Is space colonization impossible??

Discuss historical events and information concerning any culture, time, or location in our world (or even the frontier beyond).

Re: Is space colonization impossible??

Unread postby SunXia » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:33 am

The far, distant future if ever really!! I don't think Warp speed will be invented as early as hoped!!
If becoming enlightened or an intellectual means I must become arrogant and coldly cynical about the world around me then I'd gladly remain a fool for the rest of my life!!

I'm Out4Marriage!!!Are You??

It is a CHOICE!!
SunXia
Warrior Princess
Warrior Princess

Location: Keeping Evils from this world at bay...with a smile!!

Unread postby Lord Yang Jiahua » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:35 am

This is the only history subject seeing action......

Huh. if i had to suggest a "what if" to travel thru space, how about Folding Space like the Guild Navigators do in the book series Dune?
"We Will Show Wu The Meaning of Fear!"-Cao Cao in DW6
"Politicians Are all the same all over, They Promise to build a bridge even when theres no river"-Nikita Khrushchev
Lord Yang Jiahua
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Jiang Zhi » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:32 pm

Answer could be found here:

Seriously though, it would be a while before anything like that could be constructed especially with the economy like this. Think of the resources and manpower required to make a self-sustainable colony. It is not like everybody involved would be working for free or are underpaid. It would take at least several tens of thousands or even a hundred thousand skilled workers to assemble something of the likes. The next problem is how to transport the material up to space?

What might be better is to perhaps mine asteroids and build it from there but the problem still remains - how can you transport megalitres or gigalitres of water into the space colony?

Not saying it's a stupid idea but it's not as practical for our technological level and economy at the moment.

I would love to see a Macross-style island/colony constructed nonetheless :)
Jiang Zhi of Foshan, style Maodi
~*!越武帝!*~ - 我愛我的妻子孫尚香!
Nan Hai, Jiaozhou

Laconius Arts and Design My Rot3K fanfiction
Jiang Zhi
Sun Shang Xiang's puppy-eyed slave

Unread postby princeherry » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:51 am

Possibly because of this, folks seem to think I ought to be an enthusiastic proponent of space exploration and space colonization. Space exploration? Yep, that's a fair cop — I'm all in favour of advancing the scientific enterprise. But actual space colonisation is another matter entirely, and those of a sensitive (or optimistic) disposition might want to stop reading right now ...
princeherry
Tyro

Previous

Return to World History Deliberation