Important families and characters in China

Discuss historical events and information concerning any culture, time, or location in our world (or even the frontier beyond).

Important families and characters in China

Unread postby Tao Qian » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:37 pm

Hello, I don´t know exactly is this the place to this post, sorry if I´ve done a mistake.

I am designing a board game based in the history of China, I think that I will call it "Lord of Heaven", it suppose for 3-6 players, every player using a famous chinese family and also there are ten independent characters, that I want to be famous characters of chinese history (not emperors or daoist rebels) with a minimun realtion with war. It sounded great until I discovered that I don´t know the Chinese history as well as I thought. Can you help me, please? I was thinking in this:

Families: Yuan and Liu (I need four more)
Characters: Lu Bu, Guan Yu, Sun Tzu, Koxinga, An Lushan, Shang Yang (I need four more)

If my selection is bad, you can tell me too. Every help will be welcome :) .

Thanks a lot
Tao Qian
Assistant

Re: Important families and characters in China

Unread postby Crazedmongoose » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:16 am

Well you've focused a spectacularly large quota on Three Kingdoms for one.

But Chinese history is ridiculously long, there isn't a single family which stays prominent for more than a dynasty or two.
Crazedmongoose
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Tao Qian » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:10 pm

Thanks for the comment. Yes, I know that Chinese history is long, maybe is better that I just invent the families...

I've focused in the Three Kingdoms era because is the one that I better know. Anyway do you know any really important character that could be in the list?

Thanks a lot
Tao Qian
Assistant

Unread postby Jordan » Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:19 am

I think you would be better off focusing the board game on a specific period. If you don't want to do the Three Kingdoms, you don't have to (conversely you could easily do a three kingdoms clan-based game if you wanted). China was subject to a great many civil wars over its history.

If you want to keep it broad, I would suggest taking the dynasty names throughout Chinese history instead, and pitting them against one another (or at least their founders) in an anachronistic Civilization style. A roster like that could potentially consist of Liu Bang, Zhu Di, Kublai Khan, Li Yuan, etc.

I do like the idea though. Any ideas on how it would play out?
Jordan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Tao Qian » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:59 pm

Thanks for the interest. I couldn´t reply because I am really busy.

The idea is a game of cooperation and fight between the players. Every player will have 4 characters, and one character should be chosen as Emperor in a votation system based in the provinces that they have conquered inside China and the cargoes that the characters obtains. The emperor should rule the country with the players, and defend it of the attacks of mongols, japanese... etc or decide to attack this countries or anothers, making laws, forbid commerce... etc. Everything in votations with the other players.

The objective of the game is becoming the real emperor, conquering the biggest part of China or obtaining enough power with one of his characters and taking the capitol.

I think that I will call it "Lord of Heaven"

What do you think about it?
Tao Qian
Assistant

Unread postby Rick Shaw » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:48 am

If you're going to do it with the history of China, I would suggest something along these lines...

Families: Ying, Liu, Li, Zhu, Ji, and Sima.
These are the names of the Imperial Clans from the 'founding' dynasty of Qin and the 4 longest dynasties of Han, Tang, and Ming, as well as two of the more prominent dynasties of Zhou, and Jin, all respectively.

As for the characters I would suggest the following, using some of the one's you've already looked at...
1. Sun Tzu (Spring and Autumn Period)
2. Guan Yu (Three Kingdoms Era)
3. Zheng Chenggong/Koxinga (Ming Dynasty)
4. An Lushan (Tang Dynasty)
5. Shang Yang (Warring States Era)
6. Liu Ji (Yuan Dynasty)
7. Yue Fei (Song Dynasty)
8. Song Jiang (Song Dynasty)
9. Xiang Yu (Qin Dynasty)
10. Lin Zexu (Qing Dynasty)

That would encompass a pretty good system of China's history. And of course Guan Yu can be replaced by Lu Bu if you would prefer not to create a Wei/Shu/Wu debate. :)
Interested in (Pseudo)Historical Fiction stories? Want to read about Ancient Chinese Heroes, Tragic Valkyries, Rambunctious Squires, and Frenetic Mercenaries? Just interested in the real-life travails of a police detective?
~Rick Shaw: Redefining History
Rick Shaw
Apprentice

Unread postby Tao Qian » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:49 pm

Hi,

Just to tell, that I´m beginning to test the game, here is a picture of the board that I´ve drawn.
Board2.JPG
Board2.JPG (151.17 KiB) Viewed 1774 times
Tao Qian
Assistant

Unread postby Jordan » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:07 pm

I realize I'm a little late, but I really like the map you drew. Good job!
Jordan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Tao Qian » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:23 pm

Sorry I didn´t answer I was outside this week.

Thank you, I'm not sure with the names of some regions and still there is a lot of job and testing to do, but I hope that the game will be nice :D .
Tao Qian
Assistant

Return to World History Deliberation