Islam in China

Discuss historical events and information concerning any culture, time, or location in our world (or even the frontier beyond).

Re: Islam in China

Unread postby TooMuchBaijiu » Sun May 20, 2012 2:01 am

Writing about Zheng He (no typo) right now. If anyone has anything interesting on him, I'd love to know.

That said, he was Hui, right? I haven't found anything I'd consider concrete, and I'm kind of operating on
Han Chinese + Muslim = Hui. I'm pretty sure that's correct, but after reading one or two things about the Hui the classification process can be a lot more complicated than it should be...
I don't write fanfic, but if I did it would involve Zhou Yu and Zheng He fighting to win the heart of Lai Choi San. Then I'd make them join forces to fight Ming the Merciless, who secretly works for Master Li. I'd squeeze Lu Bu in there somehow.
TooMuchBaijiu
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby WeiWenDi » Sun May 20, 2012 6:56 pm

TooMuchBaijiu wrote:Writing about Zheng He (no typo) right now. If anyone has anything interesting on him, I'd love to know.

That said, he was Hui, right? I haven't found anything I'd consider concrete, and I'm kind of operating on
Han Chinese + Muslim = Hui. I'm pretty sure that's correct, but after reading one or two things about the Hui the classification process can be a lot more complicated than it should be...

Historically speaking, back when Zheng He was still around, I think you'd be right on the money (though, that said, Hui lineages can often trace themselves back to an Arabic or Persian ancestor who intermarried with local Chinese). But nowadays, by Chinese legal classifications, you're only Hui if one of your parents is Hui - it is an ethnic group rather than a religious one, and most Hui are atheists nowadays. One of my professors when I was in China was Hui, and he basically said that if your surname is Ma (馬), Tan (譚), Zheng (鄭) or Cai (蔡), chances are fairly good that you have Hui ancestry - all of these names were Sinicised from various common Arabic and Persian surnames (Ma comes from Mahmoud, for example).

Most of the Hui I've met only speak Chinese, go around with uncovered heads (men and women), and can put back alcohol like no tomorrow (and I mean baijiu, not Qingdao beer). My wife's maid of honour at our wedding was Hui, and she was certainly not the traditional type. On the other hand, nowadays you will find Hui who are increasingly observant - covering their heads, reading and writing in Arabic, practicing sharia and halal laws - there's a real range, I think.
Some more blood, Chekov. The needle won't hurt, Chekov. Take off your shirt, Chekov. Roll over, Chekov. Breathe deeply, Chekov. Blood sample, Chekov! Marrow sample, Chekov! Skin sample, Chekov! If I live long enough... I'm going to run out of samples.
WeiWenDi
Hedgehog Emperor

Unread postby TooMuchBaijiu » Sun May 20, 2012 9:55 pm

WeiWenDi wrote:it is an ethnic group rather than a religious one, and most Hui are atheists nowadays.

That right? I'd come across the idea that it was the other way around. Granted, the books I've read are a decade or two old, but I understand there's a pretty observant community in Xi'an, outside of Beijing, and in the northwest, where they're said to be the most conservative. Even the Hui around Quanzhou practiced Chinese folk rituals. I also don't think Hui tend to be atheists in Ningxia. That said, I also understand that Hui who move to the cities and live "outside the community" tend to be less religious.

But thanks for the confirm on Zheng He. Didn't want to write this thing and come across as an idiot on the first page.
I don't write fanfic, but if I did it would involve Zhou Yu and Zheng He fighting to win the heart of Lai Choi San. Then I'd make them join forces to fight Ming the Merciless, who secretly works for Master Li. I'd squeeze Lu Bu in there somehow.
TooMuchBaijiu
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Crazedmongoose » Mon May 21, 2012 6:24 am

Another famous Hui in China was of course Hai Rui, who famously tried to sort of impeach the Emperor.
Crazedmongoose
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby JHK » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:41 pm

It is very Good that The PRC encourages Harmony and Unity, and undoubtedly The PRC shares the same goals as Humanity does. There are many Historical Remnants which link the History of The East with The Lost Tribes of Israel as well as the Roots of Abraham. If we are able to establish these ties, we will be able to show that our History shares the same roots, and that we have the same goals.
JHK
Tyro

Unread postby Jordan » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:01 am

There are many Historical Remnants which link the History of The East with The Lost Tribes of Israel as well as the Roots of Abraham.

such as?

This sounds highly specious.
Jordan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Previous

Return to World History Deliberation