Military and Politics

Discuss historical events and information concerning any culture, time, or location in our world (or even the frontier beyond).

Re: Military and Politics

Unread postby Human5 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:06 pm

i believe you are over exaggerating the powers of US. Destroying china 100 times is like bombing the whole surface of earth, including water, over 10 times!!!
Crazedmongoose wrote:What you have to understand is the separation between conventional military capabilities and nuclear military capabilities.

The thing about nuclear is that weak or strong, they're still able to destroy a large part or most of your nation.

So America has about 20,000 nuclear weapons, incl the dreaded Hydrogen bombs. And very advanced delivery systems like ICBMs, which cannot be blocked, long range bombers and advanced nuclear subs which can strike anywhere in the world.

China has 400 nuclear weapons, of inferior quality to America. They have average delivery systems (Long Range Conventional Missiles which launch up to 16 separate warheads) which has a chance of being blocked, no real long range bomber as far as I know, and diesel subs.

In the event of a nuclear war, America can destroy China like 100 times over, until not a single tree is left alive in China, let alone human.

China can destroy 20 of America's largest cities, killing about 30 million+ people. Destroy most of America's commerce, military, infrastructure, communication and agricultural systems. America's entire government, and cause irreversibly environmental damage via fallout and for generations affect over half of America with diseases. America would become an unlivable hellhole and certainly no longer a world power. But yeah, over half of America would still be alive.

Is that even a victory? What have you won? The other nation is destroyed completely, the entire race even, but America is finished.

So that's the point of nuclear weapons. It's an equalizer to unequal military strength.
Human5
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby devtherev » Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:14 pm

Human5 wrote:i believe you are over exaggerating the powers of US. Destroying china 100 times is like bombing the whole surface of earth, including water, over 10 times!!!

No I beleive you're over exagerating China's land-mass :lol:
devtherev
Scholar

Unread postby Xia Kyoto » Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:03 pm

Human5 wrote:i believe you are over exaggerating the powers of US. Destroying china 100 times is like bombing the whole surface of earth, including water, over 10 times!!!
Crazedmongoose wrote:What you have to understand is the separation between conventional military capabilities and nuclear military capabilities.

The thing about nuclear is that weak or strong, they're still able to destroy a large part or most of your nation.

So America has about 20,000 nuclear weapons, incl the dreaded Hydrogen bombs. And very advanced delivery systems like ICBMs, which cannot be blocked, long range bombers and advanced nuclear subs which can strike anywhere in the world.

China has 400 nuclear weapons, of inferior quality to America. They have average delivery systems (Long Range Conventional Missiles which launch up to 16 separate warheads) which has a chance of being blocked, no real long range bomber as far as I know, and diesel subs.

In the event of a nuclear war, America can destroy China like 100 times over, until not a single tree is left alive in China, let alone human.

China can destroy 20 of America's largest cities, killing about 30 million+ people. Destroy most of America's commerce, military, infrastructure, communication and agricultural systems. America's entire government, and cause irreversibly environmental damage via fallout and for generations affect over half of America with diseases. America would become an unlivable hellhole and certainly no longer a world power. But yeah, over half of America would still be alive.

Is that even a victory? What have you won? The other nation is destroyed completely, the entire race even, but America is finished.

So that's the point of nuclear weapons. It's an equalizer to unequal military strength.

Human5, we have enough nuclear weapons to destory ourselfs, meaning planet Earth, countless times. Therefore we can also destory say..China, or even the biggest continent; Russia a hundred times over.
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.. and if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." - Nietzsche
Xia Kyoto
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Mestre Will » Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:29 am

Some scientist say that 3 modern Nuclear bombs in the right places can destroy the Earth. Then in realy they can destroy not only Russia or China many and many times but also the Earth , that make us think about "evil groups", if this "evil groups" can manage to get 3 nuclear bombs (moderns) then they can threaten the Big countrys to pay or they destroy the earth ,logically committing suicide also.
Knowledge is achieved with time, but Intelligence is born with it or without it. - Mestre Will
Mestre Will
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Xia Kyoto » Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:49 am

Mestre Will wrote:Some scientist say that 3 modern Nuclear bombs in the right places can destroy the Earth. Then in realy they can destroy not only Russia or China many and many times but also the Earth , that make us think about "evil groups", if this "evil groups" can manage to get 3 nuclear bombs (moderns) then they can threaten the Big countrys to pay or they destroy the earth ,logically committing suicide also.

