Favorite Historical Samurai

Discuss historical events and information concerning any culture, time, or location in our world (or even the frontier beyond).

Re: Favorite Historical Samurai

Unread postby DaiSin » Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:26 am

I've got a couple questions for some of the more enlighted people regarding the Sengoku period of Japan...

Who were some of the most incompetent Daimyos? Other than Tatsuoki and Ujizane and Ouchi...?
Just curious really.

Also, I was wondering if there is a book comparable to ROTK about Sengoku era Japan that has been translated to English? Let me know if you can. Thanks.
Thief, steal me a peach!!
DaiSin
Initiate

Unread postby Lonely_dragon » Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:20 am

DaiSin wrote:I've got a couple questions for some of the more enlighted people regarding the Sengoku period of Japan...

Who were some of the most incompetent Daimyos? Other than Tatsuoki and Ujizane and Ouchi...?
Just curious really.

Also, I was wondering if there is a book comparable to ROTK about Sengoku era Japan that has been translated to English? Let me know if you can. Thanks.

Hmm there's a novel called Taiko that told about Sengoku Era and I've heard it is quite good the book itself is very thick and very informative...

via google search:

http://books.google.co.id/books?id=7eViflk6d9IC&printsec=frontcover&dq=taiko
"Know yourself Know your enemy you can win 100 battles, Know yourself and know not the enemy find win and defeat in equal measures, Know not yourself and know not the enemy defeated in every battle." Sun Tzu
Lonely_dragon
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Pierre Beauregard » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:23 am

my three are ones that no one meant yet. Shibata Katsuie Kobayakawa Hidekane ( my fav) and Chosokabe Motochika
Louisiana Tigers
Pierre Beauregard
Initiate

Unread postby mrwongshappymushu » Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:00 am

Mine would be:

Hōjō Sōun (北条 早雲?, 1432 – September 8, 1519) was the first head of the Late Hōjō clan, one of the major powers in Japan's Sengoku period. Born Ise Moritoki, he was originally known as Ise Shinkurō, a samurai of Taira lineage from a family of little importance or power, he fought his way up, gaining territory and changing his name to the illustrious Hōjō.

Hōjō Ujimasa (北条氏政?) (1538 - August 10, 1590) was the fourth head of the late Hōjō clan, and daimyo of Odawara. He commanded in many battles, consolidating his clan's position, and retired in 1590. His son Hōjō Ujinao became head of the clan and lord of Odawara, but later that year they failed to hold Odawara against the forces of Toyotomi Hideyoshi (see Siege of Odawara (1590)). Ujimasa was forced to commit suicide along with his brother Ujiteru.

Like many samurai who committed seppuku in the face of shameful defeat, Ujimasa composed a death poem:

Autumn wind of eve
Blow away the clouds that mass
O'er the moon's pure light.
And the mists that cloud our mind
Do thou sweep away as well.
(雨雲の おほへる月も 胸の霧も はらひにけりな 秋の夕風)

Now we disappear
Well, what must we think of it?
From the sky we came
Now we may go back again
That's at least one point of view.
(我が身今 消ゆとやいかに 思ふべき 空より来たり 空へ帰れば)

(吹きとふく 風な恨みそ 花の春 紅葉も残る 秋あらばこそ)

Uesugi Kenshin (上杉 謙信?, February 18, 1530–April 19, 1578) was a daimyo who ruled Echigo province in the Sengoku period of Japan.

He was one of the many powerful lords of the Sengoku period. He is famed for his prowess on the battlefield, the legendary rivalry with Takeda Shingen, his military expertise, strategy and his belief in the god of war — Bishamonten. In fact, many of his followers and others believed him to be the avatar of Bishamonten, and called Kenshin god of war.
mrwongshappymushu
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby mrwongshappymushu » Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:01 am

Uesugi Kenshin (上杉 謙信?, February 18, 1530–April 19, 1578)

Nickname Dragon of Echigo, God of War
Place of birth Echigo Province, Japan
Place of death Echigo Province, Japan
Allegiance Uesugi family
Rank Lord (Daimyō)
Battles/wars Battles of Kawanakajima, Siege of Odawara (1561), Battle of Tedorigawa, many others

He's my very fav
mrwongshappymushu
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Cao Chao » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:42 am

Without a doubt, my favorite is Takeda Shingen (武田信玄, 1521-1573), the Tiger of Kai. He was renowned as one of the most powerful Daimyos during Japan's Warring States Period and as an extremely able military commander renowned for his use of Sunzi's The Art of War and especially the concept of Fūrinkazan (Swift as the Wind, Silent as a Forest, Fierce as Fire and Immovable as a Mountain).The Daimyo is known primarily for his legendary feud with Uesugi Kenshin, the Dragon of Echigo, especially the five battles fought at Kawanakajima. Few are aware about his campaigns in Shinano before the feud with the Uesugi or of his later campaigns against the Imagawa and then against Tokugawa Ieyasu. At the time, he was the only Daimyo capable of challenging Oda Nobunaga, but died under uncertain circumstances not long after the Battle of Mikatagahara. If he had lived, he would surely have been an important player in the events that led to the formation of the Tokugawa Shogunate. He was so influential that much of the Bakufu's law, administrative, and tax systems were modeled upon his institutions.

He was a great general, warrior, and statesman. What more can you ask from a samurai?
曹操曰:宁教我负天下人,休教天下人负我!
Cao Chao
Langzhong

Unread postby dymlos timbre » Sun May 02, 2010 5:55 am

^ thats basically his Bio on samurai archives lol but never-the-less a great diamyo, I for one though Love nobunaga, he achieved so much and had it ripped away to soon. be was doing alot to modernize japan and create a economical super power within the state. there are TONS of noteworthy clans of the period to naming just a few is impossible.
dymlos timbre
Scholar

Unread postby mrbeate » Mon May 03, 2010 1:42 am

Kagetora Nagao of course. Even though there may be a possibility that he/she may be a woman. The man equaled the Takeda Clan/Harunobu who had greater generals and a more fearsome army.
Smoke, drink, relieve my stress
mrbeate
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby dymlos timbre » Mon May 03, 2010 8:27 am

I love harunobu Takeda as well, he was very loyal to his retainers. Its hard to say 1 in particular because the sengoku era was filled with so many talented individuals. Though i would have loved to see the out come of harunobu's campaign had he lived. Also i find it ironic that at nagashino nobufasa baba told katsuyori to stay and remain in position behind the river, then later in the era Tokugawa cited that had he done just that it would have forced the combined army to retreat. its a shame too katsuyori was doing pretty well for himself at first.
dymlos timbre
Scholar

Unread postby Pierre Beauregard » Wed May 05, 2010 1:59 am

i agree takeda shingun. He chage the lower class and help with the major crimes in kai
Louisiana Tigers
Pierre Beauregard
Initiate

PreviousNext

Return to World History Deliberation