Great one in the shadow

Discuss historical events and information concerning any culture, time, or location in our world (or even the frontier beyond).

Re: Great one in the shadow

Unread postby Crazedmongoose » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:37 am

Qu Hui wrote:I don't know if he counts, but Kangxi, emperor of Qing from 1661-1722 was a great ruler who basically established Qing dominance in Asia, and he had the longest reign of any Chinese empeor. I think he's often overlooked becasue of his grandson Qianlong.

Kangxi is consistently ranked as one of the best Chinese emperors, alongside Li Shimin and Han Wudi. So no, not underrated.

Qian Long is popular in history because of the romantic nature of his life and reign. But actually Qian Long shouldn't be counted as a good Emperor as he emptied the treasury (which his father Yong Zheng spent his entire reign selflessly building up) and allowed corruption to go way out of control.
Crazedmongoose
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Re: Great one in the shadow

Unread postby Jebusrocks » Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:14 am

I personally believe Shaka Zulu is cast on the shadow of Western and Asian leaders in being recognized as one of the world's most brilliant, innovative generals in history.
He had the tactical brilliance of Hannibal, he organized as good as Peter of the Great of Russia, his strategic conquests rivals Temujin's conquests, and he was as innovative as Gaius Marius
It is curious that the Americans, who calculate so carefully on the possibilities of military victory, do not realize that in the process they are incurring deep psychological and political defeat.
Jebusrocks
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Previous

Return to World History Deliberation