Sun Tzu & Wu Qi

Discuss historical events and information concerning any culture, time, or location in our world (or even the frontier beyond).

Sun Tzu & Wu Qi

Unread postby JingKang » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:18 am

Extracted from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wu_Qi

"He and Sun Tzu are often listed in the same sentence (Sun-Wu,孙吴) as great military strategists."

My question is why are both of them listed in the same sentence? Is it purely coincidence or these surnames have a special affinity to each other?

For example, During the 3 kingdoms period, the eastern state of wu was also called Sun-Wu,孙吴.
JingKang
Apprentice

Re: Sun Tzu & Wu Qi

Unread postby TigerTally » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:19 pm

The main reason should be their biographies being put together in the same chapter by Sima Qian 司馬遷 in his Shiji 史記, or Records of the Grand Historian . Nonetheless, earlier occurences before Shiju can still be found, i.e. from Xunzi 荀子, Han Feizi 韓非子, and Lüshi Chunqiu 呂氏春秋. The mindset behind this combination should that they two are regarded as the two best strategists before Han.

The state was called only Wu by contemporary people. Sun-Wu is a term used by later scholars to differentiate it with many other states on history sharing that name. In fact, all cases of Sun-Wu in Sanguozhi 三國志 are referring to the duo instead of the state.
TigerTally
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Re: Sun Tzu & Wu Qi

Unread postby danieltubau » Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:25 pm

Maybe there is an error in the entry of Wikipedia.

I think is not (Sun-Wu,孙吴), but 孫吳 (Sun-Wu). Or 孫吳兵法 Sun-Wu bingfa ("The military strategies of Sun and Wu"). The first is simply the real name of Sunzi (Sun Wu)

What do you think?
danieltubau
Tyro

Return to World History Deliberation