The Samurai Vs. The Ninja

Discuss historical events and information concerning any culture, time, or location in our world (or even the frontier beyond).

Who Would Win?

Samurai
68%
Ninja
32%

Total votes : 63

Unread postby Kula Diamond » Fri Jul 18, 2003 8:33 am

The ninja could sneak around, kill the samurai easy behind their back (since ninjas are meant to do everything through stealth) and not be seen. In that case open combat wouldn't happen and the ninja wins. However, if the ninja and samurai were fighting in open combat, the samurai would win so I would have to vote for the samurai in facing a ninja head on.
Booyaka!

Journal
Kula Diamond
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Elven Fury » Wed Dec 31, 2003 1:39 am

I feel that it would be a close battle, with many casualties, but i feel that the last man (or men) standing would be the Samurai, b/c if the Ninja got into a big battle their cover would be blown and they wouldnt have much more special things than the Samurai...
It is important to draw wisdom from many different places. If we take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale. Understanding others - other people, other beliefs, and other nations - will help you become whole.
Elven Fury
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby EERman » Wed Dec 31, 2003 2:44 am

i would say the samarai if they get an open battle with the ninjas, but if the ninjas can stay in stealth mode then they could win.
samarai are better fighters mano a mano.
Suger Is Sweet
EERman
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Li Dian » Wed Jan 07, 2004 4:28 am

Ninja were just spys/assassians used to get information. They were not warriors. Samurai were warriors.
In a duel or battle the ninjas would be dystroyed.
You may know me as....

Wen Chou (Jiu Inn, AWP)
Pang Chao (3kingdoms.net)
Liu Xing (GUA)
Liu Dai (SIM RTK)
Li Dian (SoSZ,DRSF)
Li Dian
Initiate

Unread postby Marc » Sun Jan 18, 2004 7:59 pm

I think a ninja would win here, since aamurais were taught to be honourable and therefore would not know many close combat techniques that would be considered 'underhand' while a ninja would know these, the whole point of a ninja being to subdue or kill swiftly....
plus, the ninja used a straight sword. Straight swords rock.
Roses are red, violets are blue,
Omae wa mo shindeiru
Marc
Robot In Disguise
Robot In Disguise

Unread postby Omega52 » Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:16 am

Zhuge Marc wrote:I think a ninja would win here, since aamurais were taught to be honourable and therefore would not know many close combat techniques that would be considered 'underhand' while a ninja would know these, the whole point of a ninja being to subdue or kill swiftly....
plus, the ninja used a straight sword. Straight swords rock.
This straight Ninja-To was very weak and nimble compared to the nearly indestructable Katana. You must take into account that Ninja's were usually mountain farmers who just want some money and get in some dark clothes, sneak and get whatever they mean to come for.
However most Ninja attacks were unsuccessful. Mostly because they were spotted most of the time, Ninja's were very good at killing, but not as much in fighting, of course there are exceptions, but generally they were not. A Samurai was a warrior trained in warfare, If you pit a Ninja vs a samurai with no sneaking, the samurai would almost definately win. Truth is, ninja's just weren't as nimble as we would like them to be, they were feared because of little knowledge, some thought they were demons when they couldn't explain things, but once a Samurai sees hes just a man and its a fight, the ninja would usually flee or come to his doom.

Also think of it this way. The Samurai fights for not only his own life, but the lives of any people around him that could be in danger, the samurai would not accept defeat to this and fight extremely hard. The ninja is someon who wasn't expecting a face to face engagement and is in for money and probably petrified of the charging samurai.

Historically A samurai is more likely to win, however in some anime it may be the other way around.
"I mistrust the judgement of every man in a case in which his own wishes are concerned."- Field Marshal Arthur Wellesley
Omega52
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Re: The Samurai Vs. The Ninja

Unread postby Ralph&Drew » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:24 am

Samurai - loyalty, honor, obedience, duty, filial piety, self-sacrifice, honest, intelligent, great skills and have principles

Ninja - espionage, sabotage, infiltration, and assassination, as well as open combat in certain situations. The ninja, using covert methods of waging war, were contrasted with the samurai, who had strict rules about honor and combat.

hard to decide but I'll go for the samurai.
Kindness is the sweetest revenge.
ninja stars
Ralph&Drew
Tyro

Unread postby Tigger of Kai » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:29 pm

I think any type of warrior that fights according to a strict code, as the samurai did, is generally at a great disadvantage when facing less scrupulous foes. Plus, ninjas have poisoned throwing stars!
Mithril! The dwarves tell no tales. But just as it was the foundation of their wealth, so also it was their destruction. They delved too greedily and too deep, and disturbed that from which they fled.
Tigger of Kai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zhuanyong » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:51 pm

Also, there were those samurai who weren't above hiring ninja to do their dirty work. That was not uncommon for the era as well. I voted ninja because, their tactics though dishonorable to some got the job done when necessary.

If this were a thread about who was better then I would gladly select 'samurai' as their ethics were considered to some extent and in a one on one confrontation they would have the discipline to win a duel.

[No comment]
Zhuanyong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Kiheiji » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:12 pm

I can't believe people actually bring ninjato here. It's a Hollywood weapon.

http://forums.samurai-archives.com/viewtopic.php?t=182
Kiheiji
Tyro

PreviousNext

Return to World History Deliberation