Military and Politics

Discuss historical events and information concerning any culture, time, or location in our world (or even the frontier beyond).

Military and Politics

Unread postby Jebusrocks » Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:42 am

Most military strategists such as Sun Tzu, Wu Qi, Clausewitz, and even Suvorov (whose latter career had no political support watsoever) have suggested that victories in war come from excellent preparation in part of political organization and readiness.

Excellent generals like Prince de Conde, Hannibal, John Churchill, etc. despite their brilliance in the field, against a much more well-organized army under Turenne, the Senate, and Claude de Villars. It is often politicians with excellent organization that carve out empires, such as that of Phillip II of Macedon, Ts'ao Ts'ao, Augustus, Suleymain, Qin Shi Huang, and so forth, while generals who depended purely on military ability fell into chaos.

What are your opinions? Do you believe that wars are won by the organizers or the generals?
It is curious that the Americans, who calculate so carefully on the possibilities of military victory, do not realize that in the process they are incurring deep psychological and political defeat.
Jebusrocks
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Re: Military and Politics

Unread postby WuLordoftheNewAge » Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:02 am

I believe the wars are one by the Generals who plan the attacks, rather than the politicians who declare the wars.
Pang Tong: So I wonder what this place is called?
Sign by road: "Place where Pang Tong gets killed"
Pang Tong: Hmmm... I have a bad feeling about this place...

On Fallen Phoenix Slope.
WuLordoftheNewAge
Langzhong

Unread postby mrbeate » Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:17 am

I think you need a mixture of both. You cannot win with just brute force, and you can't win with only politics.
Well maybe you can win with politics, in some cases.
Smoke, drink, relieve my stress
mrbeate
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Pierre Beauregard » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:37 am

he is right but the polticians should keep the popution of the country sprits and moral hign and let the geenrals hendly the planning and fighting.
Louisiana Tigers
Pierre Beauregard
Initiate

Unread postby Sun Fin » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:27 am

You need both. If you don't have political stability then your home kingdom is likely to rebel and you'll find yourself fighting on hundreds of fronts as you have to spread your forces out other a huge area.

The only exception is Genghis Khan and even he wasn't completely politically inept.
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Human5 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:36 pm

which country has the grestest military?
Human5
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Xia Kyoto » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:43 pm

The country with the greatest military, and no im not just guessing or giving an opinion, is America. However, the country with the biggest military is probably China, from what i heard, America's militiary numbers in the couple millions, seeing as though its population is only around 300 million. China's military, or all together military force, numbers around one billion, thats what i heard anyway, and their population is around 3 billion.

However, America's military is supposedly the best trained, while China's military is supposedly the least trained. Fair enough?

I mean, i think it would be pretty hard trying to teach a Billion man army. Of course we think of the Ming Dynasty and other Chinese Dynasty's and such and they have a million man army, or sometimes more, but usually no more then 5 million.

But going from a million man army to a billion man army. This is very...you get my point.
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.. and if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." - Nietzsche
Xia Kyoto
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:08 pm

The US army is better trained than any whole army. However for the British elite unit the SAS is the best set of crack troops in the world. At least thats what us Brits believe.

I wouldn't wanna go up against the Isreali military either to be honest.
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Mestre Will » Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:21 pm

For my to plan a War the politics and to win the war Military, first the politic is made and use to see if they need a war, if they can win, if they can pay the war, and them in the war the militaries are the stars not politics.

Anyway i see anywhere people say :" uh, US army is the best of world , the best trained." I see the point , i agree with part of this however i say something we from Brazil know: "In the Jungle or florest we are the Best, even the US dont have a chance" and i also see very much people say : "But US style of war is much cowardy , they bombard the place much and much then they send a army to fight the poor suvivors" yeah in some way i agree with this too.
Knowledge is achieved with time, but Intelligence is born with it or without it. - Mestre Will
Mestre Will
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Xia Kyoto » Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:31 pm

Mestre Will wrote:For my to plan a War the politics and to win the war Military, first the politic is made and use to see if they need a war, if they can win, if they can pay the war, and them in the war the militaries are the stars not politics.

Anyway i see anywhere people say :" uh, US army is the best of world , the best trained." I see the point , i agree with part of this however i say something we from Brazil know: "In the Jungle or florest we are the Best, even the US dont have a chance" and i also see very much people say : "But US style of war is much cowardy , they bombard the place much and much then they send a army to fight the poor suvivors" yeah in some way i agree with this too.

If the situation becomes really drastic; Saving over 100,000 troop lives by quickly ending a war with bombs is not cowardly in any way (Vietnam war and the war with Japan). Were saving our troops. However, the bad side is it can effect civilians. Maybe American troops arent the best in 100 degree jungles or 'florest' as you said, but theyre pretty good in any terrain. Vietnam was America's first rain forest war, and we lost badly though because of ambushes and being confused on who the enemy was. An idiot leader for a president dosent help either. As for the current desert war, id say where doing alright. Of course if your troops are raised in the 'florest' or forest as i like to call it, naturally, their going to be 'The best' in that kind of terrain.
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.. and if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." - Nietzsche
Xia Kyoto
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Next

Return to World History Deliberation