The "VS" Thread

Discuss historical events and information concerning any culture, time, or location in our world (or even the frontier beyond).

Unread postby Man Chong » Wed Jan 07, 2004 2:40 am

Lols, bro, you mister. I-know-everything! :P

Huns defeated the Ostro or Visigoth(Forgot. One was allied to the Huns, one opposing them)

Then after Huns defeated the Goth, Aetius went in for the kill.

So Huns win :)
Man Chong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Kül Tigin » Wed Jan 07, 2004 7:22 pm

The Huns first attacked and defeated the Ostrogothic king Ermanarich's army in 375. The defeated Ostrogoths attacked the Visigoths, who in turn fled to Roman lands, thus also starting the "Great Migrations" of Germanic peoples.

During the time of Attila, the Ostrogoths were loyal allies of the Huns, and the Visigoths, as vassals of the Western Romans, were bitter enemies of both. At the Battle of Catalonium Fields, the Hunnic army had Huns, Ostorogoths and Gepids (also other allies) while the Western Roman army was composed of Romans, Visigoths, Latinised Celts, Franks, Alans and Burgunds.

The Osttrogoths served as spearmen and armored cavalries in the Hunnic army. But their defeat in 375 shows that they were not effective against Hunnic riders (the Huns were not very united and they were not at their peak during the 370s). Gothic heavy cavalries were shaped after Sarmatian Cataphracts (riders wearing full armor, also found in Parthians, Sassanids and Eastern Romans); but keep in mind that the Sarmatians themselves were crushed by the Huns before the Huns reached Ukraine.
Admin of SHF
Kül Tigin
Khaghan of the Türüks

Unread postby Han Liang » Thu Feb 19, 2004 3:11 pm

Boudicca vs. Wat Tyler... heehee... I say Boudicca. Wat's head will be on a stake in a week.
Han Liang
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Stedfel » Thu Feb 19, 2004 11:34 pm

The goths, definitely the goths. They did defeat the romans in battle at least twice, to my understanding, and sacked the capital.
Stedfel
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Two vs's

Unread postby Da_Chicago_Jigalo » Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:29 am

Alright heres two vs i'm throwing at ya

Deng Ai v.s. Lu Xun in a full battle of each having 50,000 troops

And The 200 a.d. Roman Empire v.s. the 200 a.d. Jin empire at its full power.

But for the whole Samurai v.s. Britons, no doubt the samurai would crush them. The britons are a couple 100 years behind the creation of samurais. Ha ha u probaly got that one off of age of empires huh. That game is tight.

With the hannibal and the roman one, definitely hannibal would win. He is a good strategist, far past whoever fought the huns(forget his name), plus at the time of that general rome could barely hold its own nation let alone its empire and the its army.
Yo.....
Da_Chicago_Jigalo
Langzhong

Unread postby Jiang Zhi » Wed Feb 25, 2004 3:54 pm

How's this: Tony Blair vs George Dubya ;)
Jiang Zhi of Foshan, style Maodi
~*!越武帝!*~ - 我愛我的妻子孫尚香!
Nan Hai, Jiaozhou

Laconius Arts and Design My Rot3K fanfiction
Jiang Zhi
Sun Shang Xiang's puppy-eyed slave

Unread postby Lu Wei » Thu Feb 26, 2004 6:57 pm

Deng Ai vs. Lu Xun: Lu Xun by far. Deng Ai really had no extremely stunning victories or achievements, constrasted to Lu Xun who may have been the best commander of the period.

Roman Empire vs. Jin Empire: Roman Empire. The Jin Empire just didnt have the talent needed to stay in the ring with the Roman armies.

Samurai vs. English: The English. Samurai forces had no weapon able to match the longbow in terms of destructive power. Though perhaps Japan might be able to withstand an English siege, in an all-out battle England will pull head.

As for Hannibal vs. Attila, did you know that in the battle of Catalaunian Fields, the Roman general Aetius used an exact replica of Hannibal's tactics against the Hunnic armies? Attila reacted fast, and the battle was a draw, but a tactical win for Rome since Attila had to retreat. I think much the same result would have occured in a fight. A Hunnic invasion of Carthage would fail.
Lu Wei
Langzhong

Unread postby Koichi » Fri Feb 27, 2004 2:24 pm

Jiang Zhi wrote:How's this: Tony Blair vs George Dubya ;)

If you guys are going for modern world leaders, I'd like to see:

Saddam Hussein VS Ayatollah Khomeini

Two bitter enemies, one secular Sunni, one fundamentalist Shi'ite. Both were known autocratic rulers who reigned over their populations with terror tactics.
Koichi
Scholar of Shen Zhou
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Elven Fury » Fri Feb 27, 2004 2:46 pm

I would go with Sadaam... he supposedly had nukes :lol: ... but i would still go with him either way... his men fight to the end thats what weve seen...
It is important to draw wisdom from many different places. If we take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale. Understanding others - other people, other beliefs, and other nations - will help you become whole.
Elven Fury
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Koichi » Fri Feb 27, 2004 2:52 pm

Elven Fury wrote:I would go with Sadaam... he supposedly had nukes :lol: ... but i would still go with him either way... his men fight to the end thats what weve seen...

Oh no, the two already fought a conventional war. I meant if the two got into a fist-fight. THAT would've been nasty. My vote would go to the fanatical Ayatollah had he not been so much older than Saddam at the time.
Koichi
Scholar of Shen Zhou
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to World History Deliberation