he died committing a crime and most people won't have sympathy with him or by extension them. I think they've handled the situation completely inappropriately with the flowers. Meanwhile it is a disgrace that the original victim has had to go in to hiding for his own safety. How might this affect his seriously ill wife? The police are also between a rock and a hard place and I don't know if any action they could have taken would have been able to diffuse the situation.
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:30 pm

Very vaguely followed. I felt sorry for the CPS who get flak for investigating a dead body by the press who seemed unaware that the allowance to defend your home doesn't mean one doesn't get investigated.

The family has every right to mourn, nobody should condemn them or try to stop them having a funeral, mourning their loved on, whatever the crime. An extravagant funeral? Fine with me. However they don't have a right to mourn any way they want, they should show even the slightest bit of discretion and tact out of considerations for others. Using another person's home (even without the circumstances) for mourning is invading their home. A big funeral down the street of his death under circumstances? Your rights to being an adult should be revoked and you sent back to start of school. Death threats? They should face the full force of the law.
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:43 pm

Dong Zhou wrote:Very vaguely followed. I felt sorry for the CPS who get flak for investigating a dead body by the press who seemed unaware that the allowance to defend your home doesn't mean one doesn't get investigated.

The family has every right to mourn, nobody should condemn them or try to stop them having a funeral, mourning their loved on, whatever the crime. An extravagant funeral? Fine with me. However they don't have a right to mourn any way they want, they should show even the slightest bit of discretion and tact out of considerations for others. Using another person's home (even without the circumstances) for mourning is invading their home. A big funeral down the street of his death under circumstances? Your rights to being an adult should be revoked and you sent back to start of school. Death threats? They should face the full force of the law.

Agree with all of the above. Can you imagine the (justified) outrage from the travelling community if the home owner hadn't been investigated at all? That no charges were pressed was in my opinion the right choice but they had to show that they'd considered it at least!
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:54 pm

Sun Fin wrote:
Agree with all of the above. Can you imagine the (justified) outrage from the travelling community if the home owner hadn't been investigated at all? That no charges were pressed was in my opinion the right choice but they had to show that they'd considered it at least!

Indeed.

It does seem like the press reaction to cases like this is "white guy kills someone in their own home? Well I'm sure whatever he says is true, how dare the police not give a salute and a thank you for sterling work." The police rightly can't just take the white guys word that it was self defence and just leave it there, they have to dig, you can see how people would (and have) abused the self defence rule if this thing went unchecked. I'm sure it was horrible for the man concerned being questioned and the doubt hanging over him but I'm not sure there is any way a fair justice system can do it in a way that isn't going to be horrible.

Press should report the case and leave off campaigning till the guy is charged or the wait has got too long
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:32 pm

-Papers expect major Russia cyberware response, intelligence authorities have given out a warning

-May (sun) explains Syria strikes, Corbyn sets out his opposition and his Syria alternative

During the parliament debate (May was on feet for over three hours before the next two big debates... she has to be a part of), May says reports of the chemical attack could not be falsified on sheer scale but suspects Russia is now trying to cover it up, the attack was a saint on all our humanity, Syrian opposition don't have helicopters required, Corbyn's strategy allows Russia a veto and 2013 failure to get Assad to lose his chemical weapons shows Corbyn strategy won't work, intervened before chemical weapons inspectors had finished to prevent further chemical attacks and she suspects Assad/Russia will seek to hamper investigations anyway. Says she acted as right thing to do rather then Trump, says she didn't recall parliament as speed was key+intellignece that couldn't be shared and she knew parliament would hold her accountable afterwards, needs to be wider diplomatic effort on chemical weapons and welcomes EU considering more sanctions on Syria. She also epic eyerolled when Corbyn says her duty is to parliament rather then whims of Trump, moves herself away from Morduant's position while refusing to rule out striking first again

Corbyn pushes for war act (backed by Blackford), argues we should drop alliance with Saudi Arabia due to their actions in Yemen, we should put pressure on Russia and Syria to allow chemical inspectors to do their jobs (May says it is too late for that, hampering already started), some chemical weapons were destroyed so UN's 2013 demand did work. Sir Cable says he is sorry she didn't go to parliament since her arguments are compelling

-Corbyn backs a One Yorkshire devolution deal, wants an act to make Parliament sovereign on matters of war

-Boris says strikes showed Assad enough was enough on chemical weapons but admits it won't change the tide of the war, finds Corbyn's attitude on Skirpil case extraordinary and perplexing

