Is space colonization impossible??

Discuss historical events and information concerning any culture, time, or location in our world (or even the frontier beyond).

Re: Is space colonization impossible??

Unread postby NOD » Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:42 pm

gundam style would be awsome. about the meteor problem, i know a missle might not work but its still there, i can imagen we wont make a big colony without a big missle to go with it, its just our nature.im more worried about vegitation and cattle, if earth hits a truley sorry state how fast can we produce these?
FOR KANE!!!
NOD
Assistant

Unread postby Lonely_dragon » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:42 pm

It is possible. With more and more advanced space technology being invented it is only a matter of time before we can colonize other planets and such... Almost all things are possible through technology... :)
"Know yourself Know your enemy you can win 100 battles, Know yourself and know not the enemy find win and defeat in equal measures, Know not yourself and know not the enemy defeated in every battle." Sun Tzu
Lonely_dragon
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby MistroPain » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:41 pm

Actually i think its very possible, but impossible at the moment.
Theirs a lot about space that hasnt been discovered but probably will. Those probes being sent out will aid research in Space Technology.
For Meteors im pretty certain that the colonies will be kept away from Astroid belts and therefore away from Meteors. The moon for example has hardly any meteors hitting it (I think). So ive never considered Meteors to be a problem.
Research with plants in the past couple of centuries have also been astounding, so to create the colony one would need to learn how to nurture plants better. Increase growth rates and photosynthesis rates of plants as to create a living enviroment. Afterall, somehow pumping out Oxygen isnt gonna work, else theyd probably be doing it here on Earth already considering all the Pollution. If it is possible, its probably EXTREMELY expensive and theyd need a powerful constant power source to do it...
Research with gravity has also helped, a colony needs to therefore ensure that the people stay on its surface. Planets wont have this problem entirely, however, if the moon or moons and places such as are what your talking about their may be a slight problem. After a while jumping around like crazy will get annoying and the death rate due to simply attempting to walk to school would be extremely high. Gravity is probably the biggest obstical to attaining space colonies.

However, all in all, i wouldnt be surprised if theyd do it within the next few centuries... Or even the next few decades.
Ofcourse chances are by the time theyve established one, Earth would be a dumping ground, almost impossible to live on. SO the real issue is not space expansion but to attempt to drop the pollution rates here, so that their is no need for space expansion in the near future (At least not until the counter reaches 20-30 billion as opposed to the current 6 bill we have)

Those are my opinions :P I know, i sound cocky and im talking like i know :(
Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ... - Louis Hector Berlioz
MistroPain
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Location: Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Unread postby dymlos timbre » Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:56 pm

this will never happen without a co effort world wide from nations aroudn the globe, they would have to be willing to do this and make the effort to spend the money. As things are now the world is in bad shape, with out a global government other countries would simply seek out the destruction of their enemies that built it.
dymlos timbre
Scholar

Unread postby MistroPain » Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:29 pm

Thats not necessarily true, US has been able to do whatever the hell they want whenever the hell they want... IF they stopped spending just half that money they do on Defence they could spend it on space technology and research and within a few years have themselves a prototype or some kind of breakthrough...
Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ... - Louis Hector Berlioz
MistroPain
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Location: Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Unread postby dymlos timbre » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:28 am

so far what we have been tinkering around in space with doesnt really rub off as "lethal" to my knowledge" (who the heck knows what they do) the fact is, if say america colonizes in space, enemie countrys wont just sit idle that is considered a threat becouse they are obviously up there AND down here and can expand there influence and population. Something like this should not be overlooked and terrorism can even occure in these colonies. that is why im saying, although it still wouldnt be perfect, but a unified world government will be needed to keeps things as controlled as possible.
dymlos timbre
Scholar

Unread postby Kristina » Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:23 am

I think it's very possible, if not possibly necessary in the future. With the way people tend to wreck the earth, we're gunna need somewhere else to destroy eventually.
Kristina
Certified Zombie Killer Harlequin
Certified Zombie Killer Harlequin

Unread postby Impertor234 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:51 pm

It is already possible we have the Technology to build them. The cost to build even one colony like in Gundam would bankrupt the united States in second. The whole Earth would have to join togather for somthing like this and I would not even Try to make colonys that big in till we are at least a Type one Civilization.
" In a man-to-man fight, the winner is he who has one more round in his magazine. "
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel 1939 C.E.
Impertor234
Tyro

Unread postby James » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:11 pm

dymlos timbre wrote:this will never happen without a co effort world wide from nations aroudn the globe, they would have to be willing to do this and make the effort to spend the money. As things are now the world is in bad shape, with out a global government other countries would simply seek out the destruction of their enemies that built it.

Sure it can happen. All that would do is speed any associated research.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby agga » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:38 pm

according to J Richard Gott's implementation of the 'Copernican Principle', there's a better than 50% chance that manned spaceflight, as an Earthbound human endeavor, will last between 62 and 188 years. we're already in year 48.

so, there's a medium-to-good chance that space colonization will never happen, because Earthlings will quit trying before they finally succeed at it. it's definitely possible, though.
造反有理!
agga
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to World History Deliberation