Is there a translation available of the History of Yuan?

Discuss historical events and information concerning any culture, time, or location in our world (or even the frontier beyond).

Is there a translation available of the History of Yuan?

Unread postby talon1579 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:12 pm

Questions in the title. Thanks for help.
talon1579
Changshi

Re: Is there a translation available of the History of Yuan?

Unread postby Mike » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:42 pm

If you mean a full English translation of Yuanshi (元史), then no. I think you may be able to find a few chapters translated in general anthologies on the Yuan dynasty.
Mike
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Re: Is there a translation available of the History of Yuan?

Unread postby Elven Fury » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:54 pm

Unfortunately no, there is not. My undergrad thesis was on the Mongol Military, including their campaigns up to the fall of Kaifeng, and an analysis of the early Yuan government (as well as campaigns in Russia, and their admin there). The Yuanshi would have been my shining source, but unfortunately there were no complete translations. Authors such as Timothy May, de Hartog, as well as several others have cited it often in their works, allowing one to get a grip on the early Yuan, and make some educated remarks based on them. Perhaps one day I will finally get around to finishing learning to translate old Chinese and the answer will be yes. (But given my attention span, this won't be for a while :P )
It is important to draw wisdom from many different places. If we take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale. Understanding others - other people, other beliefs, and other nations - will help you become whole.
Elven Fury
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Return to World History Deliberation