History is written by the victor

Discuss historical events and information concerning any culture, time, or location in our world (or even the frontier beyond).

Re: History is written by the victor

Unread postby Iain » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:03 am

Kayzr wrote:True to a large extent I'd reckon.

The atrocities of the Allied nations in World War 2 (fire-bombing cities in Japan and Germany with, mass rape of German women by Soviet soldiers at the end of the war, etc.) go totally unmentioned in the history books and yet people are still lectured by the evils of Nazi Germany and, to a lesser extent, the Japanese Empire to this very day.
Well thanks to modern methods of finding information (like google and various war related forums) those kind of atrocities are being brought to the public eye more now I am an active reader of WW2 history and even today I find out something new I hadn't heard of before.
Iain
Lord of Nanchang

Unread postby Qin Feng » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:26 pm

That's common sense, after all, after destroying your enemies, you don't want them to have the sympathies of the conquered population, or any population for that matter. Julius Caesar already did that when he was alive, so go figure.

However something that I find quite interesting is that the Japanese tend to be quite sympathetic towards the defeated people in their history.
Qin Feng
Initiate

Unread postby SunXia » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:17 pm

Qin Feng wrote:However something that I find quite interesting is that the Japanese tend to be quite sympathetic towards the defeated people in their history.

Uhm I am quite sure that those living in Nanking in the 30s and Manila and Kalagong in the 40s, among others, might disagree with that statement.
If becoming enlightened or an intellectual means I must become arrogant and coldly cynical about the world around me then I'd gladly remain a fool for the rest of my life!!

I'm Out4Marriage!!!Are You??

It is a CHOICE!!
SunXia
Warrior Princess
Warrior Princess

Location: Keeping Evils from this world at bay...with a smile!!

Unread postby Sun Fin » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:35 pm

Qin Feng didn't necessarily mean in every case but certainly there is a trend of samurai's who failed but committed seppuku being honoured, even when on the losing side.

There are individuals in Western culture who I can think of being honoured for individual traits of steadfastness and loyalty, even onto death, but not in the same codified way as in Japan.
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Qin Feng » Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:03 pm

SunXia wrote:
Qin Feng wrote:However something that I find quite interesting is that the Japanese tend to be quite sympathetic towards the defeated people in their history.

Uhm I am quite sure that those living in Nanking in the 30s and Manila and Kalagong in the 40s, among others, might disagree with that statement.

Let me rephrase that. I find quite interesting that the Japanese tend to be quite sympathetic towards the defeated people in their history, so long as their Japanese too.
Qin Feng
Initiate

Previous

Return to World History Deliberation