-Brandon Lewis says Corbyn is failing to recognize Russia vetoes any UN action on Syria

-Baroness Chakrabarti says government legal case on Syria strikes doesn't add up and suspects May didn't consult parliament for fear of losing vote while Tom Watson (odd choice but apparently he sought the advice) released Professor Akande's arguments that strikes were illegal. Sturgeon feels the legal argument on Syria airstrikes seems thin and says Western leaders just trying to feel they can do something, of Trump vs Putin and UK shouldn't have got involved, Sir Cable says he doesn't question legality of strikes but should have come to Parliament, Blackford says based on security briefing he believes Assad was behind chemical attacks but should have waited for investigation and sought parliament's approval

-Police looking at Chris Davies 2016 election spend, he has paid back money to watchdog and apologized for mistake of claiming for furniture and pictures for his constituency office

-Mordaunt argues making parliament sovereign on air strikes is morally wrong as MP's don't have full intelligence, however she backs "if boots on ground or sustained campaign"

-Home Office getting hammered from all sides in media (when the Mail is defending immigrants...) and parliament for it's handling of the Windrush generation's immigration status. Even Javid has expressed his deep concern and May+Rudd saying they will meet Caribbean leaders who have been raising the alarm, I doubt immigration minister Caroline Noakes admitting some got deported in error is going to help Home Office (why can't whoever is behind a wrongful deportation be deported) though Rudd says she is unaware of any such cases. Noakes promises to simplify the process, she and Rudd apologize with the home office setting up a new taskforce to try to sort claims within two weeks, fees will be waived, Rudd admits some of Home Office get too focused on policy and lose sight of individuals.

-Pound rallies to extent only seen once before since referendum

-Bercow takes unusual step in publishing open letter explaining to May why he picked McGovern's call for Syria emergency debate and not May's proposed call for Syria emergency debate while remarking he would have been happy to recall Parliament

===

-Grieve calls government's legal argument for Syria strike as debatable

-Lord Hague says parliament doesn't need to be consulted for one off airstrikes. His wish for a war act has been cited many times by those unhappy with government over Syria so boost for May

-Lammy says those wrongly deported should be compensated, returned to their homes and given a personal apology by May, calls the news of wrongful deportations a day of national shame

-Soubry wonders how EU migrants should feel given what has happened with the Windrush generation

-Ken Clarke says he opposed Iraq but backs strikes and says it shows May is a real Prime Minister but she should have come to Parliament first

-Sir Grieve cheered when he warns the implication of Corbyn's UN policy is any tyrant with a ally on security council could use chemical weapons with impunity since veto would ensure UN did nothing, Mike Gapes cheered as he recalled Labour's history of humanitarian intervention in Kosovo and Sierra Leone

-Jess Philips says she would have backed strikes but calls on both sides to show more respect for each other's views

-Russell-Moyle says he will bring down government and stop foreign intervention

-I'm not sure Stop the War has been helped by a few people saying Assad is a good man including one saying "he is a doctor for heavens sake"

====

-John Harris on special needs education

-Toynbee feels May will pay for the strikes

-Anoosh Chakelian on Remainers confused message

-Dulcie Lee questions government plan for EU migrants

-Patrick Cockborn argues strike shows West's weakness

-Colin Yeo argues not going to be easy for May or Home Office to end the Windrush problem
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:00 pm

-Bercow grants emergency debate, on Corbyn's request, about power for going to war. SNP forces vote on if Syria had been debated enough, Labour abstain and government easily win that, Corbyn during the debate itself given an unusual level of barracking with Shelbrooke put on final warning, May says parliament debate would have risked more missiles being shot down and chemical facilities moved and a war act can't be drafted with enough flexibility for all events+makes such strikes and small scale operations are near impossible. Labour whips struggled to work out which side of the motion they were supposed to send their MP's too apparently (they were meant to vote against), government strolled to victory with many in Labour abstaining

-McVey says "rape clause" could help those who need help to get it with Holyrood committee session suspended twice due to audience

-Reality Check on how often Russia vetoes Syrian based UN resolutions

-Osamor on Windrush scandal

-May promises £212 million for Commonwealth girls education, calling for Commonwealth to agree goals on education and malaria, denies stories that only pro-strike MP's got security briefing

