The Time of the Scholars

Discuss historical events and information concerning any culture, time, or location in our world (or even the frontier beyond).

The Time of the Scholars

Unread postby musashika » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:49 pm

Greetings to everyone. I have just discovered this site and am glad to have done so. Thank you. I have some knowledge of China, old and new, but have questions to ask and I hope some here may help me find the anwers.

Several years ago I read a book on the Tao - I forget the author's name and the name of the book. He mentioned an event he called "The time of the scholars" in which many Taoists and Confucianists and others were killed in a great pogrom.
Is there anyone who can help me find out more about this event - or even if it is true, though I doubt the author was lying about it.
Thank you for your help in this matter.
Musashika.
musashika
Tyro

Re: The Time of the Scholars

Unread postby Sun Fin » Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:04 am

Welcome to the forum musashika, I find this site is a great place to ask my questions too!

I've never heard it referred to as 'the time of the scholars' before but I'm wondering if you mean the Burning of the Books and Burial of the Scholars?
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Re: The Time of the Scholars

Unread postby musashika » Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:40 pm

Thank you, Sun Fin. This is undoubtedly the event referred to in that book I read. I am grateful for your time and efforts here to assist me. Please feel free to call upon me for a like service in the future. Many thanks - and let me say once again that I am very glad to have found this site.
Musashika.
musashika
Tyro

Return to World History Deliberation