Is space colonization impossible??

Discuss historical events and information concerning any culture, time, or location in our world (or even the frontier beyond).

Is space colonization impossible??

Unread postby char aznable » Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:08 am

yes my gundam fanboyism is kicking in i just had to ask.....but do any of you think its possible that one day we can live in space coloneys???? nasa announced that as a long term goal butim haveing doubts to whether or not its entirely possible.
char aznable
Apprentice

Re: is space colinazation impossible??

Unread postby James » Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:14 am

Sure, it would definitely be possible.

A thought occurred to me the other day, though. How on earth would these colonies be protected from meteors? That would be a pretty nasty obstacle to overcome without the benefit of an atmosphere like earth’s. Sort of makes those glass bubble looking concepts seem a little silly. But when you look at the big picture, that's just probably one small concern out of many.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby char aznable » Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:19 am

well, would it be possible to creat a type of netting to "capture" these gient rocks, or we can try to do what they actually do in gundam, witch is send a ship over to it (a mecha in there case but i dont think we will ever create those) and latch nuclear thrusters to the meteor and send it the other way.
char aznable
Apprentice

Unread postby James » Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:07 am

char aznable wrote:well, would it be possible to creat a type of netting to "capture" these gient rocks

The odds of that working are roughly equivalent to your odds of personally convincing PETA to financially sponsor KFC.

char aznable wrote:or we can try to do what they actually do in gundam, witch is send a ship over to it (a mecha in there case but i dont think we will ever create those) and latch nuclear thrusters to the meteor and send it the other way.

That probably won't work out either, unless your mecha can navigate at extremely fast speeds in space. By the time an astroid enters our own atmosphere we've got a matter of seconds (or less) until it strikes the earth. Consider for a moment how fast that is. On another planet it won't be facing that same level of resistance, nor will it be shrinking as it burns down toward the surface. If we've got the technology to create a mecha that can do something about that, colonization of another planet is probably no big thang. :pika:
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby char aznable » Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:15 am

:lol: well i can always dream of a day we have a mecha, but i was thinking, wouldnt a colony that is launched into space (or built in space) orbit earth??? and kinda twirl around with it (of course we should make it always go the same direction as the moon to avoid collision)i guess the only way to get rid of that meteor though is to nuke it with a missle :lol: seems to be the biggest solution these daysthen we need a back up plan for all the debree unless we can somehow (and pray) that if we shoot a rocket strong enough to maybe "push" the meteorite off its course. its not just the coloneys problem though of a meteor the proble mis it can just kill everyone blow right through the colone yand hit earth and just kill everyone in one shot :twisted:
char aznable
Apprentice

Re: Is space colonization impossible??

Unread postby Lady Wu » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:24 am

The question is, what are the economic benefits to maintaining a space colony? It's going to be darned expensive to keep one going, so there has better be good money to be made there that can't be made on earth.
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Unread postby Zhao Yun of Changshan » Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:33 am

Hopefully by the time we have colonies up the world will have new priorities and a different political and economical climate. I would hope that colonies are a solution to overpopulation and as such people see it as almost a necessity. Usually when that happens people tend to be more understanding about funding it. Although I think we're a long way from making space stations efficient and the norm, I believe we'll get there eventually.

Problem might be where do we get all the resources to build them? I mean I'm sure you've all seen what we do to this planet already. How many more trees and mountains need to disappear for a couple sq mile space station to go up into orbit.
"None dare to engage the warrior at Dangyang....."
Zhao Yun of Changshan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby jiang cheng » Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:17 pm

It can be done but we would need to maintain a lot of space stations posts out there. Meaning that we would need to set so many space station within say how many light years and ensure that helps and food could arrive from one station should there be a failure in another one.
jiang cheng
Scholar

Unread postby Koichi » Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:10 am

Ooh I like this topic 8-)

An interesting question is where you guys think colonization is possible. For this idea to be feasible, a candidate location has to have a range of temperature tolerable to human habitation as well as the availability of crucial resources such as water. Mars seems to me to be the best candidate, with both water and a mean temperature of -50 F, a figure comparable to that found on many locations on Earth. Can you guys find any others?
Koichi
Scholar of Shen Zhou
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby char aznable » Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:46 am

i was more thinking that we could also have a coloney that is dedicated soley to that kind of stuff, send some of earth resources their and kind of make an artificial ecosystem
char aznable
Apprentice

Next

Return to World History Deliberation