The "VS" Thread

Discuss historical events and information concerning any culture, time, or location in our world (or even the frontier beyond).

Re: The "VS" Thread

Unread postby Boydie » Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:39 pm

Cao Chao wrote:
Boydie wrote:Good mention of Edward Pellew.

Sir Francis Drake was a great ship commander, the raid of Cádiz being probably being his most successful campaign, his tiny fleet destroyed, captured or sunk over 100 ships over a 3 month period and delayed the Spanish plans to invade England by more than a year, giving Queen Elizabeth I precious time to prepare, personally I think if Drake's campaign wasn't successful, I think it would be safe to assume we would be speaking Spanish today. :wink:

Sure Nelson wasn't not known as a ship commander, but he does have a lot of experience of being a ship commander, plus if you add his "inspirational leadership and superb grasp of strategy and unconventional tactics", he'd make a fearsome foe.

You do realize that Drake's Cadiz raid faced little to no resistance and that most of the 100 ships lost were merchant and fishing vessels, right?

I'm not disparaging Nelson, but merely remarking that he never fought in an one-on-one engagement with any force of equal standing while a frigate or ship of the line captain aside from the Action of 19 December 1796 and the suicidal craziness that brought about the victory at the Battle of Cape St. Vincent (though the Spaniards were incompetent and ill prepared for fleet action).

To be fair, the reason why Drake faced little resistance is because he caught the Spanish by surprise. The Spanish were too slow to repel the English and by the time the Spanish fleet set sail,they were quickly forced to retire back to Cádiz due to the superiority of the English. By the time the the raid was over; the first day 37 Spanish vessels were destroyed, many of them apart of the Spanish fleet, although it is believed that Drake may have taken some ships with him too. Over the 3 month period, I remember watching a documentary stating that Drake had destroyed around 50 Armada Española vessels .* Also as you said; the rest would of been fishing/merchant ships. But still, it's still an impressive feat.

Your second point, point taken.

*If you like, I could try and find that documentary. It's very interesting, I'm sure it's kicking about YouTube somewhere.
Boydie
Academic

Unread postby Cao Chao » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:36 pm

A fairer fleet action fight would probably be between de Ruyter and Nelson.
曹操曰:宁教我负天下人,休教天下人负我!
Cao Chao
Langzhong

Unread postby ROTKobsessed » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:26 am

Boydie wrote:
Cao Chao wrote:
Boydie wrote:Good mention of Edward Pellew.

Sir Francis Drake was a great ship commander, the raid of Cádiz being probably being his most successful campaign, his tiny fleet destroyed, captured or sunk over 100 ships over a 3 month period and delayed the Spanish plans to invade England by more than a year, giving Queen Elizabeth I precious time to prepare, personally I think if Drake's campaign wasn't successful, I think it would be safe to assume we would be speaking Spanish today. :wink:

Sure Nelson wasn't not known as a ship commander, but he does have a lot of experience of being a ship commander, plus if you add his "inspirational leadership and superb grasp of strategy and unconventional tactics", he'd make a fearsome foe.

You do realize that Drake's Cadiz raid faced little to no resistance and that most of the 100 ships lost were merchant and fishing vessels, right?

I'm not disparaging Nelson, but merely remarking that he never fought in an one-on-one engagement with any force of equal standing while a frigate or ship of the line captain aside from the Action of 19 December 1796 and the suicidal craziness that brought about the victory at the Battle of Cape St. Vincent (though the Spaniards were incompetent and ill prepared for fleet action).

To be fair, the reason why Drake faced little resistance is because he caught the Spanish by surprise. The Spanish were too slow to repel the English and by the time the Spanish fleet set sail,they were quickly forced to retire back to Cádiz due to the superiority of the English. By the time the the raid was over; the first day 37 Spanish vessels were destroyed, many of them apart of the Spanish fleet, although it is believed that Drake may have taken some ships with him too. Over the 3 month period, I remember watching a documentary stating that Drake had destroyed around 50 Armada Española vessels .* Also as you said; the rest would of been fishing/merchant ships. But still, it's still an impressive feat.

Your second point, point taken.

*If you like, I could try and find that documentary. It's very interesting, I'm sure it's kicking about YouTube somewhere.

I think the documentary you're thinking of is The British
however, while he didn't destroy too many ships, the fact that England won is significantly important. Most textbooks on this subject (I've studied it before) say that by defeating the Spanish it basically allowed England to go and colonise America, as the Spanish couldn't control the channel
'Never was anything great achieved without danger.' - Niccolo Machiavelli
ROTKobsessed
Academic

Unread postby Boydie » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:07 pm

Cao Chao wrote:A fairer fleet action fight would probably be between de Ruyter and Nelson.

Hmm, I don't know enough about de Ruyter to make a fair comment to be honest. I'll have a wee read about him. What do you think?

ROTKobsessed wrote:I think the documentary you're thinking of is The British
however, while he didn't destroy too many ships, the fact that England won is significantly important. Most textbooks on this subject (I've studied it before) say that by defeating the Spanish it basically allowed England to go and colonise America, as the Spanish couldn't control the channel

It could be that documentary! I'd need to check! But I totally agree with you! If it was not for Drake I believe the world would look a very very different place today.

Also it was Trafalgar Day two days ago, marked the 208 years since that famous battle. Didn't see any TV coverage about it which is a shame. Lest we forget.
Boydie
Academic

Unread postby ROTKobsessed » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:47 pm

Boydie wrote:
ROTKobsessed wrote:I think the documentary you're thinking of is The British

It could be that documentary! I'd need to check! But I totally agree with you! If it was not for Drake I believe the world would look a very very different place today.

what I really loved about Navy victory under him was two fold:

1- the fact that England's navy was partly funded by Silver which Drake stole from Spain is pretty badass
2- wind helping Drake's plan; Elizabeth really ripped the s*** out of that idea, it was used as religious propaganda for the rest of her reign; 'god's on our side' etc etc
'Never was anything great achieved without danger.' - Niccolo Machiavelli
ROTKobsessed
Academic

Unread postby Xia Kyoto » Thu May 07, 2015 5:43 am

pacquiao vs mayweather
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.. and if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." - Nietzsche
Xia Kyoto
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby addseo1115 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:38 am

Glad to see your nice discussion here.
Hope to be enjoyed with this forum much. :D
addseo1115
Tyro

Unread postby greencactaur » Sun May 29, 2016 10:10 pm

What about Cao Cao VS Han Xin? I love Cao Cao, and I think Han Xin was one of the greatest minds during the forming of the Han.
greencactaur
Academic

Previous

Return to World History Deliberation