Portrayal of History in Film

Discuss historical events and information concerning any culture, time, or location in our world (or even the frontier beyond).

Re: Portrayal of History in Film

Unread postby bodidley » Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:13 pm

I was watching some scenes from "We were Soldiers" with a few buddies not too long ago. What a hilariously stupid movie.

"That's a big 10-4 sarge!"

I think that movie has the stupidest scene in movie history. That would be the scene where one of the Army wives is confounded by the existence of segregation in the early 1960s.

"Racism, what the **** is that?"
"We can't mortgage our childrens' future on a mountain of debt," - Barack Obama
bodidley
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Tigger of Kai » Mon May 11, 2009 11:20 am

Anybody catch Hotel Rwanda on PBS the other day? Joaquin Phoenix certainly left a different impression than he did the first time I watched the film, given his recent real-life antics. Back then, he was a figure of pathos; now, he's comic relief. Also, the scene in which the Rwandan Army general (Bizimungu) delivers an impromptu tribute to Scotland had confused me (as it does Paul, the hero). But after learning from The Last King of Scotland that Idi Amin so respected the Scots he trained with in the British military during colonial times that when he gained control of Uganda he styled himself (among other things) King of Scotland, I understand a bit better what this film was driving at.

Anyway, I'm not breaking any news when I say that Don Cheadle's performance as Paul Rusesabagina, whose resourcefulness saved over 1,000 people from the genocidaires, is just fantastic. This is definitely a film that repays multiple viewings.
Mithril! The dwarves tell no tales. But just as it was the foundation of their wealth, so also it was their destruction. They delved too greedily and too deep, and disturbed that from which they fled.
Tigger of Kai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Tony_Han » Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:48 pm

I'm surprised that the Red Cliff movies aren't discussed more on this site. Well i thought it was humorous how at the conclusion of Red Cliff 2 that the Shu-Wu allies just allow Cao Cao to be released. Such a "Hollywood" ending rather than portraying what really happened.
Tony_Han
Tyro

Unread postby Crazedmongoose » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:22 am

Yeah but what really happened wasn't very cinematic.

"Oh yeah they all got sick and then we burned some of their ships and Cao Cao couldn't be bothered and burned the rest of their ships and left. We chased him but he got away."
Crazedmongoose
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby SunXia » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:35 pm

I don't go to the cinema or rent movies for a history lesson!! Seriously, if I wanted that I'd jus dust off an old volume of one book or other and begin reading!! I go to enjoy a cinematic experience!! Inaccuracies don't really bother me because the story of the movie is "Based on those Events", it is no where stated "This is the most accurate representation of what happened"!!
If becoming enlightened or an intellectual means I must become arrogant and coldly cynical about the world around me then I'd gladly remain a fool for the rest of my life!!

I'm Out4Marriage!!!Are You??

It is a CHOICE!!
SunXia
Warrior Princess
Warrior Princess

Location: Keeping Evils from this world at bay...with a smile!!

Unread postby Crazedmongoose » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:18 am

Exactly. A work of art doesn't need to be accurate or realistic. It's a work of art to be judged on a lot of merits.

Of course, one of the merits can be historical accuracy in certain aspects. It depends on the vision of the creators.

But just in terms of cinema many if not most historical films would not be very entertaining if they were realistic. Everybody from the dashing heroes to the buxom maidens would be about five foot four or something and have terrible teeth, skin and everything else really. They'd all look kind of ugly. And if you read medieval texts, there were very few likable and relate-able characters for the modern audience. Even the most virtuous of people for the time, like say Saladin or Liu Bei, were kinda assholes.

I do have one complaint though, what's with period films these days over emphasizing explosive trebuchets/other forms of catapults during a battle? These are the ancient times, the battles have their own forms of magnificence, don't try to entertain us by recreating the battle of Verdun. Things like trebuchets weren't used in every battle and certainly not always used with explosive projectiles and by the hundreds.
Crazedmongoose
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby SunXia » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:05 pm

Wow, Cate Blanchett is a great actress!!

Those Elizabethan films of hers, just watched them, so inaccurate it's inconceivable but still, just one person's portrayal through a little bit of tinted eyes there!!
If becoming enlightened or an intellectual means I must become arrogant and coldly cynical about the world around me then I'd gladly remain a fool for the rest of my life!!

I'm Out4Marriage!!!Are You??

It is a CHOICE!!
SunXia
Warrior Princess
Warrior Princess

Location: Keeping Evils from this world at bay...with a smile!!

Unread postby Crazedmongoose » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:44 am

Being a massive film buff, I'd easily rate Cate Blanchett as these two generation's best female actor.
Crazedmongoose
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby princeherry » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:47 am

Film and History is a compelling and unique overview of the cinema and its relationship with history, ranging from the ancient world to the modern day.

This is the first book of its kind to offer such a broad historical and theoretical portrayal of the rapidly-growing sub field of history and film.

Rosenstone introduces the varieties, types and traditions of historical films made worldwide and sets this against the changing ways in which historians and other public critics debate the portrayal of history in modern film.
princeherry
Tyro

Unread postby michalrock_ » Tue May 10, 2011 5:31 pm

When We Talk About The Hollywood Films We Can Be Already Remind the The Portrayal of In Film Its The OLne Of The Most enteraining With The Good Story film Its One POf The Nice film
michalrock_
Tyro

PreviousNext

Return to World History Deliberation