Records of the Three Kingdoms in English, online for free

Discuss historical events and information concerning any culture, time, or location in our world (or even the frontier beyond).

Records of the Three Kingdoms in English, online for free

Unread postby Polisny » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:22 am

Hi, I research and have found excerpts of The Records of the Three Kingdoms around the internet but never the translation itself. There probably isn't one online for free, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Thank you,
(awesome site, by the way)
Justin
Polisny
Tyro

Re: Records of the Three Kingdoms in English, online for free

Unread postby Lady Wu » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:57 am

You mean the historical record by Chen Shou (Sanguozhi)?

As far as we know there is no complete translation of it published in English. :(
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
Melty the Snowman
Melty the Snowman

Unread postby Polisny » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:43 pm

Lady Wu wrote:You mean the historical record by Chen Shou (Sanguozhi)?

As far as we know there is no complete translation of it published in English. :(

Why would calling it The Records of the Three Kingdoms be but an exonym, versus a wrong title?

If anyone is interested in the Chinese descriptions of the ancient people of Wa, known as the Yayoi in English, (the ancient Japanese), here is an English translation of the Wei Zhi.

http://www2.u-netsurf.ne.jp/~kojin/e-wajinden.html

And, if anyone would like an English translation of The History of the Former Han Dynasty,

http://e-asia.uoregon.edu/homer/

All the best.
Polisny
Tyro

Unread postby Lady Wu » Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:50 pm

Heh, I just wanted to make sure, because the same thing can be translated in multiple ways.

We actually have a thread for Useful Online Resources. Perhaps you can share what you found there?

And here's a thread on English books that deal with the Latter Han and/or RTK.
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
Melty the Snowman
Melty the Snowman

Re: Records of the Three Kingdoms in English, online for fre

Unread postby Yutaka Hazuki » Wed May 08, 2013 9:30 pm

I have a Japanese translation of this in 8 volumes. Volume 8 has an index at the end where you can look up the names of people and it notes every single page in every single volume where that person is mentioned. The information is very insightful and interesting.

I am currently looking for an English translation of the same books (Record of the Three Kingdoms), but haven't had any luck.

To discuss ROTK in English I have to look up names and places in Japanese Internet, then copy paste and convert them into the correct phonetics in alphabet using a pinyin converter. I can read the names and places (in Japanese phonetics) but cannot type them because my far east language kit doesn't contain many of the characters.

When I was doing research on Cáo Zhí, I found Japanese translations of all the classical Chinese poets in 18 volumes including one book with the poems of Cáo Zhí. This book is out of print. I found it at a second hand book store. There is also a useful book in English if you need information on this particular person: Classical, Modern and Humane - Essays in Chinese Literature by David Hawkes. I also obtained copies of an out of print book in Japanese on Cáo Zhí from Shueisha Publishing with permission from the author.

I wish it were easier to find the English equivalents for some of these, but sometimes it's just easier for me to read the Japanese text because the original Chinese characters can be used, and although the phonetics are different, I can see them and they make sense to me.

Anyway, if anyone ever discovers an English copy of the Records of the Three Kingdoms, please share the information. I will pay for my copies if they are available.
Yutaka Hazuki
Tyro

Return to World History Deliberation