In other words, a terrorist.
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.. and if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." - Nietzsche
Xia Kyoto
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby agga » Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:54 am

one thermonuclear weapon is enough to destroy a city and much of its surround. add to this that the dust kicked up by a nuclear explosion is radioactive, and affects downwind areas (e.g. water, food supplies). the US (and Russia) has thousands of nuclear weapons. if only a percentage of these hit their targets, then yes, any country on earth could be completely destroyed in a nuclear war. the rest of the planet would also be affected. it's hard to imagine just how bad it would be.

also, i don't think 3 nukes could destroy the earth. that sounds like a bad sci-fi movie.
造反有理!
agga
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Xia Kyoto » Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:56 am

agga wrote:

one thermonuclear weapon is enough to destroy a city and much of its surround. add to this that the dust kicked up by a nuclear explosion is radioactive, and affects downwind areas (e.g. water, food supplies). the US (and Russia) has thousands of nuclear weapons. if only a percentage of these hit their targets, then yes, any country on earth could be completely destroyed in a nuclear war. the rest of the planet would also be affected. it's hard to imagine just how bad it would be.

also, i don't think 3 nukes could destroy the earth. that sounds like a bad sci-fi movie.

When placed, in the right places.
Xia Kyoto
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Mestre Will » Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:31 am

Xia Kyoto wrote:
In other words, a terrorist.

Yes and no yes, they can be a country too.Also i think blow up the earth is kinda crazy and retarded idea,however i think never somes like Al-Qaeda will make it because destroi earth is also destroi a lot of they temples and holy places that they like so much, however bomb the Artic to destroy the ice and make oceans up and make they radioative is something bad that some evil faction can think about, also something that is a fusion of Military and Politic is the Inteligence sector of a country.
Knowledge is achieved with time, but Intelligence is born with it or without it. - Mestre Will
Mestre Will
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lord Yang Jiahua » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:57 pm

Allow me to place something...
Zhuge Liang and Sun Tzu both wrote a general in the field does not have to follow certain(unreasonable) commands from the civilian ruler. Thats not possible now, but it seems that the ancients understood that there has to be a degree of political and millatary separation. (i hope im not repeating an arguement if i am im sorry!!!)
Yet seriously, now people can get convinced about the war is wrong without political leaders analyzing the effects it has directly on the people. Bring the troops home, seems like one of the only major reasons people dont like the wars where's the rest?? at least this is my opinion, need to recheck facts abit.war is wrong yes it verily is, but one reason isnt convincing on the political side i say.
"We Will Show Wu The Meaning of Fear!"-Cao Cao in DW6
"Politicians Are all the same all over, They Promise to build a bridge even when theres no river"-Nikita Khrushchev
Lord Yang Jiahua
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby princeherry » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:03 am

A "Nonpartisan political activity is defined as "activity supporting or relating to candidates not representing, or issues not specifically identified with, national or State political parties and associated or ancillary organizations. Issues relating to constitutional amendments, referendums, approval of municipal ordinances, and others of similar character are not considered as specifically being identified with national or State political parties."

The military wants its personnel to participate in our democratic process -- within limits. DOD encourages active duty military members to vote, and has established several programs to help active duty personnel to register and cast absentee ballots. What career military officer or senior NCO has never had to pull a stint as unit "voting officer," or "voting NCO?" But, when it comes to actively campaigning for a specific political candidate or partisan objective, the military draws the line.

It should be noted that these prohibitions do not apply to members of the National Guard or Reserves, unless they are currently serving on active duty. For the purposes of political activity restrictions, DoD defines active duty as: Full-time duty in the active military service of the United States regardless of duration or purpose, including:
princeherry
Tyro

Previous

Return to World History Deliberation