Portrayal of History in Film

Discuss historical events and information concerning any culture, time, or location in our world (or even the frontier beyond).

Re: Portrayal of History in Film

Unread postby Tiger of Kai » Tue May 17, 2011 9:09 pm

Tigger of Kai wrote:Anyway, I'm not breaking any news when I say that Don Cheadle's performance as Paul Rusesabagina, whose resourcefulness saved over 1,000 people from the genocidaires, is just fantastic. This is definitely a film that repays multiple viewings.

Agreed. Cheadle is my favorite actor, though. So that's no real surprise. :D
Tiger of Kai
Initiate

Unread postby Sun Fin » Tue May 17, 2011 9:13 pm

Ha I thought that was Tigger quoting himself for second then.

I think Sean Bean as the fictonal Richard Sharpe is the best period acting I've seen.
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zhuanyong » Tue May 17, 2011 10:12 pm

Sun Fin wrote:I think Sean Bean as the fictonal Richard Sharpe is the best period acting I've seen.

I thought he did an excellent job portraying Esau in the TNT TV Movie Jacob. On that note, I enjoyed Richard Harris portrayal of Abraham in the same series.

I enjoyed Denzel Washington as Malcolm X. He gave quite a bit of depth to the role. Too bad he didn't get his first statue for that role instead of Training Day. That was his best if not one of his best roles ever portrayed.

[No comment]
Zhuanyong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Tigger of Kai » Wed May 18, 2011 12:02 am

Zhuanyong wrote:I enjoyed Denzel Washington as Malcolm X. He gave quite a bit of depth to the role. Too bad he didn't get his first statue for that role instead of Training Day. That was his best if not one of his best roles ever portrayed.

Yes and I also loved Angela Bassett's performance as Betty Shabazz. Denzel did win Best Supporting Actor for Glory, which is, as I said above, my favorite historical film.
Mithril! The dwarves tell no tales. But just as it was the foundation of their wealth, so also it was their destruction. They delved too greedily and too deep, and disturbed that from which they fled.
Tigger of Kai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zhuanyong » Wed May 18, 2011 1:46 am

Tigger of Kai wrote:Yes and I also loved Angela Bassett's performance as Betty Shabazz. Denzel did win Best Supporting Actor for Glory, which is, as I said above, my favorite historical film.

I didn't know he won the Best Supporting Actor award for that. I love Glory too. In fact, when I was trying to sell one of my cousins on watching Red Cliff I told him - 'think Glory with a bunch of high-flying Asians using swords instead of guns.'

[No comment]
Zhuanyong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby TheRealWolfman » Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:25 pm

A good example of US Marine history is the Pacific, as far as I can tell Tom Hanks keeps it very close to what actually happened to those Marines in all ways, and the actors portray it, and Marines themselves, fantastically.
Semper Fi on the God Most High.
TheRealWolfman
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Tiger of Kai » Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:48 pm

TheRealWolfman wrote:A good example of US Marine history is the Pacific, as far as I can tell Tom Hanks keeps it very close to what actually happened to those Marines in all ways, and the actors portray it, and Marines themselves, fantastically.

I thought the Pacific was terrific as well. Not as good as Band of Brothers, but good nonetheless.

Letters From Iwo Jima is still the standard bearer for films about the Pacific Campaign, IMO.
Tiger of Kai
Initiate

Unread postby TheRealWolfman » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:03 pm

I need to watch that one, I've seen flags of our fathers, which are both Eastwood films. Don't they go together? Kind of like peanut butter of frag filled jelly?
Semper Fi on the God Most High.
TheRealWolfman
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Cao Chao » Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:20 pm

They were made at the same time, but I wouldn't say they go together as PB&J. It's sort of like a tv series and one of it's spinoffs.
曹操曰:宁教我负天下人,休教天下人负我!
Cao Chao
Langzhong

Unread postby Semiazas » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:27 pm

I think that, yes some historical films are made to be inaccurate (Gladiator for instance) but that's, to a point, for the sake of entertainment. It's not so much a historical film as a period piece (i.e. a piece of cinema set over a particular historical time period, as opposed to reflecting historical events)
That's where films like Gladiator, to me anyway, differ from films that are more likely to be historical in nature, certain biopics for instance are likely to be made more accurate to the events around them in order to stay true to the biography (might not be the best choice of word as it conjures the image of a book) of whatever figure or event they are centered around.
Semiazas
Apprentice

PreviousNext

Return to World History Deliberation