wholesale snow chain

Discuss historical events and information concerning any culture, time, or location in our world (or even the frontier beyond).

Re: wholesale snow chain

Unread postby Crazedmongoose » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:58 am

Hey admins

Before you delete this, just letting you know that you can stop a lot of these bots if you make forum posts attribute=nofollow.

Basically the bots and spammers doing this are trying to boost their search engine rankings. If you make forum posts all nofollow for google bots most of them will stop doing it.

PS. the reason I know about this is because I'm a web marketer
Crazedmongoose
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby TooMuchBaijiu » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:22 am

But dammit man, I wanted a snow chain! You ever try pushing a RWD down a hill?
I don't write fanfic, but if I did it would involve Zhou Yu and Zheng He fighting to win the heart of Lai Choi San. Then I'd make them join forces to fight Ming the Merciless, who secretly works for Master Li. I'd squeeze Lu Bu in there somehow.
TooMuchBaijiu
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby James » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:35 pm

Crazedmongoose wrote:Hey admins

Before you delete this, just letting you know that you can stop a lot of these bots if you make forum posts attribute=nofollow.

Basically the bots and spammers doing this are trying to boost their search engine rankings. If you make forum posts all nofollow for google bots most of them will stop doing it.

PS. the reason I know about this is because I'm a web marketer

In a logical world that would make sense, but from what we understand our bots come from two sources, and it can be difficult to differentiate between them in many cases: 1) Actual bots, in part or full, which manage to register and post despite our security features. 2) Actual humans, who sign up regularly and actually post content (it seems absurd until someone considers that there are many countries where human labor is cheap enough for this to be viable and profitable). It probably goes without saying that #1, designed around the default installation of a given board's software, doesn't care about a custom modification to embed rel="nofollow" attributes in links. It is highly probable that #2 also doesn't stop to check for this thing due to the fact it is abnormal on the forum software they're targeting. It probably also doesn't make sense given a spam post to a rel="nofollow" enabled forum probably doesn't factor into their pay model.

That said, there are some negative drawbacks to such an implementation. It would mean that the links legitimate members post would not distribute page rank to the target locations. This would reduce page rank sharing between posts on Scholars of Shen Zhou, Scholars of Shen Zhou and Kongming's Archives, and it would also reduce page rank sharing between Scholars of Shen Zhou and actual member websites or legitimate community resources. I figure if a member is going to participate in the forum it is my pleasure to allow the link in their signature, or the favorite websites they highlight in content, to receive some page rank from this website. And the bummer, here, is that page rank is lost to all links on a page regardless of whether they have a rel="nofollow" attribute. Gone are the days where rel="nofollow" means more page rank distribution for other links on the same page—rel="nofollow" is now a page rank black hole.

The compromise would be to slap rel="nofollow" on only new member posts based on the member's total post count, but if I'm going to go through that fuss, it might be easier, and more efficient, to simply strip away a new member's ability to post an actual clickable link at all.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Sun Fin » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:40 pm

James wrote:The compromise would be to slap rel="nofollow" on only new member posts based on the member's total post count, but if I'm going to go through that fuss, it might be easier, and more efficient, to simply strip away a new member's ability to post an actual clickable link at all.

I suggested that nearly a year ago as it was a policy I put in place as a webmaster, I think its the best method personally.
Interested in the history behind the novel? Find a list of english language Three Kingdom sources here.
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby James » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:46 pm

Sun Fin wrote:I suggested that nearly a year ago as it was a policy I put in place as a webmaster, I think its the best method personally.

Which? Stripping the ability to post links?

It may be worth doing. I usually hesitate to do things which actually punish good members, though. It may be that the inability to post new links might not actually prevent new members from communicating their ideas.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Sun Fin » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:02 pm

James wrote:
Sun Fin wrote:I suggested that nearly a year ago as it was a policy I put in place as a webmaster, I think its the best method personally.

Which? Stripping the ability to post links?

It may be worth doing. I usually hesitate to do things which actually punish good members, though. It may be that the inability to post new links might not actually prevent new members from communicating their ideas.

Yeah, I don't think it will put people off, I mean so what if you can't post a link for 10 posts or so, or until an Admin validates your membership after you've proven to actually contribute to discussion. The only people likely to be put off by that are people who are only there to advertise!
Interested in the history behind the novel? Find a list of english language Three Kingdom sources here.
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Liao Ce » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:30 pm

I personally like the links given on some threads, especially the music threads. I would hate to see members no longer able to give you-tube links for music and such. It would be somewhat like punishing the forum members because of a minor annoyance.
Liao Ce
Academic

Unread postby Sun Fin » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:35 pm

Liao Ce wrote:I personally like the links given on some threads, especially the music threads. I would hate to see members no longer able to give you-tube links for music and such. It would be somewhat like punishing the forum members because of a minor annoyance.

It won't stop that, it only means new members can't post links as soon as they join. They'll either have to make a certain number of posts first or wait for an admin to change their status once they've proven to be a constructive member.
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Crazedmongoose » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:51 pm

Not even that, it will mean that new members aren't able to post links which pass on "SEO link juice". They'll still be able to post links.

Anyway, what James' said makes sense so fair enough.
Crazedmongoose
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Return to World History Deliberation