Favorite Historical Samurai

Discuss historical events and information concerning any culture, time, or location in our world (or even the frontier beyond).

Re: Favorite Historical Samurai

Unread postby Jordan » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:01 pm

Changing my list a little:

Yoshitsugu is still on there.
Tokugawa Ieyasu gets a nod for being a brilliant commander throughout his entire life.
Kenshin and Masamune are still on there.
Lastly, I really like Mori Motonari.

My opinions have changed about Mitsunari and Takanobu.
Jordan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby MarvelousLingTong!!!!!! » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:42 pm

My opinions have changed about Mitsunari

You were always a big fan of Mitsunari. What made you change your mind about him?
"Nooooooooo hot sexy wife!!!" - Martin Schean
MarvelousLingTong!!!!!!
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Shah Muhammad III » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:13 am

i like Baba Nobufusa,Ōtani Yoshitsugu and Hisahide Matsunaga
Denn du bist was du isst Und ihr wisst was es ist ,stein um stein mauer ich dich ein
Shah Muhammad III
Academic

Unread postby weiyan405 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:18 pm

honda tadakatsu:
can't believe he's hardly being mentioned. never touched in over 55 battles, or if he was it was just a scratch. pretty brave when you can wear something like deer antlers on your head that makes you stick out like a sore thumb and as many people who looked for a chance to bring him down none ever did. Tokugawa very well may not have succeeded without him. His spear, the famed tonbo giri, is still known as one of the three great spears of Japan.

uesugi kenshin:
decisively beat a massive army led by oda nobunaga and shibata katsuie which vastly outnumbered his own. known as the "dragon of echigo" for his martial prowess on the battlefield. only found one worthy adversary (takeda shingen) and was on the eve of a large scale invasion of the oda camp when he met an untimely death, most likely due to a stroke, but there are contradicting theories about the circumstances surrounding his death. oda nobunaga sighed in relief upon finding out about uesugi's death, as he was quoted as saying the land now belonged to him with kenshin no longer in the way.

oda nobunaga:
still known as one of the three unifers of japan, with an almost immeasurable number of battles and conquests in which he orchestrated and usually succeeded, his relentless military campaign was stopped only by the treachery of one of his own subjects, mitsuhide akechi, who forced him to commit seppuku. his alliance with his former nemesis, tokugawa ieyasu, made the difference in many major battles, including sekigahara, and he was even a major factor in social and public policy reform

maeda keiji:
a bold warrior who never backed down from a challenge, charging into battle on his own at times. he was known for his fierce fighting spirit and many accounts were made of his skill and prowess on the battlefield. He had a pretty good resume, too, as he served two great warlords (oda nobunaga and uesugi kenshin) and became an invaluable asset to whomever he served. in the battle against the Mogami he broke through the enemy lines with just 8 riders accompanying him and shattered the enemy formation. this alone gets him in my top 5

takeda shingen:
"the tiger of kai" and long-time nemesis of uesugi kenshin. they fought at least 5 times at kawanakajima. takeda shingen, born takeda taro, became a threat to the oda nobunaga as he continued to expand his power and influence into the twilight of his years. he captured Futamata from tokugawa ieyasu then defeated the oda-tokugawa coalition at the battle of mikatagahara but died of illness shortly thereafter. it is said that upon hearing the news of takeda shingen's death that uesugi kenshin literally wept for the loss of such an adversary and he swore he would never attack the takeda clan and their lands again.
weiyan405
Apprentice

Unread postby weiyan405 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:25 pm

and to those who adore tokugawa ieyasu i apologize. he was a good general but his success weighed heavily on those around him so i hesitate to give him the distinction as one of the greatest samauris ever or even in that era, for that matter.
weiyan405
Apprentice

Unread postby Lonely_dragon » Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:00 am

We're all talking about Sengoku era here... let's take a look a little behind and we will find a great historical Samurai... Being named:

Minamoto No Yoshitsune

Yoshitsune was born during the Heiji Rebellion of 1159 in which his father and oldest two brothers were killed. His life was spared and he was put under the care of Kurama Temple 鞍馬寺, nestled in the Hiei Mountains near the capital of Kyoto, while Yoritomo was banished to Izu Province. Eventually, Yoshitsune was put under the protection of Fujiwara no Hidehira, head of the powerful regional Northern Fujiwara clan in Hiraizumi, Mutsu Province.

