Favorite Historical Samurai

Discuss historical events and information concerning any culture, time, or location in our world (or even the frontier beyond).

Re: Favorite Historical Samurai

Unread postby Zhuanyong » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:53 pm

Tiger of Kai wrote:
Zhuanyong wrote:Li Naomasa, this guy and his red armor -- I even hate fighting him on Samurai Warriors and often recruit him into my army on Empires. He was successful at Sekigahara.

I've also been a fan of the Yagyu and Sanada clans.

II Naomasa is one of my favorites as well. Although, he wasn't the first to adopt the all-red armor look, he was definitely the most famous for it! Sanada Masayuki is another one I admire. He's often overlooked in favor of Yukimura, but I would argue he was >Yukimura.

I believe part of that to be due to the legends that were associated with Yukimura rather than Masayuki.

In all honesty, I enjoy using him on Samurai Warriors as he is basically the 'posterboy' of the series and they have dressed up his appearance as fan service i.e. Zhao Yun in Dynasty Warriors.

Another samurai I enjoyed learning about is Hosokawa Tadaoki, he fought for Oda Nobunaga and aided Tokugawa during Sekigahara against Ishida and the Toyotomi remnant. He married Akechi Mitsuhide's daughter who the Gracie character is based on in Samurai Warriors.
Last edited by Zhuanyong on Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[No comment]
Zhuanyong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Tiger of Kai » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:55 pm

Zhuanyong wrote:
Tiger of Kai wrote:
Zhuanyong wrote:Li Naomasa, this guy and his red armor -- I even hate fighting him on Samurai Warriors and often recruit him into my army on Empires. He was successful at Sekigahara.

I've also been a fan of the Yagyu and Sanada clans.

II Naomasa is one of my favorites as well. Although, he wasn't the first to adopt the all-red armor look, he was definitely the most famous for it! Sanada Masayuki is another one I admire. He's often overlooked in favor of Yukimura, but I would argue he was >Yukimura.

I believe part of that to be due to the legends that were associated with Yukimura rather than Masayuki.

Yep, and the legend that surrounds Yukimura is pretty much comprised of his exploits at Osaka. BTW, the opening scene from Samurai Warriors that depicts Yukimura at Osaka is awesome!
Tiger of Kai
Initiate

Unread postby Jordan » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:12 am

Considering what Yukimura was up against, he commanded and fought extremely well at the Osaka sieges.

Can't remember if I mentioned him earlier in this thread, but Nabeshima Naoshige was a very impressive general of the period. Not sure if he's my favorite at this point, but he's up there.
Jordan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby BSamurai1399 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:26 am

Nice discussion, but before I say anything, Kimura Shigenari is my ancestor and he will always be my favorite samurai. (He had gold and silver armor, what's not to like? He also had a wakezashi made by Masamune.) I'm just thinking that it was a bit too far for Li Naotaka to kill him so severly. I know beheading was popular among samurai, but did you really have to bury him without it? :cry: I think that was a bit wrong, what do you guys think? (I respect Li Naotaka and the "Red Demons" but I just want to know your opinions.)
BSamurai1399
Tyro

Unread postby Jordan » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:32 am

I vaguely remember Kimura Shigenari as one of the staunch Osaka defenders. I always thought that many of those guys were interesting, and Kimura was one of the best along with Sanada Yukimura and Chosokabe Morichika. I don't really remember how he died, but I know he was one of the samurai that contributed a lot to the cause even if it was ultimately unsuccessful.
Jordan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zhuanyong » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:07 pm

BSamurai1399 wrote:Nice discussion, but before I say anything, Kimura Shigenari is my ancestor and he will always be my favorite samurai. (He had gold and silver armor, what's not to like? He also had a wakezashi made by Masamune.) I'm just thinking that it was a bit too far for Li Naotaka to kill him so severly. I know beheading was popular among samurai, but did you really have to bury him without it? :cry: I think that was a bit wrong, what do you guys think? (I respect Li Naotaka and the "Red Demons" but I just want to know your opinions.)

It was possibly necessary for their (Ii Naotaka heir of Naomasa) cause. Honestly, based on the era itself -- are there any records that show he attested to it. He may have welcomed it at defeat as an honorable death.

Especially with rituals such as seppuku that were carried out as an honorable death to 'some' who were defeated in battle or war.

[No comment]
Zhuanyong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Tiger of Kai » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:23 pm

BSamurai1399 wrote:Nice discussion, but before I say anything, Kimura Shigenari is my ancestor and he will always be my favorite samurai. (He had gold and silver armor, what's not to like? He also had a wakezashi made by Masamune.) I'm just thinking that it was a bit too far for Li Naotaka to kill him so severly. I know beheading was popular among samurai, but did you really have to bury him without it? :cry: I think that was a bit wrong, what do you guys think? (I respect Li Naotaka and the "Red Demons" but I just want to know your opinions.)

It's Ii, and their units were known as the "Red Devils."

My favorite story of Shigenari is that he burned incense inside of his helmet to make his head a more attractive trophy for the enemy. Ieyasu was said to have been very impressed with this act.
Tiger of Kai
Initiate

Unread postby BSamurai1399 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:41 pm

Thanks for the feedback, I'm going to visit his grave in Japan when I go this summer. Oh, and do you guys know anything of the Japanese name Kokame? It's my mom's last name and like my dad, her family never sold their last name and I believe that the name was never given to anyone else. We have a close friend of Tokugawa descendent (Ironic huh?) who went into the temple records and said that both our families are of samurai ancestry. Maybe the records were destroyed, went missing, I don't know. Oh and one more thing, Kimura Shigenari was supposingly Christian, so that might explain why he isn't recorded extensively.
BSamurai1399
Tyro

Unread postby Cao Hong 14 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:54 am

Well I don't now a ton about the historical Sengoku period, I know a bit but not near as much as I know about the Three Kingdoms Era. Some of my favorites(not necessarily best) generals include:

Maeda Toshiie
Ishida Mitsunari
Oda Nobunaga
Sanada Yukimura
Akechi Mitsuhide
Toyotomi Hideyoshi
Torii Mototada
Honda Tadakatsu
li Naomasa
Kuroda Kanbei
"Change is the law of life. And those who only look to the past or present are certain to miss the future. "
- President John F. Kennedy
Cao Hong 14
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby rsetiawan » Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:19 am

oda nobunaga, though I dont understand why he is so addicted with collecting ceramic teaset :D
rsetiawan
Initiate

PreviousNext

Return to World History Deliberation