-The year long pay squeeze seems at an end as wages rose by 2.8% over inflation of 2.7%, unemployment at 42 year low of 4.2% and employment at highest on record. IMF upgrades growth forcast by 01% to 1.6% but warns we will still lag behind Eurozone

- Baroness Chakrabarti says Labour has a serious anti-Semitism problem but Labour HQ does have resources needed, the confusion between anti-Semitism tropes and anti-Semitism needs to stop (as in needs to stop veering into)

-For every UK missile fired on recent strikes, Commons would have had an hours debate over two days

-Damian Collins alarmed by Leave.EU/SCL figures allegedly praising Nazi propaganda techniques (Banks calls this bollocks, fake news from whining losers while communications director Andrew Wigmore demands right to defence in front of culture committee though calling Collins an absolute liar and "anti-Brexit fool" may not be best way to approach a committee chair)

-UK government taking Hollyrood and Welsh Assembly Brexit bills to court

-Welsh government taking legal action to block debate into Sergeant's death

====

-Not sure Double has done himself any favours by thanking May of lifting responsibility of deciding on strikes from him (I see what he is saying about making decision on partial information but...)

-Laura Smith's attempts to portray May as Trump's puppet did not go down well

-Lammy powerful on Windrush

-Neil Hamilton says Enoch Powell was proved right, being hammered in Wales for this

-Carla Lockhurt calls for social media to do more after abuse

-Caroline Lucas says latest whistle-blowing into Leave.EU calls into question the fairness of Brexit referendum

-Robin Cook's special adviser David Clark remarks Labour using Cook toi demand war vote while calling him a war criminal

-Some Tories worry a war act could lead to judicial reviews and legal challenges to decision to go to war

-Rees-Mogg says would have been more appropriate for Labour to call vote of confidence rather then Syria debate vote

-Farage declares chemical attacks could be by deep state to provoke war with Russia, left-wing wish to ally with Islamists because they hate Christianity and EU is prototype of new world order

====

-Kuessenberg on if May has backing of MP's on Syria

-Dawn Butler on fire regulations

-Hinsliff on Syria debate and not sure on May's general policy on war
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:27 pm

Anti-Semitism debate Javid opens anti-Semitism debate by remarking to Corbyn "I thank the leader of the opposition for attending this debate. It won’t perhaps be the most comfortable three hours of debate that he has sat in on, but he makes the most of it and his effort is appreciated for attending. There has, frankly, been a deeply worrying lack of leadership and moral clarity on this issue from him. Being here to listen to what is being said by his concerned colleagues and others is an important step in showing the community that this issue is being taken seriously and I sincerely hope that he takes the opportunity to once and for all clarify his position on anti-Semitism." (Corbyn left part way through the debate which may undermine any goodwill he gets for turning up.) Gwynne makes clear anyone who thinks there isn't a problem on the left isn't living in the real world and anyone saying there isn't a problem in Labour is not speaking for party, refuses to say Livingstone should be expelled but case needs to be hurried . Abbott closed up for Labour, thanking the powerful speeches and saying she considers fighting anti-Semitism as fighting racism and raises concerns of her local Jewish community who feel targeted though initial failure to give way to Alex Sobel (who has been told in past "“Why is this Jewish Zio-Nazi speaking in the English parliament?”) earnt ill-will as did failure to condemn abuse aimed at Sobel, admits party has been too slow on the matter and MP's had every right to join the anti-Semitism demonstration, hints she isn't 100% of Tory MP's motives on this debate, calling Corbyn an anti-semite doesn't help, social media companies need to do more. Rudd says Commons has delivered a strong message to Corbyn that action must be taken

Three standing ovations: Luiciana Berger given a sustained standing ovation by Commons as she spoke of the abuse she had got starting at the age of 19 and admits she worries her mental health may not be able to hold out, speaks of the corrosive and common place anti-Semitism is her own party and that she has been threatened with deselection for speaking up about the mural, been called an operative of Israel and a Judas, calls for Livingstone to be expelled. Finishes with the words of the Chief Rabbi ‘An assault upon Jews is an assault upon difference and a world that has no room for difference has no room for humanity itself’. Ruth Smeeth also given an ovation, reading out abuse she has received
probably not safe for work
“Hang yourself you vile treacherous Zionist Tory filth. You are a cancer of humanity.”

“Ruth Smeeth is a Zionist—she has no shame—and trades on the murder of Jews by Hitler—whom the Zionists betrayed.”

