The Samurai Vs. The Ninja

Discuss historical events and information concerning any culture, time, or location in our world (or even the frontier beyond).

Who Would Win?

Samurai
68%
Ninja
32%

Total votes : 63

Unread postby Cherry_Blossom » Fri May 02, 2003 3:37 am

I saw a show about this a while back..they basically talked a bit about the history of samurai and ninjas...they said that ninjas had been samurai. So indeed the fight would be interesting.

http://www.entertheninja.com/history.shtml This link has different takes on the orgins of ninjas.

http://www.northnet.org/americankangdukwon/samurai.html and a link that has a chronology about the samurai..and also some terms defined.

Finally Bilge http://www.factmonster.com/ce6/history/A0814499.html It tells you about the Daimyo.
Short version of a quote by Thales:
Of all things;God = most ancient;he is uncreated,Universe=most beautiful;God's work,Space=greatest;holds all,Swiftest=mind;speeds
everywhere,Strongest=necessity;masters all,Wisest=time; brings all things to light
Cherry_Blossom
Changshi

Unread postby Kül Tigin » Sat May 03, 2003 8:00 pm

Thanx ban wen and C_B :o
Admin of SHF
Kül Tigin
Khaghan of the Türüks

Unread postby Sun jian » Mon May 05, 2003 5:38 pm

They both have stealth, they both use swords(but ninjas use other weapons too), ninjas use han-to-hand while samurai uses a sword. I think that no matter how much a ninja hides when he finally comes out to strike the samurai will win cause one slice with a katana(in the right place) will make the ninja lose his advantage. It'll be a close fight though.
Sun jian
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Kül Tigin » Mon May 05, 2003 5:57 pm

Btw, were the Ninja also expert in archery?
Admin of SHF
Kül Tigin
Khaghan of the Türüks

Unread postby The Flavor Cat » Mon May 05, 2003 6:57 pm

I dont think so. Japanese longbows were often as tall as (if not larger than) an adult. Most ninjas preferred to use shuriken and blowguns (they dipped the needles in poison for extra effectiveness). They have less range than a bow, but they're considerably more accurate.

The samurai were (for the early periods at least) required to train in Kyodo (archery), however.
The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,
Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit
Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line,
Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
~ The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam
The Flavor Cat
Initiate

Location: In a garden where the North wind may scatter roses across the ground

Unread postby timon » Mon May 05, 2003 7:18 pm

i would agree with some of the posters, you would need to define the fighting field more precisely. as long as the ninja stays out of sight, i bet he/she would win. but once his/her cover is blown, bye bye ninja.

riddle me this .... was there ever an instance in history when a person is a samurai and a ninja at the same time?
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat drinking beer all day.
timon
Changshi

Unread postby The Flavor Cat » Tue May 06, 2003 3:55 am

I doubt it, Perze. Ninjas were taken from their families when they were babies to be trained in ninjitsu, whereas the Samurai required to care for their parents when they were adults.

And also, just a note, there were no female ninja (in fact, I think they were castrated, as well, but I'm not sure :shock:). Women became Geisha. They usually had the same duties, but the Geisha usually had it easier, since they didn't have to lurk in the shadows, and for the most part, looked just like normal courtesans.
The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,
Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit
Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line,
Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.
~ The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam
The Flavor Cat
Initiate

Location: In a garden where the North wind may scatter roses across the ground

Unread postby Zhao Yun of Changshan » Fri May 23, 2003 1:41 am

A Samuri is trained to seek death in battle, in other words, charge and attack with all their might. The ninja gives death, if the Samurai were to simply launch head on attacks then they would fall into the well devised schemes and skills of the ninja. On the other hand, if on an open battlefield the Samurai would dominate over the ninja with brute force. There are too many variables.
"None dare to engage the warrior at Dangyang....."
Zhao Yun of Changshan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Shao » Fri May 23, 2003 8:15 pm

it reminds me of the PC game, the Shogun: Total War... ninja can kill samurai and samurai can kill ninja too. BUT geisha can kill both. :mrgreen:

heya... one of movies from that game... one ninja tries to kill a mongolian invader. he shot at the invader's head while he's sleeping. but he missed. the invader woke up and killed ninja by throwing the Guan Yu's blade weapon through ninja's body.
Shao
Academic

Unread postby Zanbatou » Wed May 28, 2003 3:58 am

If we are talking multiple samurai vs. multiple ninja, the samurai win hands down. As a soldier, one must learn to cooperate with other soldiers on the battlefield in order to suceed. Conversley, a ninja generaly works alone for espionage and assasination missions as it is easier to conceal one person rather than two. Thus, the ninja are unused to teamwork while the samurai are trained in it.

On a side note, I think that the samuai corps also used spears and polarms, especially the mounted divisions.
--------------------------------------------------------
All right you primitive pinheads, listen up! You see this? This is my boomstick!
Zanbatou
Academic

PreviousNext

Return to World History Deliberation