chinese armor/weapons versus europeans armor/weapons

Discuss historical events and information concerning any culture, time, or location in our world (or even the frontier beyond).

chinese armor/weapons versus europeans armor/weapons

Unread postby diamyoshingen » Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:06 pm

witc htypes of armor and weapons do you beleive stronger??? was the chinese scale armor as effective as plate??? the dao to the long sword??? shields??
diamyoshingen
Tyro

Re: chinese armor/weapons versus europeans armor/weapons

Unread postby MistroPain » Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:43 pm

It depends, the reason why the crusades failed was because there armour was powerful and heavy, the soldiers were walking around in the desert in hot HEAVY armour.... The arabs beat em cause they were agile, fast and the heat was common....
But since this is chinese vs european id say if it was pre gunpowder then the Chinese would be better as there lances, swords and all that are more superior IMO.
Chinese weapons are designed to allow more movement aswell as more attack strains, the European armour and weapons limit the persons movement and attacks.
Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ... - Louis Hector Berlioz
MistroPain
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Location: Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Unread postby Jebusrocks » Sat Jun 14, 2008 2:45 am

imo, the European armor was much stronger

There are several reasons why:

Probably the biggest reason imo. A general Chinese national army consisted of about a million soldiers, even during pre-gunpowder times; compared to maybe a hundred thousand European. Because of this, only soldiers of special status (i.e. general, Col.) were given armor, and others were generally given next to almost no armor. Because we are talking in terms of armor, I'd give it to the Euros

As said before by Mistro, Heavy Cavalry in Europe was unrivalled. In fact, they were cladded in armor that once they stopped, they would often not be able to do anything due to the weight of their armor. Heavy lances in Europe were much stronger than Chinese counterparts.

I think the greatest example of when Asia met with Europe was during the Mongolian Conquest. The Mongolian trebuchets (much like the Chinese) could not scale Fan Cheng and Xiang Yiang for six years. European (well.. Arabian, but they were basically the same at the time) trebuchets destroyed the two cities in a matter of days
It is curious that the Americans, who calculate so carefully on the possibilities of military victory, do not realize that in the process they are incurring deep psychological and political defeat.
Jebusrocks
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby King Kong Zhou » Sat Jun 14, 2008 2:57 am

I once saw an interesting documentary making a comparison between eastern and western medieval warfare... It focused on the melee weapons that were used, and the types of fortresses that were built back then.

It's been a long time, but I remember that western weapons (swords to be more specific) were not even very sharp, they worked more as blunt metal weapons designed to tear open metal armors, while eastern weapons were a lot sharper, desined to hack off limbs and heads.

I had the notion by watching the documentary that western weapons adapted to the type of protection used by their soldiers, while eastern weapons (used along with more well-developed fighting techniques) made it necessary the use of light armor, that would absorb the impact of light weapons and avoid limbs to be cut off.

In the end, it was not possible to define one of them as superior.
"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject." - Sir Winston Churchill
King Kong Zhou
Changshi

Unread postby diamyoshingen » Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:13 pm

interesting, so that would cancel the idea of "who's better than who" meaning posts like this and things like "European knight versus samurai" useless becouse they each used weapons that fit there region. so i guess saying if these two regions fought a big blood yand confusing battle would erupt each trying to fight their own way, needless to say i beleive they each would adapt and forge/ make new weapons and armor to counter each other

as for the siegeing of xiang yan and fen cheng, that could have been becouse they put up more of a resistance it would be hard to tell becouse of many factors why a seige took longer than other. also wasnt china more developed than any other country in the world??? that is until gun powder but even then they had alot of gun powder weapons (fire lances and other flamery equipment)of course they could have developed far faster if they accepted change as much as europeans did. in any case china created there sword out of a strong steel called wootz metal, witch is basically the same as europeans damascus.
diamyoshingen
Tyro

Unread postby MistroPain » Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:08 pm

diamyoshingen wrote:also wasnt china more developed than any other country in the world???

Thats not true -_-
China had its time when it was the most development but it wasnt the most developed 100% all the way until gunpowder!
Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ... - Louis Hector Berlioz
MistroPain
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby diamyoshingen » Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:26 pm

ah that makes sense, thanks for clearing that one up, i just remember them makeing alot of scientific advances that others havent. but it makes sense seeing as romans were the first to create a sewer system, and i dont know if the chinese did or not
diamyoshingen
Tyro

Unread postby MistroPain » Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:47 pm

diamyoshingen wrote:ah that makes sense, thanks for clearing that one up, i just remember them makeing alot of scientific advances that others havent. but it makes sense seeing as romans were the first to create a sewer system, and i dont know if the chinese did or not

Well actually the Indus Valley people created Sewers before the Romans did, however, i think the Romans were the first to create covered sewer systems.
MistroPain
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lord LuBu » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:36 pm

Well, I would say the chinese but it wpould depend on a few important variables:

Time period

The chinese would have a huge advantage against the europeans because of the crossbow and the automatic crossbow. This is a huge advantage, however, if the weather was terrible this advantage would be lessoned if the Europeans were smart about it. There is so much different styles of Europeans armor so its hard for me to say anything on that. The chinese had to use its long history of military ability and specialized weapons to defeat the Europeans.

Zhuge Liang vs. Caesar, now that would be interesting! :lol:
Everything has a weakness, nothing is ever flawless
Lord LuBu
Initiate

Unread postby diamyoshingen » Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:02 am

but really wouldnt each adapt to eac hother and lear nhow t ocounter one another??? i can see the europeans and chinese creating new weaponry that would adapt to counter there own fighting styles
diamyoshingen
Tyro

Next

Return to World History Deliberation