Portrayal of History in Film

Discuss historical events and information concerning any culture, time, or location in our world (or even the frontier beyond).

Re: Portrayal of History in Film

Unread postby TheRealWolfman » Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:20 am

When another football movie is made I wouldn't mind seein it about the '87,'88 Bengals, and Kevin Costner as Sam Wynch.

It would be intresting to see the years leading to the first Super Bowl portayed.

This may not be Alexander the Great history, but it (1st Super Bowl) helped face and change the nation to what it is today.
Semper Fi on the God Most High.
TheRealWolfman
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Tianshan Zi » Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:51 pm

Sports history can be interesting; in fact, that is the only time sports are even remotely interesting to me! :wink:

Speaking of Alexander the Great, has anyone else watched the final version of Oliver Stone's film, which he has titled Alexander Revisited? This film is one of my favorites and the narrative is well-interwoven thematically rather than chronologically. This version of the film finally repairs the editorial flaws of the earlier versions, and Alexander's character and relationships are more completely portrayed--in addition to the characters and relationships among other figures. Even better, the political and military situations are also more coherent and detailed.

Admittedly, I am a sucker for ancient history and a good epic, so I am biased; I also didn't completely hate the original theatrical release. My only complaint: I'd like to see more depth in the film's Persian characters.
Tianshan Zi
Headless Thompson Gunner

Unread postby SunXia » Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:08 am

I liked the Director's Cut version of Alexander despite the fact I'm not a Colin Farrell fan, (are you sure she'd Irish?) but I liked the newer version so I bought it!! I thought it portrayed the history a whole lot better than the original, which cut out too much for it to be coherent to me!!
If becoming enlightened or an intellectual means I must become arrogant and coldly cynical about the world around me then I'd gladly remain a fool for the rest of my life!!

I'm Out4Marriage!!!Are You??

It is a CHOICE!!
SunXia
Warrior Princess
Warrior Princess

Location: Keeping Evils from this world at bay...with a smile!!

Unread postby Tianshan Zi » Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:28 pm

SunXia wrote:I liked the Director's Cut version of Alexander despite the fact I'm not a Colin Farrell fan, (are you sure she'd Irish?) but I liked the newer version so I bought it!! I thought it portrayed the history a whole lot better than the original, which cut out too much for it to be coherent to me!!

Yes, Alexander Revisited is much richer in its historical detail. Also, the thematic threads which structure the film are fuller and easier to follow. :)
Tianshan Zi
Headless Thompson Gunner

Unread postby Tigger of Kai » Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:36 pm

SunXia wrote:I liked the Director's Cut version of Alexander despite the fact I'm not a Colin Farrell fan, (are you sure she'd Irish?)

Wow, you really know how to insult a guy! I found the presence of so many big stars distracting, I was like, "hey, there's Angelina Jolie and Rosario Dawson, and they're naked". I notice that successful historical TV series like HBO's Rome and John Adams favor a different approach — using veteran character actors — and this difference is probably because of box office considerations.
Mithril! The dwarves tell no tales. But just as it was the foundation of their wealth, so also it was their destruction. They delved too greedily and too deep, and disturbed that from which they fled.
Tigger of Kai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Tianshan Zi » Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:25 pm

Tigger of Kai wrote:Wow, you really know how to insult a guy! I found the presence of so many big stars distracting, I was like, "hey, there's Angelina Jolie and Rosario Dawson, and they're naked". I notice that successful historical TV series like HBO's Rome and John Adams favor a different approach — using veteran character actors — and this difference is probably because of box office considerations.

I understand your point completely. Yes, the approach toward Rome was great, even with a few well-known British actors thrown into the mix (Polly Walker, for example).
Tianshan Zi
Headless Thompson Gunner

Unread postby Elven Fury » Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:26 pm

Anyone check out Valkyrie yet? My dad said he wanted to see them kill Hitler, and despite my insistence that the table got in the way he wanted to see it. I thought it was a pretty decent dramatization of the whole scenario that went down during that whole plan.
Tom Cruise is... and always will be... Tom Cruise. A mediocre actor at best, no greatness, just solid. (Just my opinion). Nonetheless I thought it took some creative liberties in the end for action, but it was still a good movie. I don't think that they actually tried to coup, just planned for it. Please correct me if I am wrong, but I do not remember reading anything about it other than the plans for the actual coup.
Nonetheless I was just wondering if anyone else saw it and what they thought about it.
It is important to draw wisdom from many different places. If we take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale. Understanding others - other people, other beliefs, and other nations - will help you become whole.
Elven Fury
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Mistelten » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:42 am

Valkyrie was a cut above the rest of WW2 movies that deal largely with Headquarters stuff. I think it will be well remembered and personally I enjoyed it very much.
Mistelten
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby DaiSin » Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:10 pm

Anybody have thoughts on the movie, Mongol?

I know for sure it wasn't an accurate portrayal or anything, and that parts of the plot were a little off-kilter, but I thought it was alright for what it is. As long as you can deal with a bit of a slow pace, I feel it is a rewarding enough movie to garner a watch.. anybody have any thoughts?

I hear Sergei Bodrov is planning on making the movie into a trilogy, personally I can't wait to see the next one. But thats just me.
Thief, steal me a peach!!
DaiSin
Initiate

Unread postby Elven Fury » Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:55 pm

It was originally planned as a trilogy. Bodorov just claimed it had taken so much out of him that he didn't want to do more. Nonetheless Mongol 2 has been announced for 2010-2011 (I am giddy). I believe it covers everything up to the fall of the Khwarizm, though it would likely be just the Xi Xia and Jin. With 3 being the rest of the middle east and the Southern Song. But that's my guess, I got no idea to be honest.

The story might not have been the most accurate thing in the world, it still stuck to the general plot. Seeing as so much of his life before the invasions of China and Middle East are shrouded in legend it isn't surprising. I think that the costumes, and settings, as well as portrayals of the people were accurate and serve as a good reference when trying to see what your reading about at least.
It is important to draw wisdom from many different places. If we take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale. Understanding others - other people, other beliefs, and other nations - will help you become whole.
Elven Fury
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to World History Deliberation