The Samurai Vs. The Ninja

Discuss historical events and information concerning any culture, time, or location in our world (or even the frontier beyond).

Who Would Win?

Samurai
68%
Ninja
32%

Total votes : 63

The Samurai Vs. The Ninja

Unread postby Lord Lu Bu » Wed Apr 30, 2003 9:27 pm

I'm sure people have wondered who would win in a fight. I think it would be the Samurai. They have grat speed and devastating attacks. Not to mention being a monster in close combat. Enough said. Anyway what do you think?
Lord Lu Bu
Langzhong

Location: A place where the government doesn't want you to know about!

Unread postby Sun Bofu » Wed Apr 30, 2003 10:29 pm

It's hard to vote.....On one hand the ninja is stealthy and nimble, while the samurai is honerable and strong.
"Your words, O Wise One, are as gold and precious stones, but I fear that my soldiers will not carry out my commands unless I myself share their dangers."
Sun Bofu
Changshi

Unread postby Phoenix » Thu May 01, 2003 12:07 am

I would have to say ninja because ninjas are stealthy, so the samurai would be dead before he even knows the ninja is there.
"Stay hungry, experience all that you can, push your horizons out as far as you can get them."

Youtube Channel
Phoenix
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Rhiannon » Thu May 01, 2003 1:11 am

I would argue the ninja as well, but not because of the stealth factor. Ninjas were taught to fight in close quarters and at disadvantageous positions, so would be naturally in a beneficial position against a well-trained samurai.
"For us to have self-esteem is truly an act of revolution and our revolution is long overdue."
— Margaret Cho
Rhiannon
Joy & Oblivion
Joy & Oblivion

Unread postby Lion's Mane » Thu May 01, 2003 1:22 am

If you think ninja were nothing more than assassins, well, sorry, but you've a major misconception on your hands. Ninja were spies, infiltrators. Yes, this did involve killing, sometimes. Assassinations, sometimes. But a ninja is not a cold blooded killer like most people believe.

That being said, you can't answer this question. Is the battle head-to-head, no tricks? Samurai would wipe the floor, as they are trained for military campaigns, formost, while ninja are for recon. Is this indoors, where the ninja can employ stealth and guile? Then in this case it would be the ninja. Low visiblity? Whomever gets caught gets killed.

It's hard to say one way or another, due to the circumstances. And besides, in many instances, ninja WERE samurai. Warriors under the service of a shogun, daimyo, etc. They just happened to train in espionage. That's not to say that all ninja were samurai, as there are several clans, that's obvious.

My answer is both.
Remember, children, "No two people are not on fire."
Lion's Mane
Lord of Annwn
Lord of Annwn

Unread postby The Flavor Cat » Thu May 01, 2003 1:38 am

This is, like most people have said, a tough question to answer. On one hand, a ninja could bide his time until the samurai is weakest, and then strike, but if he was ever discovered, the samurai would probablly win, since he's most likely dedicated more time to combat than the ninja.
The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,
Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit
Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line,
Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
~ The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam
The Flavor Cat
Initiate

Location: In a garden where the North wind may scatter roses across the ground

Unread postby Stuart » Thu May 01, 2003 6:22 am

By the Art of War, the ninja should win, beacuse they stay hidden to the last minuite, so thats who i voted for.
Stuart
The Shining One

Unread postby Kül Tigin » Thu May 01, 2003 8:56 pm

Btw, a bit off-topic but; what exactly was a daimyo? Like a feudal lord, having a higher status than a shogun? :oops:
Admin of SHF
Kül Tigin
Khaghan of the Türüks

Unread postby Jiang Zhi » Thu May 01, 2003 9:45 pm

Unless the Samurai is Kenshin, I vote Ninja......:P I agree with what Lord Davi says though......in a field battle, Samurai will dominate but in close quarters, it'll be the Ninja......also, it depends on the skill and experience of the fighter.........
Jiang Zhi of Foshan, style Maodi
~*!越武帝!*~ - 我愛我的妻子孫尚香!
Nan Hai, Jiaozhou

Laconius Arts and Design My Rot3K fanfiction
Jiang Zhi
Sun Shang Xiang's puppy-eyed slave

Unread postby ban wen » Thu May 01, 2003 11:41 pm

Well it depends on what you guys wanted to compared as in what situations as in open ground where you can only see grass, or in places where a lot of trees, bushes, tall grass grows. Because each of these two warriors fight best in their favourite place.

According to thoughts in my head, ninjas fight best with their art of stealth in places, where a lot of things grow and obstacles around, whereas with the samurai especially the Kensai will fight best in open terrain with nothing around, since their bulky armour is heavy.

Well Bilge Khaghan in my knowledge it says that a Daimyo is A feudal lord of Japan who was a large landowner.
ban wen
Apprentice

Next

Return to World History Deliberation