A skillful swordsman, he defeated the legendary warrior monk Benkei in a duel. From then on, Benkei became Yoshitsune's right-hand man, eventually dying with him at the Siege of Koromogawa.

In 1180, Yoshitsune heard that Yoritomo, now head of the Minamoto clan, had raised an army at the request of Prince Mochihito to fight against the Taira clan which had usurped the power of the emperor. Yoshitsune shortly thereafter joined Yoritomo, along with Minamoto no Noriyori, all brothers who had never before met, in the last of three conflicts between the rival Minamoto and Taira samurai clans, known as the Genpei War.

Yoshitsune defeated and killed his rival cousin Minamoto no Yoshinaka at the Battle of Awazu in Ōmi Province in the first month of 1184 and in the next month defeated the Taira at the Battle of Ichi-no-Tani in present day Kobe. In 1185, Yoshitsune defeated the Taira again at the Battle of Yashima in Shikoku and destroyed them at the Battle of Dan-no-ura in present day Yamaguchi Prefecture.

After the Gempei War, Yoshitsune joined the cloistered Emperor Go-Shirakawa against his brother Yoritomo. Fleeing to the temporary protection of Fujiwara no Hidehira in Mutsu again, Yoshitsune was betrayed, defeated at the Battle of Koromo River, and forced to commit seppuku along with his wife and daughter, by Hidehira's son Fujiwara no Yasuhira. Yoshitsune is enshrined in the Shinto shrine Shirahata Jinja in Fujisawa.

Yoshitsune has long been a popular figure in Japanese literature and culture due to his appearance as the main character in the third section of the Japanese literary classic Heike Monogatari (Tale of the Heike). The Japanese term for "sympathy for a tragic hero", hangan-biiki, comes from Yoshitsune's title hangan, which he received from the Imperial Court.

He is also my top 5 favourite Samurai... 8-)
"Know yourself Know your enemy you can win 100 battles, Know yourself and know not the enemy find win and defeat in equal measures, Know not yourself and know not the enemy defeated in every battle." Sun Tzu
Lonely_dragon
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Mike » Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:30 am

Lonely_dragon wrote:We're all talking about Sengoku era here... let's take a look a little behind and we will find a great historical Samurai... Being named:

Minamoto No Yoshitsune

He is also my top 5 favourite Samurai... 8-)

That's more like it. Samurai from before the Sengoku era!

I'm going to take the opposite side and go with Taira no Kiyomori. A capable warrior (ie: defeating Minamoto no Yoshitomo), but also shrewd in manuevering through court politics to rise to power. He also dies an interesting way (if you look at it from the point of view of legend).

Here's a neat depiction by Yoshitoshi: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... _Fever.jpg
Mike
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby DaiSin » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:06 am

Yoshimoto Imagawa...
Shingen Takeda...
Of Course Nobunaga...
Bust mostly, Takanobu Ryuzoji..
Thief, steal me a peach!!
DaiSin
Initiate

Unread postby DaiSin » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:10 am

PhoenixRising wrote:
Lonely_dragon wrote:Uhh... Kenshin? I guess you mean Shingen right?

Ups! sorry,he5 :P yeah right i mean Shingen.

Ahh you like them because of their intelegent right? :D
for Masayuki, because his son Yukimura was your favorite? 8-)

hmm the most i respected Shingen's general was Baba Nobufusa. really brave and wise general.

btw bro, you should buy this comic book "sengoku"....it's about person named Sengoku Jonbee who is a simple minded soldier. first he joint Saito Dosan. and then he because the most trusted soldier in Hideyoshi rank.
Quite interesting, Takenaka Hanbei just like Zhuge Liang, Hideyoshi like Liu Bei. in this comic book there also about formations and strategy.
Interesting for sure! Umm how could I go about acquiring this? Keep in mind I DO live in Canada.. :lol:
Thief, steal me a peach!!
DaiSin
Initiate

Unread postby Mad PumpkinPie » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:22 am

Imagawa Yoshimoto:
Famed for his defeat at Okehazama victim to Oda Nobunagas suprise attack, but before this in his early life he was a hugely succesfull commander, He brought Nobuhides Oda clan to its knees and saved Leyasu Tokugawa in the process, without this man the famed Nobunaga Oda may never had gained control of the Oda clan, and The great Shogun Leyasu may never had shaped japan in the way he did,
Mad PumpkinPie
Tyro

PreviousNext

Return to World History Deliberation