Portrayal of History in Film

Discuss historical events and information concerning any culture, time, or location in our world (or even the frontier beyond).

Re: Portrayal of History in Film

Unread postby little_lu_bu22 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:33 am

anybody seen the movie shenendai or something. it was made in like the 60s its got gregory peck. not really a war movie but its set during the civil war about a father whose son is mistaken for a soldier and sent to a prison camp and the dad and his sons go out looking for him. i thought it was a good movie.

and the lost battalion and glory are two of my favorite movies ever.

another good one was all quiet on the western front and enemy at the gates.
How do you prove that you exist? maybe we dont exist. Vivi FFIX
little_lu_bu22
Tyro

Unread postby Shen Ai » Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:34 pm

One of the most unbiased films based on history was probably Letters from Iwo Jima. It was excellent, moving and a true treat to watch.
I've a brave warrior in my army. Shen Ai is his name, and he can slay this Hua Xiong.

Wei has no more famous commanders, Shen Ai takes lead of the vanguard!

Even a commoner on the street knows what Shen Ai is thinking!
Shen Ai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:52 pm

Some concern/mockery in the press that Sony is handing out study guides to American schools on Shakespeare. Or rather how, like in Sony new film Anonymous, it couldn't possibly have been Shakespeare who wrote that stuff and it was probably the Earl of Oxford.

It's one thing to make a film that is blatantly not factual. As long as the film is fun. On the other hand, spreading conspiracy theories to schools?
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Shen Ai » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:45 am

little_lu_bu22 wrote:anybody seen the movie shenendai or something. it was made in like the 60s its got gregory peck. not really a war movie but its set during the civil war about a father whose son is mistaken for a soldier and sent to a prison camp and the dad and his sons go out looking for him. i thought it was a good movie.

and the lost battalion and glory are two of my favorite movies ever.

another good one was all quiet on the western front and enemy at the gates.

Keys to the Kingdom with old Mr. Peck was good.
I've a brave warrior in my army. Shen Ai is his name, and he can slay this Hua Xiong.

Shen Ai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:18 pm

Struck me how odd that one of Shakespeare's lesser known history plays: Richard II (though people remember certain lines) has also had a similar impact to Richard III in shaping how the country views the events and the King of the time, we see the Shakespeare man and not the history man.

Excellent play, just surprised at how deep the cultural impact is.
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Shen Ai » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:11 pm

I've always meant to watch the Richard III movie, the 1955 version I think. I've never had the chance though.

Shen Ai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:43 am

I liked this article, by the historian who reviews film's historical accuracy (tends to be amusing) for the guardian, about if Oscar contenders need to be accurate.
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Previous

Return to World History Deliberation