Ancient Maps.

Discuss historical events and information concerning any culture, time, or location in our world (or even the frontier beyond).

Ancient Maps.

Unread postby Shi Tong » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:36 pm

Hello,

I dunno why, but I've gone on the hunt today for ancient maps.... in particular, Three Kingdoms Chinese maps. I've found some really interesting maps which I thought people might want to see!!

Three Kingdoms Map

Warring States.
What I find really interesting about this Warring States map is that there are different names for different parts of the Great Wall (Zhao, Tai, Wei and others that I can't read). Not sure what that was all about, (probably erected in defense of the other states) but fascinating nonetheless!

Anyway.. could spend hours pouring over these

Enjoy!
Shi Tong
Stupid Egg of Shen Zhou

Re: Ancient Maps.

Unread postby Liu Yuante » Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:14 am

Shi Tong wrote:Hello,

I dunno why, but I've gone on the hunt today for ancient maps.... in particular, Three Kingdoms Chinese maps. I've found some really interesting maps which I thought people might want to see!!

Three Kingdoms Map

Warring States.
What I find really interesting about this Warring States map is that there are different names for different parts of the Great Wall (Zhao, Tai, Wei and others that I can't read). Not sure what that was all about, (probably erected in defense of the other states) but fascinating nonetheless!

Anyway.. could spend hours pouring over these

Enjoy!

For some reason those links aren't working for me :/

Different parts of the Great Wall were built at different times and some sections were rebuilt and
refortified over time, so that may have something to do with the different names. I remember when
I was translating the biography of the Marquis Rang of Qin that I had to spend a lot of time with
Warring States-era Chinese maps in order to understand the geography of what was going on.

Adrian
Liu Yuante
绯红王

Return to World History Deliberation