“Ruth Smeeth must surely be travelling 1st class to Tel Aviv with all that slush. After all, she’s complicit in trying to bring Corbyn down.”

“First job for Jeremy Corbyn tomorrow—expel the Zionist BICOM smear hag bitch Ruth Smeeth from the Party.”

“This Ruth Smeeth bitch is Britainophobic, we need to cleanse our nation of these types.”

“#JC4PM Deselect Ruth Smeeth ASAP. Poke the pig—get all Zionist child killer scum out of Labour.”

“You are a spy! You are evil, satanic! Leave! #Labour #Corbyn.”

“Ruth you are a Zionist plant, I’m ashamed you are in Labour. Better suited to the murderous Knesset! #I Support Ken.”

“Your fellow traitor Tony Blair abolished hanging for treason. Your kind need to leave before we bring it back #Smeeth Is Filth.”

The gallows would be a fine and fitting place for this dyke piece of Yid shit to swing from.”.
, joining an anti-Semitism protest against her own party was heartbreaking as is seeing it being downplayed in some quarters and that for every comment like the above she gets, she gets another 10 dismissing it or claiming she is weaponnizing the issue but says Jewish MP's will not back down "I stand here today to say that we will not be bullied out of political engagement, we are going nowhere and we stand and will keep fighting until the evils of anti-Semitism have been removed from our society.". Dame Hodge applauded as she warns she has never been so nervous to be a Jew, it feels like her party has given permission for anti-Semitism to go unchallenged and made her an outsider. All three had family members killed in Holocaust

Mann says his wife "was sent by a Labour Marxist antisemite a dead bird through the post" and threatened with rape in a separate incident (as has been his daughter), his son opening the door to a bomb squad, Jewish MP's being targetted, he is being stopped by fellow Jews saying they are scared even of going to a Labour party meeting with him and of wider society, anti-Semitism is constant and there is a big bunch of pro Corbyn excusers. Ian Austin lays into Corbyn's record on the issue, Hoard gives gentle advice to Gwynne the need to axe Livingstone, Percy says he was called Israeli scum and person said it was inspired by Corbyn

=====

PMQ's Tories set it up so her backbench question was on Windrush which allowed May to offer an apology to the victims, they are here legally British and set out why all this happened, was heavily heckled and might have been wise for more time on apology, less on explaining. Would Corbyn's likely planned strategy be spiked? Corbyn raised a case he brought u last week that has become a big scandal and which he argues May brushed off, May denies brushing it off and Home Office have been in contact, plus solved the case while NHS should never have stopped major treatment+case was not a Windrush one. Corbyn doesn't adress this but goes onto destroying of landing cards and did May sign it off, May says actually that was done in 2009 under Labour. Normally such a trumping moment causes understandable glee but very stupid of Tory MP's to cheer that moment. Corbyn says May created hostile environment plus her 2014 immigration bill then stands to go on landing cards... quickly changes to May's past comments about not blaming officials. May points out she didn't blame officials, says she merely said the decision was before her time in Home Office but doesn't address the rest. Corbyn then tries to say "no it was in 2010" then quotes Rudd's Monday comment on Home Office, asks who is to blame for such attitudes. May calls it a great department, Rudd has been swift to respond to issue (few would agree), says it was right for her to clamp down on illegal immigration as even Labour government of time admitted was needed but Widnrus generation were legal and shouldn't be caught up. Corbyn says this isn't about illegal immigration but her hostile environment (like Go Home fans) hurting the innocent, presses on confusion on if anybody has been wrongly deported and what is to be done if there has been. May says government unaware of anybody being deported but government will reach out to help the Windrush generation sort things out, is a difference between Windrush generation and illegal immigrants. Corbyn says the first case Mr Thompson says he still hasn't been told when he will get urgent treatment, asks about government record keeping and been months since issue first came up with Jamaica PM saying some can't return, his stumbling summary says shameful episode that is May's fault due to her pandering to fears, unrealistic immigration targets and hostile environment, Windrush generation have been vital to country yet hit painfully hard, she leads a heartless, callous and incompetent government. May says Windrush helped build this country, they are British and that is why they working to help, decisions in 1971 led to problems, says if she is callous why did she create the race disparity audit while she won't take it from a man who allowed anti-Semitism to run rampant.

