Ying Zheng vs Cao Cao

Discuss historical events and information concerning any culture, time, or location in our world (or even the frontier beyond).

Who is the most powerful of two of the most ambitious rulers of China?

Qin Shi Huangdi (Ying Zheng)
40%
Wei Wu Wang (Cao Cao)
60%

Total votes : 20

Ying Zheng vs Cao Cao

Unread postby Jiang Zhi » Wed May 14, 2003 7:00 pm

Both Ying Zheng, the First Emperor of China and Cao Cao, the King of Wei are very ambitious men. Both had huge armies, a wide range of talents and want to unite China under their flag - Ying Zheng with Qin and Cao Cao with Wei.

Who would win if the country of China is split between those two? Qin Shi Huangdi or Wei Wu Wang?
Jiang Zhi of Foshan, style Maodi
~*!越武帝!*~ - 我愛我的妻子孫尚香!
Nan Hai, Jiaozhou

Laconius Arts and Design My Rot3K fanfiction
Jiang Zhi
Sun Shang Xiang's puppy-eyed slave

Unread postby Pang Shiyuan » Wed May 14, 2003 10:51 pm

That really depends on which subordinates each man would have. :D

Anyway, IMO, Cao Cao was almost equally as ruthless as Ying Zheng (evidence: the slaughter at Xu Zhou, burying Yuan Tan and his army alive after they surrendered...etc), and also had the capacity to fully employ his officer's potential. Mengde treated captured officers with due respect and more often than not, impressed them to join into his ranks.

The difference: Mengde started out with a tiny army to resist Dong Zhuo. When Ying Zheng ascended the throne, Qin was already a powerful country, thanks to the work of Shang Yang (Wei Yang), Bai Li Xi, Fan Sui and arguably Zhang Yi. So in terms of achievement, Cao's millitary career was far more impressive. Also, Cao fought his own battles, unlike Ying Zheng who never took to the front, relying on the abilities of Wang Jian, Wang Ben and Meng Tian to secure victories.

Cao's network of advisors and counsellors (Xun Yu, Xun You, Jia Xu, Guo Jia, Man Chong...etc) drew parallels to the likes of Li Si, Wei Liao and Wang An. Clearly, both Cao Cao and Ying Zheng knew the importance of strategy and diplomacy over brute force.
Pang Shiyuan
凤雏先生

Unread postby Kül Tigin » Thu May 15, 2003 6:08 pm

IMO Qin Shi Huangdi was better than Cao Cao. Just look at the former; The First Emperor and Unifier of China 8-) QSH also unified the Chinese language, currency, customs, etc...
Admin of SHF
Kül Tigin
Khaghan of the Türüks

Unread postby Cao Zhi » Fri Jun 13, 2003 12:22 am

I think it would depend on the quality of the officers. Both Mengde and Shi Huangdi were charismatic and rutherless men, and would have attracted to their respective sides the talents that they needed. I think Cao Cao's campaigns were more impressive, considering he started out with only a handful of officers and a small land. Ying Zheng already ruled a strong Qin.

Perhaps they would recognize each other as kindred spirits ;)
Cao Zhi
Princely Poet of Wei

Unread postby Ma Chao of Xi Liang » Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:42 am

I have to say Cao Cao was more ambitious.His only problem was Liu Bei and Sun Quan who were also powerful as well in his time.
Ma Chao of Xi Liang
Langzhong

Re: Ying Zheng vs Cao Cao

Unread postby hegemonxiang » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:51 am

When Qin's time, Ying zheng has the some great general such as Wang Jian. Not many opponent can stands against them in the other state at that time... In Cao Cao time, got the genius strategies Zhuge Liang stand on his way.
hegemonxiang
Tyro

Re: Ying Zheng vs Cao Cao

Unread postby Crazedmongoose » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:31 am

I'd choose Cao Cao purely from the reason that he had to start from much less and was a self made man. Ying Zheng never had to contend with an equivalent of Yuan shao or Lu Bu's rebellion.
Crazedmongoose
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Return to World History Deliberation