Portrayal of History in Film

Discuss historical events and information concerning any culture, time, or location in our world (or even the frontier beyond).

Unread postby Cherry_Blossom » Tue Mar 30, 2004 4:41 am

While not necessarily historically accurate I fell in love with such films as: Titanic, Tombstone, K-19, Michael Collins, Patriot...

I thought they all really brought emotions to surface and even if not completely accurate (I am not sure on some of them..I know Titanic and Tombstone..oh and I forgot..the Patriot all took liberties) anyway..they invoked emotions and gave a glimpse of what times were like in some ways and what people went thru. Really gets you to think.
Short version of a quote by Thales:
Of all things;God = most ancient;he is uncreated,Universe=most beautiful;God's work,Space=greatest;holds all,Swiftest=mind;speeds
everywhere,Strongest=necessity;masters all,Wisest=time; brings all things to light
Cherry_Blossom
Changshi

Unread postby Book of Faith » Sat Apr 10, 2004 11:10 pm

Earlier today, I had the pleasure of viewing The Alamo. It was a terrific movie, that I highly suggest you all see.

The battles were played well(historically accurate), the dress of soldiers was great(I thought wardrobe to resemble the historical wardrobe amazingly), and it didn't try to make one army be the 'bad guy'. Nicely done.
Book of Faith
Langzhong

Unread postby Xiahou Ji » Sat May 01, 2004 9:11 pm

What about "Troy" ? It is not on yet I think. But it is suppose to be based on a historical incident right ? All I know is that they had troops hid inside some "wooden horses", is that right ? Can someone tell me more about the incident ?
Then say you'll share with me one love, one lifetime;
let me lead you from your solitude.
Say you need me with you, here beside you,
anywhere you go, let me go too,
Christine, that's all I ask of you...
Xiahou Ji
Academic

Unread postby Book of Faith » Sun May 02, 2004 1:20 am

Xiahou Ji wrote:What about "Troy" ? It is not on yet I think.

Yes, I've heard of this. I beleive Brad Pitt is to be the star :? .

But it is suppose to be based on a historical incident right ?

Indeed it is. Use the link below to learn about the battle.

All I know is that they had troops hid inside some "wooden horses", is that right ? Can someone tell me more about the incident ?

http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.c ... 0of%20Troy

That(and the links within) should answer any questions you may have.
Book of Faith
Langzhong

Unread postby Kül Tigin » Tue May 04, 2004 6:44 pm

"Troy" will be in the theaters throughout the World in May 14 :wink:
Admin of SHF
Kül Tigin
Khaghan of the Türüks

Unread postby SesshomaruTenseiga » Sun May 09, 2004 2:32 am

I just saw "The Lost Battalion". It was a film about a WWI Battalion stuck in Argorn Forest. It brought to light what really happended in WWI, that few know about.

Honestly, when most people recall WWI, their mind draws a blank. (Much like the Korean War) Anyone ever see it? It wasn't as far-fetched as some movies I've seen.

I saw a movie on D-Day (The Finest Hour I think) And the troops charged up the hill. No one charged up the hill.
Last edited by SesshomaruTenseiga on Mon Jun 07, 2004 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's a now nothing.
SesshomaruTenseiga
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lucifer » Sun May 16, 2004 5:29 am

I saw "Troy" a few days ago.... is anyone familiar with the Illiad? There were way too many unforgiveable twists in the movie... Achilles (if you don't want to know the ending then stop reading) doesn't die like he was supposed to... it was awful. Why take something already rich in myth and action and turn it into a twisted, hollywoodized, love story? Achilles doesn't love! Achilles smash!!!
Lucifer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby ConfuciusSays » Sat May 22, 2004 5:22 am

A Bridge to Far was a really good war film about Operation Market Garden. Patton of course was a great movie along with The Last Samurai (though that is not exactly factual).
"Good thing I can run fast!"
Pang Tong
ConfuciusSays
Initiate

Unread postby SesshomaruTenseiga » Sat May 22, 2004 3:18 pm

Band of Brothers. Great series. Shows Easy Company's fight through Europe, beginning with Operation Overlord, Market Garden, then they breach the rhineland. It is an actual account of what happended to the men of Easy Company.

Awesome series. It's on mondays on the History Channel; 9p.m. Eastern.

Give it a hero's welcome.
It's a now nothing.
SesshomaruTenseiga
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby phenomenal17 » Mon Jun 14, 2004 7:25 pm

Lucifer wrote:I saw "Troy" a few days ago.... is anyone familiar with the Illiad? There were way too many unforgiveable twists in the movie... Achilles (if you don't want to know the ending then stop reading) doesn't die like he was supposed to... it was awful. Why take something already rich in myth and action and turn it into a twisted, hollywoodized, love story? Achilles doesn't love! Achilles smash!!!

Are you kidding me? Achilles has to die! I haven't seen it, and at this point, it was doubtful that I would except on DVD, so I guess I'm glad I heard that. That's... ridiculous. I was going to point out that you can't really expect Troy to be historically accurate any more than you can expect accuracy from Homer, but if it's not even true to that... Bah!

One movie I'm surprised no one talked about was Braveheart. Since a lot of people (well, Americans at least) just don't know that much about the time, it goes undisputed. Admittedly, I didn't really know anything (and I still know little), but I poked around on the Internet one time and stumbled on a site that disconfirmed Braveheart pretty well. I couldn't find that site, but this should suffice: click me!

Actually though, the author of the site I can't find made a good point about why it's sometimes okay to criticize movies for twisting events from history. He said basically that it's fine if things get changed if it's for a good reason, or if it's just for a story, but movies like Braveheart twist things in a way that cause people to hate certain groups- with Braveheart, for example, one is inclined to hate the British. Any thoughts on that? Many people have pointed out that fiction is more interesting than fact (or at least more marketable), but are there times when it's just unacceptable, or when it's unacceptably done?
...brevity can never, in the nature of things, do justice to all the facts of a complex situation.

-Aldous Huxley
phenomenal17
Sage

PreviousNext

Return to World History Deliberation