Hyperpowers

Discuss historical events and information concerning any culture, time, or location in our world (or even the frontier beyond).

The Greatest Hyperpower of their time

The British Empire (18th- early 20th century)
24%
The German Empire (Either First or Third Reich)
No votes
The United States of America (1960s-today)
24%
The Mongolian Empire (Pax Mongolica)
33%
The Roman Empire (Pax Romana)
14%
The Hapsburgs (Medieval Era-Reformation)
No votes
The Tang Dynasty (600-800)
No votes
The Arabain Caliphs (600-900)
5%
The Ottoman Empire (16th-18century)
No votes

Total votes : 21

Re: Hyperpowers

Unread postby mrwongshappymushu » Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:43 pm

WeiWenDi wrote:
mrwongshappymushu wrote:Mongols, even the most distant branches of their lineage ( The Huns ) were famed as an unstoppable milltary force, even against the powerful Roman Empire

Eeeehh... careful. The Xiongnu Empire was active about the same time as the Han Dynasty (roughly 200 BC - 200 AD). They were present in the area now called Mongolia, true, but they also undertook a massive Völkerwanderung after that, as their empire began to split in half. The Southern Xiongnu, if I'm recalling right, were for the most part assimilated into the Han ethnicity, while the Northern Xiongnu kept migrating westward as they were pushed out by the political pressure of the Hans and by various environmental pressures (in many accounts then becoming the Huns). Their descendants are far-flung, and can be found (again, in many accounts) among the Bulgarians, the Chuvash, the Tatars, the Kazakhs, the Kyrgyz, the Turkmens, the Uyghurs and other Central Asian Turkic peoples.

The Mongols of the Pax Mongolica, however, didn't really appear as such until the late 1100's and early 1200's, and were descended from the Wuhuan and Xianbei, subject peoples of the Xiongnu Empire (so they do share that common factor).

thanks you for the correction :shock: but still, i find it was lack of social and political organization, only the genius's of China have come out victorious against WuHuan, XianBei etc.
mrwongshappymushu
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby WeiWenDi » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:47 am

mrwongshappymushu wrote:
WeiWenDi wrote:
mrwongshappymushu wrote:Mongols, even the most distant branches of their lineage ( The Huns ) were famed as an unstoppable milltary force, even against the powerful Roman Empire

Eeeehh... careful. The Xiongnu Empire was active about the same time as the Han Dynasty (roughly 200 BC - 200 AD). They were present in the area now called Mongolia, true, but they also undertook a massive Völkerwanderung after that, as their empire began to split in half. The Southern Xiongnu, if I'm recalling right, were for the most part assimilated into the Han ethnicity, while the Northern Xiongnu kept migrating westward as they were pushed out by the political pressure of the Hans and by various environmental pressures (in many accounts then becoming the Huns). Their descendants are far-flung, and can be found (again, in many accounts) among the Bulgarians, the Chuvash, the Tatars, the Kazakhs, the Kyrgyz, the Turkmens, the Uyghurs and other Central Asian Turkic peoples.

The Mongols of the Pax Mongolica, however, didn't really appear as such until the late 1100's and early 1200's, and were descended from the Wuhuan and Xianbei, subject peoples of the Xiongnu Empire (so they do share that common factor).

thanks you for the correction :shock: but still, i find it was lack of social and political organization, only the genius's of China have come out victorious against WuHuan, XianBei etc.

Oh, certainly. I think it is a tribute to the strength of their civilisation and culture that they have been able to weather even extended periods of foreign rule and indeed assimilate their foreign rulers (as with the primogenitors of the Tang).
Some more blood, Chekov. The needle won't hurt, Chekov. Take off your shirt, Chekov. Roll over, Chekov. Breathe deeply, Chekov. Blood sample, Chekov! Marrow sample, Chekov! Skin sample, Chekov! If I live long enough... I'm going to run out of samples.
WeiWenDi
Hedgehog Emperor

Unread postby mrwongshappymushu » Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:04 am

Oh, certainly. I think it is a tribute to the strength of their civilisation and culture that they have been able to weather even extended periods of foreign rule and indeed assimilate their foreign rulers (as with the primogenitors of the Tang).

Agreed, The Mongols were absolute war machines, despite the barbarian stereotype, the had brains, quite a bit too, especially with the messanger system created by Ghengis himself :wink:
mrwongshappymushu
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Kayzr » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:08 pm

The Roman Empire.
Let us begin with Zeus, whom we mortals never leave unspoken.
For every street, every market-place is full of Zeus.
Even the sea and the harbour are full of this deity.
Everywhere everyone is indebted to Zeus.
For we are indeed his offspring.
Kayzr
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Previous

Return to World History Deliberation