Which historical stories we're unfolding at the same time?

Discuss historical events and information concerning any culture, time, or location in our world (or even the frontier beyond).

Which historical stories we're unfolding at the same time?

Unread postby -zhoutai- » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:00 am

When we research/read about history, we are delving into the stories of one/two nations or one/two individuals. We focus so much on this one thing that we sometimes forget the world around this nation/individual is continuing and its own stories are unfolding.

It might just be my tiny mind, but I think its mind blowing that while the Han empire was at its height and decline the Roman empire had a similar curvature of power (I'm no expert but I'm under the impression Romes decay was alot more gradual, probably due to the fact there was a lack of finality that the mandate of heaven gives, anyway I'm rambling). Citizens of these two empires probably thought they were part of the most powerful nation in the world outright and by far and arguments can be made for both on a different thread.

Another parallel I can draw is, whilst England and France were quarrelling over relatively small amounts of land, on the other side of the world, unbeknownst to the western world the largest continuous empire the world would ever see was emerging.

I hope you think about what I've said and it stimulates your mind in the same way.

What other parallels can you draw ?

(I had serious trouble titling this thread)
-zhoutai-
Apprentice

Re: Which historical stories we're unfolding at the same tim

Unread postby Jebusrocks » Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:38 am

It's what happens when you have a world the size of ours :P

I'm not quite sure what you're getting at, just before Arab expansion, you had three Empires that existed, and interacted with each other eventually. These were the Byzantine Empire (from the Balkans to Syria), the Persian Empire (Mesopotamia to Afghanistan), and the Tang Dynasty.
It is curious that the Americans, who calculate so carefully on the possibilities of military victory, do not realize that in the process they are incurring deep psychological and political defeat.
Jebusrocks
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Return to World History Deliberation