Sometimes when everybody and their mother knows the opposition has to go on a subject, it is difficult as any PM and team prep very hard. Corbyn's opening two shots were skewered below the waterline by May and never recovered (by time he discovered about Mr Thompson still having problems it was too late), he could still have built case on wider issues around Home Office or how long it had taken for government to respond, or that an apology isn't going to bring back finances and jobs. He started to do that somewhat near end but he also allowed May to point that there is a difference between Windrush and measures he is complaining about which is about illegal immigration. It was a good session for May, she had scuppered Corbyn's advance, managed to make arguments against some of the more common attacks on her record and the "actually was 2009" moment will create confusion. Yorkshire Post's Arj Singh "Corbyn has missed an open goal, turned around, run the length of the pitch and put it in his own net" and press in disbelief May managed to win that

Blackford goes on "rape clause" and wonders if May agrees with McVey on if to provides double assurance, May gets a calm, kindly tone as she sets out defence of the idea and how it can be used to help rape victims, Blackford says that wasn't what McVey was saying. Cites rape crises and other charities complaints about forcing people to disclose their suffering before they are ready, May says they have taken every care to be as sensitive as possible and consulted extensively

====

-Lords demand government explore possibility of a customs union y a majority of 123 in front of the watching Starmer. Lord Kerr had carefully worded it to be fairly soft but 24 rebels and the sheer scale of the majority will be awkward for May's government

-Suspended Cambridge Analytica head Alexander Nix refusing to appear before Culture Committee due to current investigation, culture committee indicate they may issue a formal summons

-May apologises to 12 Caribbean heads and promises none of the Windrush generation will be deported. May and Rudd's allies seem to be blaming the other one for the problem while Home Office destroyed their landing cards (which was widely thought to be in 2010 under May, now thoughts are in 2009 by Border Force), Labour are calling for Rudd to go

-Government reviewing it's long term emissions target
-Carwyn Jones cleared by independent inquiry of misleading Assembly over sacking Sergent

-Abbott blames Tories for Windrush scandal. May's attitude in Home Office is under a lot of scrutiny right now

-May apologises for UK leaving colony's anti-homosexuality legislation (Boris has promised to raise this as well) and wants them to work on cyber security

-Caroline Noakes office shut down but now reopened after package of suspicious (but thankfully harmless) substance

-Home Affairs Select Committee summon Rudd over Windrush

-Macron says he wants UK close after Brexit but no cherry picking

-Smeeth working with police to help identity those giving her abuse on social media

-Inflation hits a year low of 2.5% which is leading to some wondering if the Bank of England will keep rates steady rather then the previously expected hike

-Ofcom launches seven investigations into Russia Today, says it's impartiality has deteriorated since events in Salisbury and it seems like "audience tweets" for Salmond were fake

-Former MP for Gow Byron Davies given apology and damages when it turned out that, during the election that cost him the seat, Labour activist was telling people Davies was under investigation for electoral fraud. Davies was not and Tories wondering if Remainers are going to show the same "concern" for electoral fairness over this

-Hunt under formal investigation by parliamentary authorities for that expenses error

-Sturgeon thinks Brexit talks between UK parliaments is days from ending one way or another

=====

-Cleverly did dreadful job on Tuesday's DP about Windrush scandal, Ian Lavery ditto on anti-Semitism today

-Dugdale says Labour needs to do better at accepting internal criticism is not disloyal

-Anna Turley wants a ban on energy drinks for U16's

-Steve Reed backs proposed Seni's law on mental health

-Tulip Saddiq on anti-Semitism and how Jews have helped her

-Lord Hague says war act impracticable

-Coffey welcomes Costa Cofee's recycling cups announcement

-Steve Baker doubts Lords themselves could block Brexit deal

-Kristine Hair says SNP's Brexit bill is attempt to engineer a second referendum

-Lord Patten on our trade strategy "“I don’t think that blithering on about Global Britain or pretending we havent been Global Britain for years, or repeating the Road to Mandalay whenever one is travelling, is going to make a difference to our trading opportunities, we wont do better than CU”"

====

-Kuessenberg on Windrush Home Office incompetence, attitudes of 2010 and policy to blame,

-Professor Tanja Bueltmann Windrush has worried EU citizens

-Bush says Windrush scandal goes beyond Noakes or Rudd and executive has too much power

-George Eaton on Brexiteers Commonwealth myth

-James Ball on complex Cambridge Anaylitica story

-Katya Adler EU relaxed about next stage of Brexit talks

-Paul Rentuers backs Syria strikes and says Corbyn's history on intervention vs his Syria stance is hypocritical

-Richard Angell suggests Corbyn's team use social media to address anti-Semitism among his fans

-Dr Graham Gudgin blames Dublin for Irish border issue
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:41 pm

-Lords by majority of 97 on Labour amendment protecting current EU rights with 14 rebels. The general sense is the two defeats are on amendments Brexit department can live with (all they have to do on Lord Kerrs is go "look at it, not having customs union) with Lord Callahan not putting up the most stirring fight of his life but the sheer scale will embolden those unhappy with Brexit strategy and five more days of report stage to go, there could be a lot of defeats ahead. Gove has admitted they might struggle to overturn it in Commons, backbenchers including 10 committee chairs have pushed forward a backbench debate which may be seen as an indicator of how Tory MP's will react

-Boris calling for greater stop and search

-Unilever move to Netherlands may be blocked by UK shareholders

-Government wants to ban plastic straws

-May ask Commonwealth to do more to tackle pollution

-Been noted Brexit wasn't mentioned once during PMQ's

-Guy Verhofstadt says they will need proof it will be easy for EU citizens to stay in UK after Windrush scandal

-UKIP AM's Michelle Brown appeal against suspension for racist language has failed

-Welsh Assembly decide not to force Welsh government to publish report into allegations against Jones over sacking of Sargeant

-Retail sales down more then expected at 1.2% due to Beast from the East

-Gove says Brexit has made UK one of the most immigration friendly countries in the EU according to research (I don't know in comparison to EU but general attitudes on immigration do seem to have become more liberal since which would justify a claim likes of Hannan made that it isn't immigration itself but the loss of control people minded), government's attitude on immigration is positive, liberal and welcoming, praises Rudd of taking a grip on Windrush situation

-McDonnell goes to City of London says econimic failures fuelled Brexit vote, acknowledges they won't like some of the tax rises but Labour are open about it's econimic plans and there is nothing hidden, will be more interventionist in economy but City of London will be listened to, jokes he is not "a raving extremist who is about to nationalise their company and send them on a re-education course somewhere up north"

-Corbyn says he wants councils to be a major builder of homes again, housing has become investment rather then homes

-Foster says the renewable heating incentive wasn't a priority for her and she wishes she had asked more questions but had a sense of security as was working on mainland

-Migration Advisory Committee head Professor Manning expects agriculture, food manufacturing, hospitality and warehousing and possibly social care to be hit by post-Brexit immigration system

====

-Every living former cabinet secretary voted against the government on the customs union (Lords Armstrong, Butler, Wilson, Turnbull and O'Donnell)

-Remainers love the Lords results, UKIP less so. Brexit department may not be too worried about Lord Keer's, all they have to do is claim they looked at and says they refuse

-Lord Kerslake says there should be inquiry into who authorised the destruction of landing cards (Alan Johnson and Jacqui Smith bot deny authorising it), says some in Whitehall compares May's created atmosphere in Home Office towards illegal immigrants to Nazi Germany (that will go down well)

-Cameron wants a change in way aid is delivered

-Conor McGinn wants "no body, no parole" law

-Khan calls Justin Trudeau and Jacinda Ardern some of the leading feminists in the world

-Ross Thomson posing on Saddam's throne and joking about channelling his inner dictator has not gone down well with some

-Clegg says May and Cameron created a poisonous atmosphere at home office, Rudd should not take the fall for this and rails against Paul Darce's hypocrisy on the issue

-Sir Cable says the big internet companies should be broken up (example, amazon split to one offering cloud computing, one acting as a general retailer and one offering a third-party marketplace, Facebook losing WhatsApp and Instagram, Google losing Youtube), UK couldn't do it but EU Commission could as internet giants threaten democracy, a watch dog to regulate internet content with access to algorithms, consumers should be paid when their data is used. Gives a very thoughtful speech on how this came to be, why people have turned against them, the threat this all brings.

====

-Hugo Dixon muses May might be secretly pleased on customs union defeat then descends into Remainisim

-Bush on Carwyn Jones and Rudd needs to stand up to May on immgration

-Nesrine Malik rails against Tory attitude (and public but seems to ignore that part) on immigration

-Chris Ham on NS resources

-Alison Rowat says recent exposure that SNP had talked with Cambridge Anayltica should worry them

-Eaton on McDonnell trying to reassure City of London
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

PreviousNext

Return to Current Affairs